follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 06-13-2016, 10:27 AM   #1
armstrom

Drives: none
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Is there a Subaru TSB for the direct injector seals?

I've searched extensively but cannot find a Subaru TSB for the detonation issue at throttle tip-in that causes injector seal failure. Does such a thing exist? I've seen the Toyota TSB from South Africa that's floating around but somehow I doubt my local Subaru dealer will care about that one bit I'm having the detonation problem on my 2013 BRZ and am planning to take it in to the dealership this week so I would like to be prepared.

Thanks!
-Matt
armstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 10:39 AM   #2
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by armstrom View Post
I've searched extensively but cannot find a Subaru TSB for the detonation issue at throttle tip-in that causes injector seal failure. Does such a thing exist? I've seen the Toyota TSB from South Africa that's floating around but somehow I doubt my local Subaru dealer will care about that one bit I'm having the detonation problem on my 2013 BRZ and am planning to take it in to the dealership this week so I would like to be prepared.

Thanks!
-Matt
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/attac...1&d=1375302652

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21868
humfrz (06-13-2016)
Old 06-13-2016, 11:26 AM   #3
armstrom

Thanks for the reply! I had actually found that one already but that's related to the cam shaft sensors. This issue is specifically related to the ECU mapping being incorrect at throttle tip-in during shifts and whatnot.
edit: Ugh.. apparently I can't link to another forum... This thread discusses the problem in detail and the youtube video linked there shows the toyota of south africa TSB at the beginning. http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...ica+detonation

-Matt
Old 06-13-2016, 11:48 AM   #4
Tcoat

Quote:
Thanks for the reply! I had actually found that one already but that's related to the cam shaft sensors. This issue is specifically related to the ECU mapping being incorrect at throttle tip-in during shifts and whatnot.
edit: Ugh.. apparently I can't link to another forum... This thread discusses the problem in detail and the youtube video linked there shows the toyota of south africa TSB at the beginning. http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...ica+detonation

-Matt
It is sort of buried in that one but this addresses the misfire issue that was taking out the injectors as well as several other items.
If you are talking just the ECU flash then there may be no TSB for it but the dealer shouldn't put up any fight in just giving you the latest version.
Old 06-13-2016, 02:31 PM   #5
armstrom

Yeah, I'm not worried about getting the flash.. I'm worried about getting them to inspect (and replace, if needed) the injector seals. Just getting to them to check if they're damaged is a pain. The fact that I get an occasional backfire and consistent detonation would indicate to me that the seals are damaged. I just need to convince the dealership of that as well.
-Matt
Old 06-13-2016, 02:37 PM   #6
Tcoat

Quote:
Yeah, I'm not worried about getting the flash.. I'm worried about getting them to inspect (and replace, if needed) the injector seals. Just getting to them to check if they're damaged is a pain. The fact that I get an occasional backfire and consistent detonation would indicate to me that the seals are damaged. I just need to convince the dealership of that as well.
-Matt
Which is exactly why I point you to the cam TSB that fixes the misfires. Even if the seals are blown you still need to tackle what may have caused it in the first place.