follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 06-09-2015, 08:37 PM   #1
psychedelicx

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Problems with Pioneer 8100Nex HU

Hi,

I recently had a Pioneer 8100Nex installed in my car and I am having some issues which the installer is having a hard time diagnosing. Wondering if you guys have any suggestions? Here are the issues:

1. Delayed start ... sometimes it takes 60 seconds before the unit turns on after I start the car. This typically happens after the car has been sitting for a while. Once the car has been started once, then it comes on right away if i do another shutdown/start cycle. Already tried swapping head unit but issue remains.

2. Sporadically get the following error during startup "... system detected improper connection of parking brake lead ...". I believe the sw bypass was activated. Installer says its normal and to ignore it but I can't believe this is true.

Thanks for your help!
psychedelicx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 10:38 PM   #2
Blackforge

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited - CBS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
First issue seems to be related to proximity keys and the push button start. Not isolated to just the BRZ (see it with my BRZ as well), I have seen reports on other Subarus with the same proximity system. To get around it, I first hit the button for ACC and then hit again with the clutch to immediately start the car. This seems to bypass the delay. It might be able to be fixed with firmware.

Second, you won't see this issue if you really connect it to the parking brake wire. Have the installer do it right. The wire is in one of the harnesses and you don't have to go far. Bypass will continue to function without that annoying message.

FYI: http://avic411.com/index.php?/topic/...layed-startup/
Blackforge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 12:04 AM   #3
theanswer3

Drives: White BRZ Limited
Garage
parking brake bypass for all nex units is software based. I have never seen that warning once I bypassed the parking brake. It does not need to be wired to ground. [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gbUJ3ncAT8"]How To Bypass a Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX AVIC-7100NEX Video In Motion COMFRIMED - YouTube[/ame]
DRL mod/3D MAXpider custom floor mats/TRD red stitched armrest V2/K&N Air Filter/Superbright LEDs everywhere/Pioneer 5000NEX DD Screen/kicker 600.1/tinted windows/TenzoRacing Cuzco v.1 18x9/Valenti black tails and reverse light
theanswer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 01:16 PM   #4
psychedelicx

Awesome thanks! I'll ask him to look into the parking brake and read up on the issues related to push button start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackforge View Post
First issue seems to be related to proximity keys and the push button start. Not isolated to just the BRZ (see it with my BRZ as well), I have seen reports on other Subarus with the same proximity system. To get around it, I first hit the button for ACC and then hit again with the clutch to immediately start the car. This seems to bypass the delay. It might be able to be fixed with firmware.

Second, you won't see this issue if you really connect it to the parking brake wire. Have the installer do it right. The wire is in one of the harnesses and you don't have to go far. Bypass will continue to function without that annoying message.

FYI: http://avic411.com/index.php?/topic/...layed-startup/
Old 06-10-2015, 03:08 PM   #5
Superjoe69

Drives: 2013 BRZ
I had installed the Pioneer AVH4100 NEX and it worked about the same. I had the same occasional delayed start. Never had a fix for it or tried the proximity sensor workaround that Blackforge mentioned.

However for the parking break stuff, I just connected that cable to a ground to the right side of the stereo. Not hard. These units don't seem to require the bypass/relay workaround that Pioneers usually do.
Superjoe69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 07:42 PM   #6
AzureShadow

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT WRB
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Can you guys post some pictures of these in your car?

Since they have android auto, I have been considering upgrading, but kinda curious as to how they look installed.
AzureShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 12:46 PM   #7
psychedelicx

Update: Installer added a relay between the IGN and ACC and that has fixed the issue. No delay in startup anymore!

Thanks for the help!
Old 06-11-2015, 12:52 PM   #8
Superjoe69

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureShadow View Post

Since they have android auto, I have been considering upgrading, but kinda curious as to how they look installed.
I would but I ended up pulling mine and returning it in pretty short order. First, the faceplate started to rattle.
Second, the screen really didn't impress me with it's contrast/brightness/reflectivity. I had a kinda hard time viewing it during the day. Add Google Maps pastel color palette on top of that and it was simply not fun to use.

Android Auto is pretty damn awesome though (aside from poor voice command recognition). I never tried CarPlay even though I'm an iOS user, but that is for reasons that have nothing to do with the head unit.
Superjoe69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 12:53 PM   #9
psychedelicx

I'll try and take some pictures tonight but you can change the back lighting for the buttons on the lip to Red so it blends in well. (Not that there was a high bar with the stock HU.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureShadow View Post

Old 06-11-2015, 07:58 PM   #10
im2lazy789

Drives: BRZ Limited DGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superjoe69 View Post
I would but I ended up pulling mine and returning it in pretty short order. First, the faceplate started to rattle.
Second, the screen really didn't impress me with it's contrast/brightness/reflectivity. I had a kinda hard time viewing it during the day. Add Google Maps pastel color palette on top of that and it was simply not fun to use.

Android Auto is pretty damn awesome though (aside from poor voice command recognition). I never tried CarPlay even though I'm an iOS user, but that is for reasons that have nothing to do with the head unit.
What did you end up switching to? I am not sure whether I want to go to this, the Ca-fi unit/other Android, or maybe switch to a Scion Bespoke Nav.
im2lazy789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 10:37 AM   #11
Blackforge

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited - CBS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I may have some good news, as mine may be fixed. I did a battery swap on my car last night and this morning the car and radio started right up. I think the quicker turn over allowed the radio to detect things properly. I've only started it up twice so far, but the overnight start is a good sign in my opinion.

Used a Diehard Platinum, just fyi.

Last edited by Blackforge; 06-30-2015 at 06:12 PM. Reason: Definitely fixed.
Blackforge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blackforge For This Useful Post:
Chimera (06-26-2015)