follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 10-23-2021, 03:12 AM   #1
deadmeme

Drives: 2015 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
How long can I wait without getting a tune after installing UEL headers?

Installed the headers a couple of weeks ago on my 2015 Toyota 86, haven't used it much since. Max half an hour to an hour each week.

Today I have tightened the bolts again, and took it out for a ride. It took me about 40 minutes to get CEL. Now my assumption is it's thanks to the UEL headers, I can confirm it in a couple of hours when I can check the error code. I haven't had a chance to get it tuned yet. While I am looking for a place and time that fits me I am not sure when it's gonna be.

How long can I keep it running without a tune, before there is a possibility of damaging the engine? (As mentioned before, only drive it an hour or less each week).
deadmeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 04:21 AM   #2
SydBRZ

Drives: MY14 BRZ, MY06 WRX
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadmeme View Post
Installed the headers a couple of weeks ago on my 2015 Toyota 86, haven't used it much since. Max half an hour to an hour each week.

Today I have tightened the bolts again, and took it out for a ride. It took me about 40 minutes to get CEL. Now my assumption is it's thanks to the UEL headers, I can confirm it in a couple of hours when I can check the error code. I haven't had a chance to get it tuned yet. While I am looking for a place and time that fits me I am not sure when it's gonna be.

How long can I keep it running without a tune, before there is a possibility of damaging the engine? (As mentioned before, only drive it an hour or less each week).
Take it very easy, and no heavy or full throttle applications. Slow, smooth driving & no racing.

This is because the higher airflow from the new header could cause your AFRs to run lean at WOT, which can in turn cause detonation.

A tune corrects this.

Cruise control won't work with the oxygen sensor CEL, but the car won't go into limp mode.

Get it tuned sooner rather than later so you can safely access full throttle when needed.
SydBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 10:52 AM   #3
Ernest72

Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Get the tune. Why take chances. Driving like grandma is likely ok until you do.
Ernest72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 11:02 AM   #4
alphasaur
friendly

Drives: 17' 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Don't install the part if you can't do it right imo, otherwise be prepared for worst case scenario.

Tags
cel, tune, uel header