follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 01-30-2023, 12:30 PM   #29
spcmafia

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Thanked 4,140 Times in 1,986 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopysvet View Post
I used it today on a three week old car. I did not claybar, washed it real good first. I was concerned to claybar as I have never done it before. It looks real good.

Like @Wally86 mentioned, probably best practice is to apply a sealant first and then the wax. It will add, all together, 2 layers of protection. But, if you're not willing to go that route, you should be fine. Not sure which one you used (Spray vs Liquid Wax, both are liquid but you know what I mean) but your next washes, while the car is still wet, you can refresh your layer by just using the spray form. Just don't overdo it.
Wally86 (01-30-2023)
Old 01-31-2023, 11:25 AM   #30
Snoopysvet

Drives: 2023 Wr Blue Pearl BRZ manual
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally86 View Post
Just make sure you have some type of wax/sealant/protectant to go on after you clay everything off.
Hey Wally, I do not understand?
Old 01-31-2023, 03:03 PM   #31
spcmafia

Quote:

It means that before any wax job, a sealant is recommended as it "seals" the top coat of the vehicle. Since you remove a lot of the contaminants and basically leave the top coat exposed to the elements by using a clay bar, the sealant acts as your base protection as sealants adhere to the surface a lot better most waxes.
Wally86 (02-06-2023)
Old 02-06-2023, 09:18 AM   #32
Wally86
Be Kind

Drives: 2020 86
Thanked 1,254 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by spcmafia View Post
It means that before any wax job, a sealant is recommended as it "seals" the top coat of the vehicle. Since you remove a lot of the contaminants and basically leave the top coat exposed to the elements by using a clay bar, the sealant acts as your base protection as sealants adhere to the surface a lot better most waxes.
This. The clay bar mechanically strips everything off of the clear coat leaving everything exposed with no protection so you need to readd protection to it. If you're ceramic coated, it'll strip down to that coating instead of the clear but same-ish principle.
Old 09-15-2023, 06:08 PM   #33
RickyBobby

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S AT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
This is a bit OT but may be helpful. My FR-S does not have much plastic trim but my Ford Escape has a bunch. I have tried various plastic trim restorer products but none have worked well or lasted. This guy does a good review of them and found Cerakote Ceramic Trim Coat the best.

TW says you can use its Hybrid Solutions Pro Graphene Flex Wax on plastic trim so I gave it a shot, since I already have it. Sprayed some on a small microfiber towel, applied it directly to the plastic trim on my Escape, and buffed off the excess. It looks good, but let's see how long it lasts.
RickyBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 07:27 PM   #34
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,194 Times in 1,123 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Solution finish is what I'd suggest for a trim restorer. It actually does restore to some degree unlike most which acts are more of a mask. Haven't played with cerakote trim but I'm aware it's a quality product. The headlight kit worked nicely when I tested it.
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 08:02 PM   #35
RickyBobby

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S AT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
$14.95 for 1 ounce of Solution Finish. That's a hard pass. https://www.amazon.com/Solution-Fini.../dp/B006NZQ3T8

TW has a new one out. It's also black like Solution Finish but a bit cheaper. https://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Wax-53.../dp/B0BL44PMWK
RickyBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 02:45 AM   #36
Gendry

Drives: GTS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I actaully lke the turtle wax graphene spray - easy to apply and results are pretty slick. I use it as a topper for my existing graphene coating. OF course, only apply it when the paintwork is cool to touch. Otherwise it can be a pain to buff off excess

photo: @benbucketz
ceramic coating:
Gendry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gendry For This Useful Post:
Wally86 (02-28-2024)
Old 03-20-2024, 01:28 PM   #37
spcmafia

Update on this thread.

I have used many products ever since my review on the Turtle Wax Graphene Spray/wax.
Some included but not limited to;
Mothers CMX
Adams Graphene Spray

Griots Best Show Spray Wax

Griots Spray On Wax

Meguiars Ceramic Sprays
Adams Spray Wax

To this day, and lately its becoming harder to find at my local Autozone/Advance Auto Parts, the Turtle Wax Spray is the best option when it comes to applying a low-budget graphene spray that protects the wax layer.

It is tedious to use and properly apply, but it lasts so much longer than the sprays above and has better chemical composition of hydrophobic components. Would still highly recommend for those who just want an apply and forget wax layer.
Old 04-01-2024, 02:53 PM   #38
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,921 Times in 1,768 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spcmafia View Post
Update on this thread.

I have used many products ever since my review on the Turtle Wax Graphene Spray/wax.
Some included but not limited to;
Mothers CMX
Adams Graphene Spray

Griots Best Show Spray Wax

Griots Spray On Wax

Meguiars Ceramic Sprays
Adams Spray Wax

To this day, and lately its becoming harder to find at my local Autozone/Advance Auto Parts, the Turtle Wax Spray is the best option when it comes to applying a low-budget graphene spray that protects the wax layer.

It is tedious to use and properly apply, but it lasts so much longer than the sprays above and has better chemical composition of hydrophobic components. Would still highly recommend for those who just want an apply and forget wax layer.
If you like low budget, try graphene paste wax from turtle wax stacked with their flex wax.

I'm done with ceramic coatings, I just prefer "wax on wax off" method
Griots garage ceramic 3 in wax is good also.
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote