follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86

User Tag List

Old 12-20-2022, 12:13 PM   #15
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,305 Times in 7,369 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spektyr View Post
Nice explanation. I knew that higher E## gas got fewer MPG, but not the explanation behind it. According to the government study on E30 I read, a modern ECU can adjust the fuel mixture to run E30 even if the car is rated for E10 or E15. I'm not saying that's a good idea, or that it even applies to our specific cars - I'm just saying that's what a study (that may or may not have any bias) said.

So it sounds like if you had an E30 tune on a twin it would be a solid option. Probably not as much power as an E85 tune, but also probably better MPG.
On most cars you see the biggest gains between E40-50. After that the return diminishes significantly. It's very common to blend down to a lower percentage. It's also less demand on the fuel system.

Flex fuel tune is the way to go. Run whatever.
Old 12-20-2022, 12:23 PM   #16
Spektyr

Drives: GR86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
Flex fuel tune is the way to go. Run whatever.
True, but that requires extra hardware to detect the ethanol content, right? At least until the warranties start to expire I think at least some owners are going to want to be able to return to stock with a button push rather than a wrench if they need something done under warranty. (Assuming, of course, that the ECU doesn't tattle or can be made not to.)
Spektyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 12:36 PM   #17
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,305 Times in 7,369 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spektyr View Post
True, but that requires extra hardware to detect the ethanol content, right? At least until the warranties start to expire I think at least some owners are going to want to be able to return to stock with a button push rather than a wrench if they need something done under warranty. (Assuming, of course, that the ECU doesn't tattle or can be made not to.)
Yeah. Depends on the type of kit though. Like the kit I have for my first gen ties into the EVAP and hijacks one of the EVAP compensation tables so I have to tie it into a wire on the ECU. Not easy to reverse.

A lot of kits just plug into the rear o2 sensor and hijack one of the o2 compensation tables. So you could just unplug it and plug the rear o2 sensor back in and flash back to stock if you wanted.
Spektyr (12-20-2022)