follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 12-20-2012, 07:11 PM   #57
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83 View Post
So basically you want it to be ANY weight less than what it is now (as the base models are around 3232 pounds).
Target weight of 3000 would be good
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:56 PM   #58
DeeezNuuuts83

Drives: 2006 Evo IX SE
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
Target weight of 3000 would be good
It's likely that most weight loss potential on a 370Z would end up making the rear end lighter, which makes the front-to-rear weight distribution worse. If it were me, I'd rather just have a more powerful FR-S/BRZ (through whichever method they use) with a little bit of a weight penalty up front. It's not suddenly going to be 60-40 or anything like that, plus it would still be south of 3,000 pounds.
DeeezNuuuts83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:02 PM   #59
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83 View Post
It's likely that most weight loss potential on a 370Z would end up making the rear end lighter, which makes the front-to-rear weight distribution worse. If it were me, I'd rather just have a more powerful FR-S/BRZ (through whichever method they use) with a little bit of a weight penalty up front. It's not suddenly going to be 60-40 or anything like that, plus it would still be south of 3,000 pounds.
Not like I want a Z car, but that's what I would want a Z car to look like for me to consider it an option. A more powerful BRZ would be .
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:44 PM   #60
clayrush

Drives: FRS,09 370z, 00 CelicaGT-S, 85 300Z
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
A lot of people are spot on, on some things between the cars like fun or power. Sometimes some people feel both are the same. Sometimes it depends if u can unleash the power of your car in the area you live. Some things people say seem to be just repeated stuff the see from a video review :P

I have driven both cars a fair amount. My girl owns the MT FRS and my dad is the main driver of the AT 370z. I love both cars a lot and if I could only ever drive one of the cars ever again it would be hard for me to choose. I feel that the FRS would master the Z if the FRS had the same power to weight and a bit wider tires.

I think the Z is a bargain for what it is but also less refined. I also say it is unfair to treat the 370z as a poor handling straight line car. The Z that I drive it has the sport package with wider tires and an LSD. So I could not say if that makes a big difference since I have never driven the base model.... but with that, I have much more confidence and speed in corners with the Z and not just because the power advantage. I believe with the Z the AT shifts faster than the MT as well. I do not really feel any sort of disconnect while in the Z, but compared to the FRS it does feel a bit more dull while in the corners. I also enjoy having a bit of more low end power or not needing to keep the car at high RPM's.... not that I have a problem keeping the FRS in the higher range.

Like many have said it all depends in what you want in your car, your driving stile, handling, speed, feeling, and what if any long term goals do you have for your car. Hell even how you like the looks of a car.
If you can really take them for a test drive that would be best.

I really think you will love either car.

also the way i drive the FRS i get worse MPG than the Z
clayrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 03:32 PM   #61
botbs

Drives: 18 BRZ tS, 27 GRMN 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chenshuo View Post
If you get to choose from a BRZ and 370Z, in which you don't have to pay, and no you can't sell the 370Z to buy a BRZ, which one would you choose?

I always wanted a 370Z but it's $10000 more than the BRZ. I have already ordered a BRZ but wondering if it'll be cooler to be in a 370Z...
This may solve your problem =)

Nissan Canada just announced the news earlier this month and we will get the $29k base model !

botbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 04:12 PM   #62
spatcha88

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS Whiteout
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Bro. This is coming from a guy who has owned a 03 350z and an 07 350z Roadster convert. Like everyone else is saying they are two different animals. I was on the verge of getting the 370z before I found my love for the FRS. Seeing as I was a huge 350z fan and a vet from my350z.com the 370z was somewhat of a let down. I test drove one and don't get me wrong it puts down the power definately. But with the 37k out the door (2014 base model) the price didn't justify the car. Also the 370z lacked what made the 350 such a legendary vehicle, the car to driver connection. It just wasn't there. And yeah, there are times I kind of wish I picked up the 370z due to the raw power, but it will never handle like the frs and that I GUERANTEE. By January 2016, I'm just going to buy a used second hand 350z. You won't get the updated interior nor modern looks... but you don't buy a 370 to look pretty in. You do it for the fun factor man. And saying that, get the FRS and pick up a used 350z and I promise you, you'll be happy.
spatcha88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 04:46 AM   #63
Yoniyama

Drives: BRZ 2018
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I can think of some reasons to pick a Z over a FT-86, including:

1 Better value for money ($/kg)
With a sticker price of US$29,900 and a curb weight of 1,691kg, the Z costs US$17.7/kg. FT-86 has a sticker price of US$25,670 and weighs only 1,251kg, its price per kg goes way up to US$20.5/kg. The Z is 14% better value (on a $/kg basis.)

2 Monster Wheels and Tires
The Z comes with standard 18-inch wheels, and even bigger 19-inch wheels are available. FT-86 only gets tiny 17-inch wheels (16-inch in some markets). This is not hip. Especially since I have a self-esteem issue with my appearance, I need the monster wheels to boost my (self-perceived) manhood.

3 Fuel Consumption
FT-86 covers 22 to 30 miles per gallon (3.785 litres) of gasoline (based on EPA rating), compared with 18 to 26 miles per gallon for the Z.

We must help our brothers in Texas and North Dakota who are drowning in oil, let’s burn all the fuel that they can frack. Besides, with all the snow in the East Coast, a little more global warming may also alleviate their chill.

4 Driving Skill
FT-86 has an amazing chassis and ultra-low centre of gravity, but only 200 horse-power. Driving fast in a FT-86 requires skill and finesse, but I barely passed the driving licence test. Attaining speed in a Z is much easier: just step on the accelerator.

5 Longer Range
The Z can easily cover 350 miles on a full tank, compared with barely over 300 miles for the FT-86. I hate waiting in line for fuel at Costco.

6 I hate my neighbour’s kids
The Z has no back seats, and so my neighbours cannot ask me to drive their kids to any silly soccer game. The two jump seats in the FT-86 are too tempting for my neighbours to ask for favours driving their two brats.

7 Proven Technology
The Z comes with proven technology like viscous limited differential (optional), port fuel-injection, yards of mild steel sheets, V6 engine with a 60o offset plus an over-square design and smooth aerodynamics with a C/D coefficient of 0.30. This is more-of-less state-of-the-art technology in the 1990’s.

The FT-86 has all kinds of exotic high-tech stuff like direct and port fuel injection, high compression rate of 12:1, extensive use of high-strength steel and alloys, ultra-low C/D coefficient of 0.26, fully-balanced horizontally opposed engine plus a square design, and torsen limited slip differential, etc, this is just too much for ordinary folks. No wonder the FT-86 is so expensive per kg.

People should know their place and not use stuff that belongs to a Porsche in a little Japanese coupe.

And please don't take any of the above seriously.
Yoniyama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Yoniyama For This Useful Post:
DoomsdayJesus (03-24-2015), ScoobsMcGee (03-24-2015), sprintertrueno86 (03-24-2015)
Old 03-24-2015, 02:37 AM   #64
DoomsdayJesus
In Autobahn withdrawl

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited Man., WRB
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I test drove 3 cars before I bought my 2013 BRZ. A lightly used 350, a new 370, and the BRZ AT/MT both (so okay, 4 cars). Both Zs were just unbelievably loud with road noise. The steering felt like there was no power steering. The road harshness was unreal. The blind spots were terrible. The mileage completely sucks, but that alone wouldn't have been a dealbreaker.

Nissan made it fit. It's the reason the car has been nearly universally panned by TopGear and other outlets saying great idea, terrible execution. Running over 10 years now. It's heavy, handles terribly for the size and power, and Nissan continues to make terrible design decisions with it.

I went to the BRZ after a Neon SRT-4 that I miss dearly in spite of FWD and a used 330Ci that was a perfectly balanced, wonderfully powered maintenance queen that made my wallet hemorrhage.

This is easily the most fun car to drive. Soon enough I'll get some extra ponies out of it, but I have had precisely zero regrets passing on the Z. It's an unrefined load of crap. If I wanted the same concept better executed, I would have bought a Mustang GT.
DoomsdayJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 01:18 PM   #65
totopo

Drives: 370z
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsdayJesus View Post
I test drove 3 cars before I bought my 2013 BRZ. A lightly used 350, a new 370, and the BRZ AT/MT both (so okay, 4 cars). Both Zs were just unbelievably loud with road noise. The steering felt like there was no power steering. The road harshness was unreal. The blind spots were terrible. The mileage completely sucks, but that alone wouldn't have been a dealbreaker.

Nissan made it fit. It's the reason the car has been nearly universally panned by TopGear and other outlets saying great idea, terrible execution. Running over 10 years now. It's heavy, handles terribly for the size and power, and Nissan continues to make terrible design decisions with it.

I went to the BRZ after a Neon SRT-4 that I miss dearly in spite of FWD and a used 330Ci that was a perfectly balanced, wonderfully powered maintenance queen that made my wallet hemorrhage.

This is easily the most fun car to drive. Soon enough I'll get some extra ponies out of it, but I have had precisely zero regrets passing on the Z. It's an unrefined load of crap. If I wanted the same concept better executed, I would have bought a Mustang GT.
what do you mean by handling? The z road holds a ton better than the twins though it doesn't feel as fun.

I don't see how you really can get a feel of a car on a test drive. I've test driven the brz and I couldn't really tell crap. do other dealers let you break out the rear end?

I've driven an s2k a decent amount, and flickable cars are fun, but so is lateral grip and torque. It's the eternal tradeoff. I don't think the z belongs in the flickable category, but I think it compares well to most sports cars in its class.
totopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 01:41 PM   #66
Special_K
Bannéd

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ
Thanked 2,077 Times in 911 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by botbs View Post
This may solve your problem =)

Nissan Canada just announced the news earlier this month and we will get the $29k base model !

The fascinating thing about my signature is that by the time you realize that it is of no importance, it will also be too late to stop reading it. Good luck getting those five seconds of your life back.
Special_K is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Special_K For This Useful Post:
botbs (03-25-2015), N_A (03-24-2015)
Old 03-24-2015, 02:06 PM   #67
Speed2th
I love my series blue brz

Drives: 2010 335d
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
I previously own a G35 coupe 6MT. cars like that will make you want to drive fast and accelerate fast to get the fun of it. twins can enjoy the fun at low speed.
Speed2th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 03:07 PM   #68
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Drives: CWP S.B.
Thanked 1,293 Times in 873 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
If I'm given the choice of 370Z and G37S, I will pick G37S.

and 350Z > 370Z
chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 03:11 PM   #69
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoskaze View Post
and 350Z > 370Z
Maybe as far as looks go. When it comes to performance

370z > 350z
funwheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 03:22 PM   #70
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I had a 350z. I thought it was a pretty good car, but if you're looking for that feeling of connectedness or agility, you won't get that with the 350z (or 370z).

The one thing I miss though is the engine note. The VQ35 is such a great sounding engine.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
raven1231 (03-29-2015)