follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 04-15-2013, 09:18 PM   #1
GSX-R35

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 2010 Nissan GT-R
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Kenwood DDX630WBT Toyota-spec head unit w/ nav install in US

I don't know if someone has done the same install in the US before but I just wanted to share this with other North American owners in case anyone was curious. I wanted to replace my stock head unit with a nav-equipped model that was a proper fit for the wide Toyota slot. I had heard of the Kenwood DDX630WBT on this forum but was disappointed to find it was not available in the US and although I saw it on eBay I was reluctant to plop down 700 bucks for one without seeing it in person.

On a recent trip overseas though I found one on sale at a car accessory store and decided to take the plunge after doing some research on possible compatibility issues. I paid about $625 for it with a free backup camera thrown in.

After getting it back to the US I ordered a Kenwood KNA-G610 nav module, iPod cable, and an aftermarket antenna adapter. I was fairly confident it would all work but I still had some concerns that I'd end up with an expensive paperweight since Kenwood doesn't specifically say it will work with the G610 but since I knew the G630 was the same unit with the same interface only with a different map pack I thought it was worth taking the chance.

Well, the good news is that it did work! After getting everything installed the US nav module works just fine with the Asian-spec head unit! And it looks a lot cleaner than a regular double DIN unit with filler plates on each side

The only hitches I've had have to do with video - the DVD player is not US region coded of course and for some reason I get audio from my iPod but no video when playing a movie but these are minor niggles since I don't really plan on watching movies in my FR-S anyway lol.

So if anyone is looking for a Toyota-sized head unit from a major audio brand the Kenwood unit is definitely an option if you can score one from Asia. Just be aware it's not a cheap option lol.

Here're some pics:

Parts before install:

Navi mode on:

iPod mode:

DVD mode:

Front panel down:
GSX-R35 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GSX-R35 For This Useful Post:
Efferalgan (04-19-2013), Jeff86 (04-19-2013)
Old 04-19-2013, 05:14 PM   #2
Jeff86

Drives: 86 (FR-S)
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Glad this worked out for you! I had exactly the same idea several months ago and actually ordered this very unit on eBay. Problem was, when it entered the country customs held it up in shipping. They demanded the company that sold it (in Singapore) produce several pieces of documentation declaring it legal to use in the United State before they would release it to be delivered. The company was unable to produce this documentation and the unit was returned to said company without my ever laying hands on it.

The eBay seller was extremely cool, however, and promptly refunded my money. They were also willing to try shipping it over again by a different carrier, but at that point I just decided to call it quits. I do believe they have successfully gotten a couple of units to people and I was simply unlucky.

Like you, I knew the video would be regioned and didn't really care about that... figured I'd pick up a few DVDs from that region just to play with it. It hadn't dawned on me that the video from my portable device would be similarly regioned. Good to know.

My wife and I take trips to Japan every couple of years. We will be going back in the near future. If I may, which country were you visiting when you picked this up?

Thanks for the great review. You have rekindled my desire to have one of these in my FR-S!
Jeff86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:38 PM   #3
Juan_Ri

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I got the same radio installed on my FRS and I'm from Puerto Rico. Did the nav system works fine?... I have not buy it because I thought it would not work, so is good to know that it works. I have being able to see all videos from old ipod classic and also from my iphone 4g (use it as an ipod). So you should be able to see any kind of video from any of those. Also, I'm still waiting for a company to find the code to make the dvd all regions free. (Hope they can find one)
Juan_Ri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:30 AM   #4
iketiak

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86/Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff86 View Post
Glad this worked out for you! I had exactly the same idea several months ago and actually ordered this very unit on eBay. Problem was, when it entered the country customs held it up in shipping. They demanded the company that sold it (in Singapore) produce several pieces of documentation declaring it legal to use in the United State before they would release it to be delivered. The company was unable to produce this documentation and the unit was returned to said company without my ever laying hands on it.

The eBay seller was extremely cool, however, and promptly refunded my money. They were also willing to try shipping it over again by a different carrier, but at that point I just decided to call it quits. I do believe they have successfully gotten a couple of units to people and I was simply unlucky.

Like you, I knew the video would be regioned and didn't really care about that... figured I'd pick up a few DVDs from that region just to play with it. It hadn't dawned on me that the video from my portable device would be similarly regioned. Good to know.

My wife and I take trips to Japan every couple of years. We will be going back in the near future. If I may, which country were you visiting when you picked this up?

Thanks for the great review. You have rekindled my desire to have one of these in my FR-S!
I also had the same problem, but I got in contact with the shipper and supplied them with the FCC740 form and the second time it was shipped there was no hold up. It's downloadable via fedex and the information can be found on the Kenwood website to fill out the form.
iketiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:44 PM   #5
Gir

Drives: 86 GT Manual - Sonic Blue
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
You shouldn't need the iPod cable. I've had no trouble using full iPod controls directly through the USB port.
Gir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:49 PM   #6
butdamnbrian

Drives: 13 gbs brz
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
does this thing have built in hd radio
Old 04-21-2013, 02:17 PM   #7
iketiak

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86/Scion FRS
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by butdamnbrian View Post
does this thing have built in hd radio
No but I think there's a add on for that http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entert...ries/KTC-HR300
iketiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:23 PM   #8
Juan_Ri

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Here are the specs of the radio...

General Features
- 7inch wide high resolution VGA Colour TFT Display with LED backlighting
- 200mm wide panel for Toyota, Auto slide panel with tilt mechanism
- Touch Panel Control with GUI
- Variable Key Color illumination
- Background Customize (JPEG x 1)
- Multi Language (Menu & Tag)
- English, Thai, Turkish, Arabic, Persian, Simplified/Traditional Chinese, Indonesia
Audio/Video Features
- Maximum Output Power : 50W x 4
- 192kHz 24bit DAC
- System Q EX (3 band Parametric EQ)
- High pass & Low pass filter built-in
- Subwoofer Level Adjustable

DVD/CD Features
- DVD Video/+/-R/RW/CD-DA/-R/RW/VCD
- Dolby Digital(2ch downmix), DTS(2ch downmix)
- MP3/WMA/AAC/WAV playback
- MPEG1/MPEG2/DivX(Home Theater3.0)/JPEG playback

USB Features
- MP3/WMA/AAC/WAV playback
- MPEG1/MPEG2/JPEG playback

Tuner Features
- FM/MW 24 Station Presets (18FM, 6MW)
- RDS with Radio Text Plus --- for M/M2 type only

Connection Features
- USB Interface (Rear) x 1
- iPod USB Direct Connection with optional KCA-iP202
- iPod/AV input (Rear) x 1, AV input (Rear) x 1
- Rear View Camera Input (RCA) x 1
- AV Output (V:RCA, A:mini jack) x 1
- 3 Preout (4.0V)
- Advanced Navigation Interface
- Direct OEM wired remote control

Accessories
- RC-DV340 (remote) --- for M/M2 type only

For added Bluetooth connectivity, the Kenwood DDX-630WBT is available.
Juan_Ri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 07:52 PM   #9
GSX-R35

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, 2010 Nissan GT-R
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Wow, sorry if I didn't reply to the people posting questions previously. The thread didn't get any responses for several days so I thought no one was interested in it and I never got any notifications in my email that anyone had posted. I spend most of my forum time on my other car's owners club so I hadn't checked on this thread in forever until someone else asked me about my head unit.

Anyway, if anyone still wants more info here's a few little tidbits:

1. I bought my unit in the Philippines while on vacation there and hand carried it on the flight back so no customs issues for me.

2. The issue with my iPod video not playing was not region-related. The shop that did the install hadn't seated the iPod cable fully and after that was corrected I can play video from my iPod with no issue.

3. I had some issues with the Kenwood nav module at first but I sent it back to Kenwood and got a new unit back and after swapping out the module AND THE CABLES (apparently both had issues) my GPS has been working great ever since.

Again, sorry for not responding to the subsequent posts but I hope this can be of use to anyone still interested.
GSX-R35 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GSX-R35 For This Useful Post:
chanomatik (05-05-2014)
Old 12-18-2013, 09:10 AM   #10
Alabang BRZ

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
A few questions.

How is the compatibility of the DDX630WBT with Apple iOS 7 and Android 4.4 Kitkat?

I found out that other than the Subaru BRZ the Toyota 200mm wide 2DIN standard is also used by the Third generation (2007–2011; GE, GH, GR, GV) Subaru Impreza and Third generation (SH, 2008–2013) Subaru Forester.

I was told by a dealer/installer that the steering wheel controls of the Subarus can be used by the Kenwood. There is no need for splicing.
Alabang BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 03:23 PM   #11
HRTROB

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabang BRZ View Post
A few questions.

How is the compatibility of the DDX630WBT with Apple iOS 7 and Android 4.4 Kitkat?

I found out that other than the Subaru BRZ the Toyota 200mm wide 2DIN standard is also used by the Third generation (2007–2011; GE, GH, GR, GV) Subaru Impreza and Third generation (SH, 2008–2013) Subaru Forester.

I was told by a dealer/installer that the steering wheel controls of the Subarus can be used by the Kenwood. There is no need for splicing.
I was able to try out the DDX630WBT at a local shop. I found the interface too slow. No problems with ios7 though. I already got used to the Pioneer AppRadio mode in my other car so I got another Pioneer for my 86 instead.

Regarding the steering wheel control for Subarus, the DDX630WBT comes with the pre-2012 Toyota 20 pin connector used for steering wheel control and Aux input. The FRS/86/BRZ come with the Toyota 2012-up 28 pin connector. If the Subarus you mentioned use the same Toyota 20 pin connector, then the steering wheel controls will work with any aftermarket radio with a remote input using the Axxess ASWC1 and the 20 pin adapter (no splicing) like this one [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Metra-70-8114-Steering-Control-Vehicles/dp/B0064J4LOM/ref=pd_sim_e_1"]Amazon.com: Metra 70-8114 Steering Wheel Control Wire Harness with RCA for 2003-Up Select Toyota/Scion/Lexus Vehicles: Car Electronics[/ame]
HRTROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 11:21 AM   #12
Koalar

Drives: Toyota 86
Got my DDX630WBTCT3 today. I noticed that it doesn't fit the brackets good. I can only install two screws on each side where there should be four screws. And when I put the head unit back in, the braces were much too high that it wouldn't go in. So didn't you trim the brackets to make them fit? How did you do that?
Koalar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 02:03 PM   #13
NcK985

Drives: Gt86
Hello GSX-R35.
I’m an italian guy and I’ve got a Toyota Gt86.
Congrats for your car.

I saw that you have assembled a car radio Kenwood DDX630WBT successfully.

I’d like to ask you some questions, please.

Can the car radio be installed without modifications in the exact position of the original one?
Do the internal support brackets need any modifications?

Is it possible to use the original USB entry and the original microphone of the car?
Are any adapters included with the car radio?

Thank you very much.
NcK985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 02:16 PM   #14
fika84

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NcK985 View Post
Hello GSX-R35.
I’m an italian guy and I’ve got a Toyota Gt86.
Congrats for your car.

I saw that you have assembled a car radio Kenwood DDX630WBT successfully.

I’d like to ask you some questions, please.

Can the car radio be installed without modifications in the exact position of the original one?
Do the internal support brackets need any modifications?

Is it possible to use the original USB entry and the original microphone of the car?
Are any adapters included with the car radio?

Thank you very much.
Seeing as how @GSX-R35 's post was from November 2013, I doubt he will respond to your questions..
fika84 is offline   Reply With Quote