follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 04-23-2014, 09:47 AM   #155
Prog

Drives: 2016 Cadillac CTS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratters View Post
JVC Smart Music Control
To connect to your head unit, you need to go into 'Media', then bring up the menu, click 'Connect' then select your head unit (JVC Unit).
A toast message should come up saying 'Connected to car receiver' or something. Then you can use the gestures to control your head unit.
TBH its a pretty shitty app, but at least I can control my head unit through it
Mine would connect like that about once in every 30 tries. Is the Nexus the only device you have paired to the head unit? Could be because I had the Nexus and my iPhone paired.
Prog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:10 PM   #156
ratters

Drives:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prog View Post
Mine would connect like that about once in every 30 tries. Is the Nexus the only device you have paired to the head unit? Could be because I had the Nexus and my iPhone paired.
I sometimes have my Sony Xperia Z1 paired, but I don't think it affected anything.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk
ratters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 02:20 AM   #157
Reflex

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojhinn View Post
Two options:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062214

But you are going to need one rca to male headphone adapter for this. Plus you can get it right now, and return it easily if it does not work.

Reviews are great for this and it does not look like it affects sound quality.

Next up is this bad boy:

Amazon.com: PAC Ground Loop Isolator for 3.5 MM Applications: Automotive

Cheap. Good reviews, but a few people complained it reduced sound quality. Not sure if this is true.
Ended up getting the Ground Loop Isolator from Amazon. It did help cancel out a lot of the static, but when I started my engine up it was probably two times worse than before? I tried wiggling the wires around and it did help to some extent, but the static came back at random times when I went for a test drive.

At this point I think it's either the charging cable or the usb cigarette charger. What are my options?

Thanks again for the help by the way, I really appreciate it!
Reflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 10:09 AM   #158
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Drives: Limited Red 6MT BRZ
Thanked 1,167 Times in 644 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflex View Post
Ended up getting the Ground Loop Isolator from Amazon. It did help cancel out a lot of the static, but when I started my engine up it was probably two times worse than before? I tried wiggling the wires around and it did help to some extent, but the static came back at random times when I went for a test drive.

At this point I think it's either the charging cable or the usb cigarette charger. What are my options?

Thanks again for the help by the way, I really appreciate it!

Did you try charging via the headunit usb?

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Sojhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 07:50 AM   #159
dz93

Drives: toyota 86
i still havent gotten my system done but ive been introduced to another method which i will probably follow if everything checks out and i will probably scrap the head unit altogether.

It utilizes apples Air Port Express (APE).
basically it is a router that can stream music. so if you have it in your house you connect the router to your speakers and connect to the router wirelessly (via wifi) and stream music to the speakers wirelessly.
This is good cause it doesnt utilise the tablets bluetooth channel if you want to connect to other stuff.

so you have

Tablet > APE > (via optical cord) Digital processor > amplifier > speakers
The signal is kept in high quality digital all the way to the processor for great sounding audio. This also gives you the option for anyone else in the car to connect to the APE with their phones and play music off that instead of the tablet.

The only thing i have to test out which would hold me back from it is if it transfers all audio. so if i am on my nexus and i am using an emulator or surfing the web, i want to hear the keyboard typing, background music, the lot. not jut music audio.
dz93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 09:58 AM   #160
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by dz93 View Post
i still havent gotten my system done but ive been introduced to another method which i will probably follow if everything checks out and i will probably scrap the head unit altogether.

It utilizes apples Air Port Express (APE).
basically it is a router that can stream music. so if you have it in your house you connect the router to your speakers and connect to the router wirelessly (via wifi) and stream music to the speakers wirelessly.
This is good cause it doesnt utilise the tablets bluetooth channel if you want to connect to other stuff.

so you have

Tablet > APE > (via optical cord) Digital processor > amplifier > speakers
The signal is kept in high quality digital all the way to the processor for great sounding audio. This also gives you the option for anyone else in the car to connect to the APE with their phones and play music off that instead of the tablet.

The only thing i have to test out which would hold me back from it is if it transfers all audio. so if i am on my nexus and i am using an emulator or surfing the web, i want to hear the keyboard typing, background music, the lot. not jut music audio.

Interesting idea. I use 5 ape's in my house for whole home audio. Let me know how it goes.

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Old 04-27-2014, 01:07 PM   #161
Prog

Drives: 2016 Cadillac CTS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
So, I posted videos of my old Nexus install on YouTube, and I just got a comment from a developer about his car app. Seems interesting...would've liked to have had this to try out when I still had the Nexus in there.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ebook.kikrules

It's in Spanish, but...maybe it will help out someone?
Prog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 02:22 PM   #162
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prog View Post
So, I posted videos of my old Nexus install on YouTube, and I just got a comment from a developer about his car app. Seems interesting...would've liked to have had this to try out when I still had the Nexus in there.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ebook.kikrules

It's in Spanish, but...maybe it will help out someone?

Looks interesting. I like my widgets though.

Installed Mods:
Old 05-10-2014, 03:49 AM   #163
Reflex

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Quote:
Did you try charging via the headunit usb?
Yeah but the headunit USB doesn't provide enough juice to charge the tablet. Tried some ferrite snaps but that didn't do much either. I'm stuck
Reflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:31 AM   #164
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflex View Post
Yeah but the headunit USB doesn't provide enough juice to charge the tablet. Tried some ferrite snaps but that didn't do much either. I'm stuck

Did you turn on fast recharging?

Installed Mods:
Old 07-08-2014, 09:03 AM   #165
dz93

Drives: toyota 86
Hey guys so im back, bringing this up from the dead. However this time around im not posting to ask a question im posting with my install results.

So my Tablet is now flush mounted in the dash, ive got an audison bit one processor in the setup along with alot of fun software hacks like running playstation and nintendo games.

here is my video on youtube demonstrating the install and features etc.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYPgo_R56Lg"]Nexus 7 Tablet Head Unit Install Toyota 86, Subaru BRZ - YouTube[/ame]

I also did a DIY document and have uploaded the file. you can see in the document pictures of my install and how everything looks and is wired.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/kvme8llc4fraf8v/DZ.docx

SO. VERY. HAPPY.

let me know what you think
dz93 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dz93 For This Useful Post:
labskaus (07-10-2014), Namuna (07-09-2014), Sojhinn (07-08-2014)
Old 07-09-2014, 08:04 PM   #166
coupeae86

Drives: 2013 FRS 1986 Corolla GTS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
A quick question. Can you stream music via bluetooth in the background and have torque running simultaneously? Some people claim success and other claim it isn't possible.
coupeae86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:59 PM   #167
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupeae86 View Post
A quick question. Can you stream music via bluetooth in the background and have torque running simultaneously? Some people claim success and other claim it isn't possible.

The nexus 7 is directly connected to the head unit so yes I can listen to music and do torque At the same time. The point of the usb dac is to make make sure there's a high quality connection for audio.

Installed Mods:
Old 07-09-2014, 10:00 PM   #168
coupeae86

Drives: 2013 FRS 1986 Corolla GTS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
The nexus 7 is directly connected to the head unit so yes I can listen to music and do torque At the same time. The point of the usb dac is to make make sure there's a high quality connection for audio.
Thanks for the reply although this does not answer my question. I plan on getting the cheapest supported(jvc smart music control) jvc head unit to connect with my tablet. And from what i understand in order to change sources on the head unit it's gotta be done through bluetooth.

So to rephrase my question: will I be able to switch sources on the radio from the jvc app on my tablet, and then switch back to the torque app on my tablet without having to switch the bluetooth sourcing in between?

Or can I switch sources on the head unit through the jvc app via the usb port?
coupeae86 is offline   Reply With Quote