follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86

User Tag List

Old 06-04-2022, 12:56 AM   #1121
Massappeals

Drives: 2018 Toyota Tacoma
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I contacted the dealer I bought my Tacoma from two days ago. 2023 GR86 Premium in Neptune Blue and a manual transmission. I believe they will sell to me at MSRP+tax,titles,fees and no dealership add-ons(like Lojack, tint).
I will find out in half a year.
Massappeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 12:57 AM   #1122
mike2100

Drives: 23 BRZ
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
You can factory order any Toyota product except the GR86.
There has never been any real explanation why it is an exception but it has to have something to do with the fact that they buy them from Subaru. Their build to order system must just not apply so you have to take whatever allotment that each dealer receives.
I agree. It is very likely because Subaru builds them, and that scheme was part of the contract agreement between the two companies. They probably made the agreement before the supply chain shortage, and didn't realize how difficult it was going to be for a customer to get the exact 86 they want in a predictable amount of time. It's too bad really. I think that's a big part of what enables big markups and drama. I ordered my BRZ for a hair under MSRP, and I have a pretty good idea when it's going to arrive.
mike2100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 04:07 PM   #1123
fredzy
Mebmer

Drives: Sienna, GR86, FL5
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Lots of premium manuals have come to my region lately. Some close calls, dealers relatively nearby getting my exact spec. Very unfortunate and frustrating but none of those were to fill preference requests, just went to markup dealers.

I think there is another plant shutdown going on, couple days thing like back in winter. Most of these last few rounds of allocations were for cars already on the water when they hit so hopefully these shutdowns don't impact the next round or two too much.
fredzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 06:54 PM   #1124
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredzy View Post
Lots of premium manuals have come to my region lately. Some close calls, dealers relatively nearby getting my exact spec. Very unfortunate and frustrating but none of those were to fill preference requests, just went to markup dealers.

I think there is another plant shutdown going on, couple days thing like back in winter. Most of these last few rounds of allocations were for cars already on the water when they hit so hopefully these shutdowns don't impact the next round or two too much.
They will be wrapping up the 2022 production any time now so people on wait lists will need to check with their dealer tp see if they automatically get transferred over to the 2023 list or have to start all over.
Old 06-06-2022, 07:44 PM   #1125
TheDonEffect

Drives: A mix
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Eesh, yeah now there's more listed on Autotrader and such with the markups there. Hmm, I imagine demand is still pretty high, but perhaps the frenzy died just a tad since now the dealers are having to work a little more. I already accepted I will not be getting a 2022.
TheDonEffect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 08:40 PM   #1126
Locust
Custom User Title

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S, 2012 OB Evo X MR
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Locust
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredzy View Post
Yes there was more supply chain / pandemic shut down issues.

Instagram:
LocustAutoX
Sponsors:
DSGPerformance Drift Office Evil Apex Racing

Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 10:52 PM   #1127
fredzy
Mebmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
They will be wrapping up the 2022 production any time now so people on wait lists will need to check with their dealer tp see if they automatically get transferred over to the 2023 list or have to start all over.
That’s a good point. I’d hope that would be a given but you never know.
The Following User Says Thank You to fredzy For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (06-07-2022)
Old 06-10-2022, 08:22 AM   #1128
jsmongeon24

Drives: 2022 GR86 Base MT - Trueno Blue
Just got mine Tuesday

This is my first time using the insert photo, so hopefully I did it right but I highly doubt it. If it didn't I'll figure out a way to get the photos.

I picked mine up on Tuesday in Atlanta and I drove it back to Knoxville that night and man, this is amazing. This is my first sports car after having a 2014 Mazda 3 s Grand Touring as seen on the other side of the car in the first photo. I do not regret this decision at all. The third image is at work and man, I love this blue. The last image are the only things I've done to it yet as I'm really just driving it as stock right now before I start doing some things to it. The badge that's covering my tic tac holder (I can't remember if that's this forum or another one lol), it's an ode to my dad's old 2013 FRS that he had. If you're a member of the FT86 forum and were there from the beginning, you might recognize the name. But I just thought it would cool to have until he gets his own here in a little bit (after seeing the image, I know its crooked lol). The shift knob is fantastic. It's a Mishimoto MMSK-GITD weighted shift knob and it's supposed to be glow in the dark, but it's not so that's the only thing I can knock it for. Other than that, it's awesome and so smooth with the transitions between gears.

As for what I have planned so far:
- First, I'm going to paint the wheels this matte bronze, kind of like the TRD wheels.
- As for exhaust, I'm young (24) and I do use this as my daily, but I love the louder noises. With that said, I plan on installing the GReddy Evo GT exhaust. I think that is one of the best exhausts but definitely let me know what y'all go with because I love to hear all the exhaust noises!
- Unequal length headers. That's it, that's my comment. I haven't done a lot of research, shoot, I'm still not sure if I know the difference between the equal and the unequal length headers lol
jsmongeon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 08:26 AM   #1129
jsmongeon24

Drives: 2022 GR86 Base MT - Trueno Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmongeon24 View Post

This is my first time using the insert photo, so hopefully I did it right but I highly doubt it. If it didn't I'll figure out a way to get the photos.

I picked mine up on Tuesday in Atlanta and I drove it back to Knoxville that night and man, this is amazing. This is my first sports car after having a 2014 Mazda 3 s Grand Touring as seen on the other side of the car in the first photo. I do not regret this decision at all. The third image is at work and man, I love this blue. The last image are the only things I've done to it yet as I'm really just driving it as stock right now before I start doing some things to it. The badge that's covering my tic tac holder (I can't remember if that's this forum or another one lol), it's an ode to my dad's old 2013 FRS that he had. If you're a member of the FT86 forum and were there from the beginning, you might recognize the name. But I just thought it would cool to have until he gets his own here in a little bit (after seeing the image, I know its crooked lol). The shift knob is fantastic. It's a Mishimoto MMSK-GITD weighted shift knob and it's supposed to be glow in the dark, but it's not so that's the only thing I can knock it for. Other than that, it's awesome and so smooth with the transitions between gears.

As for what I have planned so far:
- First, I'm going to paint the wheels this matte bronze, kind of like the TRD wheels.
- As for exhaust, I'm young (24) and I do use this as my daily, but I love the louder noises. With that said, I plan on installing the GReddy Evo GT exhaust. I think that is one of the best exhausts but definitely let me know what y'all go with because I love to hear all the exhaust noises!
- Unequal length headers. That's it, that's my comment. I haven't done a lot of research, shoot, I'm still not sure if I know the difference between the equal and the unequal length headers lol
I think I might've gotten it lol
Attached Images

jsmongeon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 07:59 AM   #1130
Doc_Bch_Stkrs
FNG

Drives: Hot Wheels
Just found out yesterday that my allocation preference was accepted after just a month. I was the first on the list. Pavement 6MT Premium. It will be a 22, so I got in before the presumed price increases. I'm in the Mid Atlantic Region and got it from McDonough Toyota.
Doc_Bch_Stkrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 10:45 AM   #1131
fredzy
Mebmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_Bch_Stkrs View Post
Just found out yesterday that my allocation preference was accepted after just a month. I was the first on the list. Pavement 6MT Premium. It will be a 22, so I got in before the presumed price increases. I'm in the Mid Atlantic Region and got it from McDonough Toyota.
Super lucky, congrats. A ton of PMT's came to the eastern regions with that round of allocations and I was hoping this last round might be the same but it wasn't to be.

A vast majority of the most recent drop went to CA, but much more frustrating was that an incredible FIVE of my requested spec came to my region and every one went to a markup dealer with no customer orders. I've got no more words.
Old 06-21-2022, 02:21 AM   #1132
TheDonEffect

Drives: A mix
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Yeah I do find it more and more curious how smaller, presumably lower volume dealers manage to get them consistently in popular configurations but charge markup, meanwhile the no markup dealers can't seem to get any.
TheDonEffect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 08:07 AM   #1133
racingfool

Drives: Miata
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmongeon24 View Post
The badge that's covering my tic tac holder

Quote:
white devil - Urban Dictionary
A white person who takes advantage of a minority.
racingfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 10:06 AM   #1134
fredzy
Mebmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDonEffect View Post
Yeah I do find it more and more curious how smaller, presumably lower volume dealers manage to get them consistently in popular configurations but charge markup, meanwhile the no markup dealers can't seem to get any.
Reality is Toyota's clairvoyant allocation system sends cars to dealers based on what they've sold in the past. This probably works well for most models but breaks down for lower volume vehicles to where you can have situations like my local dealer. A vicious cycle of them getting, selling and receiving more of one specific thing (base Halo AT.) This is especially broken when no dealers do allocation swaps - the only way their preference request system can actually have meaning.

I think this system also explains the lopsided automatic production despite huge manual demand. It was forecasting based on those last few years of 86 sales that were mostly AT to move them to non-enthusiasts as sales were down to a trickle. There was no data-driven way to know most people would want manual off the bat.

I have a lot of thoughts on how this could be better but I think we've gone around in circles in this thread on that. We all know Toyota won't change how they do things. If they were ever going to put a system in place to make the car buying experience for low volume cars less atrocious (it was exactly the same before COVID) it would have come along with the Supra.
The Following User Says Thank You to fredzy For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (06-21-2022)