follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 09-10-2020, 01:40 AM   #1
Saviorself

Drives: 13' BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
No power to windows

So there I was cleaning my GSF and minding my own business at home. Kids came down to the garage and I decided to roll the DS window down to bump some music out of the BRZ while they rode their bikes around. I sat there taking a break enjoying the great weather California has to offer when it’s not on fire.
Called it a day, and turned the car on to make sure battery hadn’t died. Left the windows as they were and closed the garage. Following day I decided it was time to wash the car so I turned her on and attempted to close the windows, Nothing happened, I thought hey I might’ve pushed the window lock button and I pressed it to verify that it wasn’t on, still nothing. I noticed the PS window was also completely inop and both DS and DS switches were not illuminating like the rest of the interior lights. I checked and replaced the fuses to the doors in the engine bay compartment even though they weren’t blown just to make there wasn’t a slight chance I missed one. I obcourse did the things that require less work first so I disconnected the battery for 10 minutes thinking it would reset. Nothing changed. I then decided to remove both door panels in hopes I would find a loose connector. I removed and reinserted the plugs behind the switches. Again nothing. I thought maybe if I replace the DS window switch it’ll fix everything🤷🏽*♂️
So I drove down to a Subaru junkyard and purchased a used switch that I verified was in working condition. I connected the new to me switch and nothing. That’s where my hopes and dreams completely shattered and I ran out of ideas😂
I’ve started reading and going through the schematics to give the troubleshooting a try but it’s slightly overwhelming to understand. Just because I was badass at trouble shooting electrical issues on Marine Corps vehicles does not mean I know how to TS 😂. It’ll take me a while since I’m not too familiar and I don’t have a sense of direction of where to even start besides power.. Just wanted to share in hopes someone had a similar or if not the same issue that would save me time !
Tyfyt
Saviorself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 06:05 AM   #2
Gloonge

Drives: 2013 frs raven
Try this.

Gloonge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gloonge For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (09-10-2020)
Old 09-10-2020, 09:13 AM   #3
Joon525

Drives: 2016 BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloonge View Post
Try this.

I'm not completely sure that's going to work since that assumes the switches are getting power and he wrote...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saviorself View Post
...both DS and DS switches were not illuminating like the rest of the interior lights.
@Saviorself have you tested that the pins in the harness from the door are getting power?
Joon525 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 09:23 AM   #4
Gloonge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joon525 View Post
I'm not completely sure that's going to work since that assumes the switches are getting power and he wrote...
@Saviorself have you tested that the pins in the harness from the door are getting power?
Idk how far he's gone. But if the learning needs to be done the switches don't light up and they act like they're not getting power.
Old 09-10-2020, 09:39 AM   #5
Joon525

Drives: 2016 BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloonge View Post
Idk how far he's gone. But if the learning needs to be done the switches don't light up and they act like they're not getting power.
You could be right, it's been a while since I encountered this.
But I do know they flash if a there's a problem. (30 seconds into the video you'll see)

You could still be right though, maybe this is an extreme case....but if the pins don't get power there's something else wrong further down the circuit (captain obvious moment here). So it's probably worth checking.
The fact that he went to a junkyard to get another working switch panel to try and it still didn't work is what makes me curious about the power to the harness in the door.

The reset is still worth trying, might as well cross off as many options as possible.
Joon525 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 09:47 AM   #6
Gloonge

Fair enough. Hopefully it's as simple as a re program and he's good to go
Old 09-10-2020, 11:59 AM   #7
Saviorself

Drives: 13' BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joon525 View Post
I’ve tested the harness pins before the switch and I found 1 pin that has power. It’s a light green color wire.
I’ve tried that window reset procedure multiple times when I first encountered the issue but without power there is no use of it.
Saviorself is offline   Reply With Quote