follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 07-08-2022, 01:33 AM   #1
Compelica

Drives: 86 GT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Toyota Techstream vs Subaru SSM4

I installed Subaru SSM4 the other day (Toyota's equivalent of Techstream, their dealer tool) to see what was different between the dealer tools. Although there isn't much difference of the capabilities, ie. sensor monitoring, customization, key reprogramming - but I noticed a few differences between them that I didn't see in Techstream previously.

1. Techstream has explanations on customizations and utility tests whereas SSM4 has none.
2. SSM4 has a few additional customizations on the body control which isn't present in Techstream (see image below).
3. SSM4 selects by model year, or mini revisions from A to H. You should be able to see your revision on the sticker near the passenger door hinge.
4. You are able to view the calibration IDs/numbers of mostly each components (window control, ABS, combination meter, etc). IIRC in Techstream you were only able to view calibration IDs of the ECU and ABS/VDC.
5. Both tools are unable to reprogram calibrations, SSM4 spits out a generic error.

On the additional settings I have tried so far:

1. Destination setting: not sure what it does, but it cannot be changed (generic error)
2. MT/AT setting: no difference.
3. SUBARU/Toyota setting: the backlight on the LCD screen of the electronic aircon control turns off when the AC is off (AC OFF button pressed) for Subaru. For Toyota it remains on. Other than that - no other difference which I can tell.
4. Remote control starter setting: generic error, cannot be changed.

Tested on a Japanese 2015 MT GT86.

bcj (07-08-2022), BRZyJ (07-08-2022), FrickingReallySlow (07-08-2022), RedReplicant (07-12-2022)
Old 07-08-2022, 01:32 PM   #2
FrickingReallySlow

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Curious what are the requirements for getting and installing techstream or SSM4? is it like a pirated copy we all pass around with a OBD2 to usb dongle? Is there some registration key needed? can I install on any windows tablet or laptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compelica View Post
I installed Subaru SSM4 the other day (Toyota's equivalent of Techstream, their dealer tool) to see what was different between the dealer tools. Although there isn't much difference of the capabilities, ie. sensor monitoring, customization, key reprogramming - but I noticed a few differences between them that I didn't see in Techstream previously.

1. Techstream has explanations on customizations and utility tests whereas SSM4 has none.
2. SSM4 has a few additional customizations on the body control which isn't present in Techstream (see image below).
3. SSM4 selects by model year, or mini revisions from A to H. You should be able to see your revision on the sticker near the passenger door hinge.
4. You are able to view the calibration IDs/numbers of mostly each components (window control, ABS, combination meter, etc). IIRC in Techstream you were only able to view calibration IDs of the ECU and ABS/VDC.
5. Both tools are unable to reprogram calibrations, SSM4 spits out a generic error.

On the additional settings I have tried so far:

1. Destination setting: not sure what it does, but it cannot be changed (generic error)
2. MT/AT setting: no difference.
3. SUBARU/Toyota setting: the backlight on the LCD screen of the electronic aircon control turns off when the AC is off (AC OFF button pressed) for Subaru. For Toyota it remains on. Other than that - no other difference which I can tell.
4. Remote control starter setting: generic error, cannot be changed.

Tested on a Japanese 2015 MT GT86.

FrickingReallySlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 01:42 PM   #3
Compelica

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrickingReallySlow View Post
Curious what are the requirements for getting and installing techstream or SSM4? is it like a pirated copy we all pass around with a OBD2 to usb dongle? Is there some registration key needed? can I install on any windows tablet or laptop
Without registering you are allowed to use SSM4 till the end of the month - at least that's what it's said on mine.
Old 07-08-2022, 04:19 PM   #4
gpvecchi

Drives: Toyota 86 GT Limited PP (Model G)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Regarding the update of the calibration files, are you using a chinese clone cable? That will not work for flashing. You need at least a Mongoose cable.
Can you choose or update calibrations with SSM4?
And, can you disable the beep sound when in reverse gear?
Thank you!

P.S.: I have the Mongoose cable and Techstream software, can you please point me on how to update calibrations?
gpvecchi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gpvecchi For This Useful Post:
RedReplicant (07-12-2022)
Old 07-09-2022, 11:48 AM   #5
Compelica

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpvecchi View Post
Regarding the update of the calibration files, are you using a chinese clone cable? That will not work for flashing. You need at least a Mongoose cable.
Can you choose or update calibrations with SSM4?
And, can you disable the beep sound when in reverse gear?
Thank you!

P.S.: I have the Mongoose cable and Techstream software, can you please point me on how to update calibrations?
Am using a Tactrix cable, they are officially supported by SSM4. Still getting errors when trying to access the calibration reprogramming menu, which I have no idea how to do them either.

For the reverse beep - nothing of that sort in the customisation menus.
gpvecchi (07-11-2022)
Old 07-16-2022, 05:08 PM   #6
gpvecchi

Do you know the differences between fatory and market?
Old 01-05-2023, 11:14 AM   #7
Compelica

Small find, but found out another minor difference between the TOYOTA and SUBARU setting. For SUBARU the aircon always starts on AUTO mode, whereas for the TOYOTA it starts based on the last setup.

Quote:
Unfortunately have not tried yet - but may do so in the future.
Old 01-05-2023, 03:53 PM   #8
gpvecchi

Yes, Subaru has that difference, plus the climate stays full off while Toyota keeps the airflow position on, and Subaru has Full Auto (normal Auto lets you control the fan). Subaru Full Auto=Toyota Auto.
Old 01-11-2023, 07:21 AM   #9
Compelica

Quote:
Finally took time to understand this function.

Factory is a setting that is preset before the car is delivered - the factory/dealer is supposed to preconfigure the settings before switching it to Market and delivering it to the owner.

Apparently in documentation there is supposed to be a Lane Change Function - I'm assuming it is the one tap touch for signaling. Document says it defaults to ON however it does not show up on my list of configuration. There is a Remote Start as well which can be enabled but does nothing.
Old 01-11-2023, 03:45 PM   #10
gpvecchi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compelica View Post
Finally took time to understand this function.

Factory is a setting that is preset before the car is delivered - the factory/dealer is supposed to preconfigure the settings before switching it to Market and delivering it to the owner.

Apparently in documentation there is supposed to be a Lane Change Function - I'm assuming it is the one tap touch for signaling. Document says it defaults to ON however it does not show up on my list of configuration. There is a Remote Start as well which can be enabled but does nothing.
Oh, I understand the function now! It's called in another way in my country.
Regarding the tap turn function, I know for sure it's exclusive to applied model G and H BRZs, so I think the software on the BCM on previous models is different. Toyota doesn't have it, as the part number for the BCM of the applied model G is the same as before.
Old 01-12-2023, 09:48 AM   #11
Compelica

Quote:
Oh, I understand the function now! It's called in another way in my country.
Regarding the tap turn function, I know for sure it's exclusive to applied model G and H BRZs, so I think the software on the BCM on previous models is different. Toyota doesn't have it, as the part number for the BCM of the applied model G is the same as before.
Sounds like you work at Toyota?

There is a choice of selecting applied models at the start, and I did recall going thru applied model H but there was nothing different.

I had always thought a part number difference meant that a part was physically different, ie. you won't have different part numbers for the engine ECU even with different calibrations inside.
Old 01-12-2023, 03:12 PM   #12
gpvecchi

No, I work for For and Mazda as spare parts warehouseman... But I studied a lot on this car, as the spare parts are my job.
Japanese electronics are provided with pre loaded software, so the part numbers for different applied models are different even if the hardware is the same. If I order the XXX part number, I get a specific object, so there couldn't be any variants.
Your thinking is correct for EU electronics: the ECU arrives empty (so a different part number means a hardware difference), and the software is loaded with diagnostic tool.
We could even discuss on this, as sometimes the part number is different just for a matter of price, or producer.

Theorically both Techstream and SSM4 can write every software (AFAIK all control modules hardware is the same) if you use a compatible write cable (I.E. Mongoose), but I didn't manage how to do it.
The only one I managed to reflash to latest JDM software is the ECU using Ecutek, I replaced the other ones with different market models (ESP is STi, BCM is JDM for car alarm).
The Following User Says Thank You to gpvecchi For This Useful Post:
Compelica (01-12-2023)
Old 01-12-2023, 10:00 PM   #13
Compelica

Quote:
No, I work for For and Mazda as spare parts warehouseman... But I studied a lot on this car, as the spare parts are my job.
Japanese electronics are provided with pre loaded software, so the part numbers for different applied models are different even if the hardware is the same. If I order the XXX part number, I get a specific object, so there couldn't be any variants.
Your thinking is correct for EU electronics: the ECU arrives empty (so a different part number means a hardware difference), and the software is loaded with diagnostic tool.
We could even discuss on this, as sometimes the part number is different just for a matter of price, or producer.

Theorically both Techstream and SSM4 can write every software (AFAIK all control modules hardware is the same) if you use a compatible write cable (I.E. Mongoose), but I didn't manage how to do it.
The only one I managed to reflash to latest JDM software is the ECU using Ecutek, I replaced the other ones with different market models (ESP is STi, BCM is JDM for car alarm).
Thanks for the insight - even if we could flash new calibrations to the different control modules, we wouldn't be able to get access to the calibration files, since they wouldn't be stored locally on the application itself.

Though one exception is the BRZ ECM where there were a few calibrations listed, however again did not proceed further lest something gets bricked. There were VDC and steering wheel calibrations as well.
gpvecchi (01-13-2023)
Old 12-19-2023, 02:41 AM   #14
ojuniour

Drives: Subaru BRZ 2017
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Regarding the "REmote starter" functionality. I actually believe you can get a compatible toyota's RES Ecu and try to install it. Probably gonna be the one with either the 31 or 35 pin connector.
Looking at other toyota's oem vehicles the installation basically require removing one of those (31 or 25) connector from the ecu, that plugged into the RES Ecu, and then the other connector plugs back into the ecu from the RES.
Then you just have to program the vehicle from techstream after.
The ecu is missing in our car hence why you try to query the 'Remote Starter' function (in techstream at least).. it returns an indication signifying no response. well because no shit it's missing.
ojuniour is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ojuniour For This Useful Post:
Compelica (12-25-2023)