follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 07-12-2019, 07:44 PM   #1
Shizuka

Drives: 2018 BRZ PP (Modified)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
HKS Spec L Catback Review (carbon tips)

So I installed this catback a couple weeks ago now, and I figured I'd give my thoughts on this exhaust since I couldn't find that much information on it when I was looking into purchasing it. For reference my car is a 2018 BRZ Performance Pack (completely stock engine other than a Perrin inlet tube).

I also made a video review of the install w/ sound clips and flybys for those interested (stock vs. HKS direct comparison @ 19:45): [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcDOcU8brPs[/ame]

Price Paid - $740 plus tax

At this price, I think the system is completely worth it; it is an extremely high-quality piece and I would say that anywhere around $800 makes it a great value. I believe the original MSRP was over $1000 when it came out but I could be wrong there. Either way it's a solid deal for a name brand JDM style catback.

Fitment / Ease of Installation

The fitment on the HKS system was perfect, and all necessary hardware was included in the box. I had never installed an aftermarket catback before, but the whole process was simple and straightforward. I think the whole install including jacking up the car and taking off the stock exhaust only took about an 1.5 - 2hrs with me doing it at a leisurely pace since I'm a noob at this stuff. Also, aligning the dual canisters was easy as well-- I got them to poke out symmetrically without any issues at all.

Volume & Tone

So here's where I feel like I have some different opinions than the few comments I found on the internet and forums before purchasing the HKS system.

In my research it seemed like most people thought the Spec L w/ carbon tips was fairly tame, with some people wishing it was louder after purchasing it. In my experience though, it's pretty loud, especially outside the car. It's immediately noticeable that you're driving a modified car, which depending on who you are, might be either a good thing or bad thing. Yeah it's not quite as loud as an Invidia N1, but pulling off the line, cold starts, and revving it out will definitely get you some attention. It seems to me that a lot of people online classify some exhaust setups as "loud" where I would classify them as "deafening" -- maybe I'm getting old after all... The volume is definitely livable though, but it's also noticeable and a lot of fun when you step on it. But under no circumstances would I say that it's "quiet", especially from outside the car or with the windows down.

The tone is lower and throatier than stock, with a little bit of a metallic resonance to it-- however, it's definitely not raspy. If I had to describe the tone to someone I'd say it's something like "warm and metallic" if that makes any sense. The HKS is definitely higher in pitch than a lot of the catbacks made for the BRZ though, and I feel that it's more focused around the mids than just pure bass like the GReddy EVO GT or N1. The HKS does have a little bit of boom when you're in lower RPMs or lugging the engine slightly, but once you get into the upper rev range it really opens up and sings. It's definitely not a fart can system. The Spec L really does sound great and after getting an alignment on my new coilovers done, the tech gave my BRZ a rip up the street and then the owner of the muffler shop next door came by to ask what exhaust it was because it sounded so good. Mr. muffler shop guy also loved the build quality of the tips

Does it drone?

After letting it break in, yeah, it drones a little bit, despite the internet saying only the titanium tip version drones. It has a boom that comes in between 2.6k-3k RPM, especially under load or while engine braking. Just to be specific as well, I don't mean while accelerating, the drone happens while you hold the accelerator in place while in this RPM range (while going uphill etc...). Is it a dealbreaker? Nah, I don't think so. It's also worse for me because I live in hilly Southern California so I'm basically in those two conditions all the time, but it's not that bad overall. If you're in Kansas, Florida, or somewhere mostly flat I doubt you'd notice it much. There is essentially zero drone at highway speed, even 80+ MPH while cruising though, so that's good. You can also just keep the RPM a little above 3k and you'll never hear it.

Cruising around town or on highway drone = no. Under load or engine braking = yes.

Performance / Compatibility with Headers

Oddly enough, I think the car actually does pull harder up top, and I'm usually skeptical toward any power gains from catbacks. Once you get out of the torque dip and climb up toward 5k RPM and beyond, it seems like the little power surge you get there is stronger than it was before. The tech who aligned my car and does a lot of 86s also thought I had a tune or some kind of power mods when he test drove my car as well-- he was surprised to find out it was all stock besides the Spec L. Could just be the 2017+ gearing/engine revisions or that the HKS weighs about half as much as the stock system. Who knows.

I'd say that the HKS system would be a good performance complement to a full exhaust system with aftermarket headers and all that, but I know it would be wayyyy too loud for me in that configuration. I also think that it could get raspy very easily since it has a naturally metallic tone that isn't as deep as some others. The weight savings are definitely a bonus though if you're really trying to squeeze every ounce of performance out of your ride.

tl:dr Sounds good, pretty loud, good build quality, BRZ might pull harder than before. Drones slightly but easily daily drivable.
Shizuka is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Shizuka For This Useful Post:
EndlessAzure (07-15-2019), mrg666 (07-14-2019), SuperTom (12-23-2019), weederr33 (07-12-2019)
Old 07-12-2019, 08:11 PM   #2
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,586 Times in 2,928 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Nice choice! I have the HKS Legamax Sport with a full exhaust paired with it. But to me, it's still to quite unless the back seats are down. Lol so I've considered this catback to replace it. I think it sounds pretty good, even with a stock system.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to weederr33 For This Useful Post:
Shizuka (07-12-2019)
Old 07-12-2019, 08:22 PM   #3
Shizuka

Oh nice, I was looking at the legamax sports system before too! Ended up going with this one because I like that canister look. I'm sure it would add some volume to your setup if that's what you're looking for
Old 07-14-2019, 10:33 AM   #4
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Thanks for this very nice review. I have the Ti tip version of the exhaust combined with HKS dual resonator front pipe (with stock header and overpipe). I agree with all of your review. The sound is great, it got a bit louder with the HKS front pipe. I agree that there is noticeably better throttle response at higher rpm range (even more so with the front pipe). Try copper silicone gasket after midpipe. It reduces the sound and makes less metallic (as you describe). I have noticed after one year that sound quality improved actually. By the way, ~20 lbs weight savings is actually pretty significant.
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mrg666 For This Useful Post:
Shizuka (07-14-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 03:58 PM   #5
Shizuka

Eventually I may look into the HKS front pipe, but it's not CA legal so that's really the only thing stopping me now
Old 07-14-2019, 04:50 PM   #6
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,586 Times in 2,928 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizuka View Post
Eventually I may look into the HKS front pipe, but it's not CA legal so that's really the only thing stopping me now
If you're gonna go the "illegal route" you might as well skip the front pipe and get headers lol

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 06:26 PM   #7
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weederr33 View Post
If you're gonna go the "illegal route" you might as well skip the front pipe and get headers lol
When I installed the catback alone the improvement at high rpm was very subtle, maybe it was just placebo. Combined with the front pipe, exhaust is straight-through all the way after the first cat now. And the difference is clearly noticeable even without a tune. I still use JR CARB certified tune.
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 09:13 PM   #8
Shizuka

Honestly I'm probably going to skip the headers and OFT because I don't think I'll be satisfied with the power increase for how much it costs, and I don't really want to run e85 either. I'll probably get the JRSC eventually once my warranty is up, or if I become independently wealthy in the next year LOL
Old 07-15-2019, 09:28 AM   #9
Prof.BRZ

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Good Review on the cat back system, I have the same one installed on my BRZ but I have an ACE A350 Header, and stock front pipe. With the ace header it is definitely louder than having the stock one, and having the equal length header combined with the exhaust the sound is pretty unique (metallicish/ throaty as mentioned) as comapred to all the deep boxer sound a lot of people go for. Your tl:dr pretty much sums it up well, good choice
Prof.BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Prof.BRZ For This Useful Post:
Shizuka (07-15-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 08:44 PM   #10
Shizuka

Yeah the HKS system is definitely a more unique sound compared to a lot of the other catbacks for the 86-- you should def post a sound clip of the Spec-L with Ace header, would be interesting to hear the combo!
Old 07-15-2019, 11:48 PM   #11
EndlessAzure
Wheels for Brains

Drives: '14 FR-S [37J] | Daily/Track
Garage
I originally wanted the HKS Spec-L, but many videos pairing it with a catless header and FP (even HKS's own exhaust system highlight reel) didn't leave me with a good impression. I personally ended up going with another catback system for my build.

Otherwise catback-only, this system probably offers the best sound at price point IMO
EndlessAzure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EndlessAzure For This Useful Post:
Shizuka (07-16-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 02:29 PM   #12
Shizuka

Yeah I think catless the Spec-L could definitely get raspy, but would be cool to see some flames pop out of those canisters
Old 07-17-2019, 10:23 AM   #13
Prof.BRZ

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizuka View Post
Yeah the HKS system is definitely a more unique sound compared to a lot of the other catbacks for the 86-- you should def post a sound clip of the Spec-L with Ace header, would be interesting to hear the combo!
Ill work on getting a sound clip and post it, hopefully there is some nicer weather here this weekend.
Prof.BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Prof.BRZ For This Useful Post:
Shizuka (07-17-2019)
Old 10-15-2019, 04:57 PM   #14
Shizuka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof.BRZ View Post
Ill work on getting a sound clip and post it, hopefully there is some nicer weather here this weekend.
Yo prof, did you ever get any videos of the Spec-L with Ace header? My friend might be selling his to me so I was gonna see what the combo sounds like.

He had a Tomei type-80 so it was louuuuuuuuudddd

Tags
catback, exhaust, hks exhaust, hks spec l, hks spec l brz exhaust