follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List
Sam Strano

Old 10-03-2015, 04:29 PM   #3753
bslate3

Drives: 2015 CWP BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Never mind. I didn't realize that the Rival S and HoosierStone were not available in that size.
bslate3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 05:07 PM   #3754
Matt Covert

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Not sure if anyone is still interested, but I've been on the Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Specs all season and LOVE them. My 13 BRZ was able to touch 1.2 Gs during a combination of braking and cornering forces.

This was in C Street. The only other mod was a Whiteline rear bar.

Old 10-03-2015, 07:40 PM   #3755
bslate3

Drives: 2015 CWP BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I love my Star Specs as well. According to Harry's Lap Timer I did 1.1g's at MSR 1.7CCW. That's in my CS BRZ with just a front Perrin 19mm bar on soft.

They still don't have the ultimate grip that the HoosierStones have. I drove my friend's BRZ with just 225/45 RE71's and could tell the laters grip was definitely higher.
bslate3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 10:22 AM   #3756
Biggins

Drives: Scion, Honda
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
The Star Specs are a good tire, but we've established all year that they're just not as fast as the Bridgestone, BFG, and Kumhos. I don't run real "data," but when I tested them at the beginning of the season, they were only on-par with my year-old Yokohamas and almost a full second slower than the new Bridgestones on a 60 second course.

I think my Bridgestones will last into the first few local events for next year, but I want to play around with sizing a bit. I ran 235/45 last year with the Hankooks which worked well on National style courses, but they were not ideal for many locals. I was on 245/40 BFGs at Nats and adjusted okay, but I'd need more seat time to fully adjust my driving style to them. Was anyone running 245/40 Bridgestones this year with good results?
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 06:50 PM   #3757
Matt Covert

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
My local club has an ace C Street driver who went 20mm wider than factor this year without wider wheels (totally legal).

He says that the difference was absolutely incredible and the tiny amount of extra width provided much more grip. He doesn't use data so there aren't any hard numbers, but he's won his class at almost every event this year.

It sounds crazy that 20mm could make such a radical difference. But you can't argue with results and I'm going to try the same thing in 2016.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:56 AM   #3758
solort

Drives: Series 10 FRS
So what was the tire solution at Nationals? Was Dave on the 245/40 or 225/45 (or 235/45 on back for gearing)? Does the 245/40 turn in slower and require higher psi? I am setting up my FRS for CS and been running 28/28 on 225/45-17 RE71Rs with good grip and turn in but this is my first venture back into RWD in several years. Was going to order a set of new tires this month for next year as rains till my worn tires are gone. Any input (especially from you fast CS drivers) is greatly appreciated, and i look forward to running with you guys next year!

Car seems perfectly balanced with Konis at 1/4 from stiff front and 1/3 from soft rear and Cusco front bar/stock rear bar. TRD springs and 1/16 toe out front/ 1/16 toe in rear with appx -2 deg front camber (with home camber gauge and toe bar gauge)...

Would larger rear TRD bar with larger front bar be any help? Car seems super flat...
solort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 09:58 AM   #3759
Mark99es

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Hi everyone! I am new to the FRS. I just purchased a 2013. I am prepping it for C-Street. I am not new to autocross but I am very new to this car and class. I just ordered some wheels and looking st tire options. I have always been in the theory wider is better which I know may not be the car but was wondering if anyone has tries the RE71 245/40/17? Reading this looks like some have just making sure that they fit. I am looking at the clearance and with the factory offset wheel a wider tire would be getting very close to the shock. Right now my car has all stock suspension but I will be putting OFS Koni's and and the TRD stuff on the car. Thanks for the advice and I look forward meeting some of you all in the future.

Thanks,
Mark McCrary
Mark99es is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:09 AM   #3760
ryan t

Drives: frs
Quote:
Originally Posted by solort View Post
So what was the tire solution at Nationals? Was Dave on the 245/40 or 225/45 (or 235/45 on back for gearing)? Does the 245/40 turn in slower and require higher psi? I am setting up my FRS for CS and been running 28/28 on 225/45-17 RE71Rs with good grip and turn in but this is my first venture back into RWD in several years. Was going to order a set of new tires this month for next year as rains till my worn tires are gone. Any input (especially from you fast CS drivers) is greatly appreciated, and i look forward to running with you guys next year!

Car seems perfectly balanced with Konis at 1/4 from stiff front and 1/3 from soft rear and Cusco front bar/stock rear bar. TRD springs and 1/16 toe out front/ 1/16 toe in rear with appx -2 deg front camber (with home camber gauge and toe bar gauge)...

Would larger rear TRD bar with larger front bar be any help? Car seems super flat...
i tried to find you, as i was at the sept autox at the hoover met. it was my 1st ever time to run. i was on 215s and bumped rev limiter on the long sweeper heading back toward finish. does the 225s make that much gearing change? i was told the course is normaly smaller than what we ran and i was about to order tires and cant decide on a size..215, 225, 245
ryan t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:14 AM   #3761
solort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark99es View Post
Hi everyone! I am new to the FRS. I just purchased a 2013. I am prepping it for C-Street. I am not new to autocross but I am very new to this car and class. I just ordered some wheels and looking st tire options. I have always been in the theory wider is better which I know may not be the car but was wondering if anyone has tries the RE71 245/40/17? Reading this looks like some have just making sure that they fit. I am looking at the clearance and with the factory offset wheel a wider tire would be getting very close to the shock. Right now my car has all stock suspension but I will be putting OFS Koni's and and the TRD stuff on the car. Thanks for the advice and I look forward meeting some of you all in the future.

Thanks,
Mark McCrary
Great! Another fast driver for CS!

Was good to see you and Robert driving at Nats in the well set up Carpenter/Eley 99 Miata Sport. Hope to see you at the SE events. Our region is in the process of getting a National Tour next year at Hoover Met in Birmingham. We will have a couple more events this year if you get a chance to attend.

www.alscca.net

Clay
Old 10-05-2015, 10:20 AM   #3762
solort

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan t View Post
i tried to find you, as i was at the sept autox at the hoover met. it was my 1st ever time to run. i was on 215s and bumped rev limiter on the long sweeper heading back toward finish. does the 225s make that much gearing change? i was told the course is normaly smaller than what we ran and i was about to order tires and cant decide on a size..215, 225, 245
I had to leave early after I set up course to fly to Denver that afternoon (and also had sinus infection that had me totally exhausted but I had committed to course design (hope it was fun). Getting older sucks!

I should be involved with our last 2 events and will be glad to help with any questions or just ride along (driver or passenger). Next event in a couple of events. Please try to come or you can always PM for any questions. Ran #2/100 PAX right behind Nat Champ Chitt in the STF Mini at last event (shouldn't have let him use my last run to try my car out!)

Our events at other site are shorter due to lot. New lot will allow 60 sec Nationals type and speed courses

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ho...!6m1!1e1?hl=en
Old 10-05-2015, 11:28 AM   #3763
Biggins

Drives: Scion, Honda
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
I've driven on all the relevant 17" sizes. I ran on 245/40 BFGs on codriver's car at Nats this year, 235/45 Hankooks and 225/45 Yokohamas in 2014, but I run 225/45 RE71Rs on my car right now. I ran 215/45 in 2012-13. I honestly can't tell what is best, but I think they will all work depending on your driving style and how you set up your car... oh, and how high the speeds are at your venue. I think I'd want 235/45s if every course were higher speeds like the Nats east course the past two years.

I'm planning to do some more tire testing at the beginning of next year, but it will be tough to decide between BFG and Bridgestone, having driven both now. I'm curious to see if any other brands/compounds come to market next year. I think I'll start with 245/40 next year though.
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 02:40 PM   #3764
chucky12012

Drives: 2013 Asphalt Scion FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by solort View Post

I'm not sure on what Dave ended up running for Nationals, I believe he had tried out multiple sizes for the RE71s at some point. Personally I like the 225 as it is a bit crisper and has a bit better feel, but drivers have made 225, 235 and 245 all work and the data I have seen has them all within the noise of each other. The wider you go, the more vague it will feel and on this car I need to have more feel. On the 225 RE71s, I haven't found myself struggling for grip. On the previous generation of tires I found it to be more of a need. I think on a nationals course like this year's east side, your going to need to shift regardless of what tire you have considering you needed to get past 60 mph at multiple spots, so even a taller tire like the 235/45 isn't going to get you there.

The car is pretty flat without the TRD rear, but you will still want it. It is a step up and then you can play around with the front bar to get the balance how you want it.
chucky12012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 02:54 PM   #3765
TrqlessWonder

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark99es View Post

Thanks,
Mark McCrary
Not sure about the factory offset, but if you change it to +42, the answer is yes.
#24 CS/CSR
TrqlessWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 03:00 PM   #3766
ryan t

Drives: frs
has anyone seen the kumho v720 run firsthand yet?
ryan t is offline   Reply With Quote