follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 04-07-2014, 12:31 PM   #99
Rican_D

Drives: Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew025 View Post
But if it works well, does it really matter?
Yeah it looks like they did a really nice job optimizing the OS on the HU.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Rican_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:27 PM   #100
Namuna

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew025 View Post
But if it works well, does it really matter?
I get it, it's about the overall Ca-Fi package for that pricepoint and not just the Processor. Unfortunately the tech-geek in me that knows the Nexus7 2013 can be had for $230 (or less).

Also keep in mind that the Nexus7 doesn't just have a FAR SUPERIOR processor, but the same with a FAR SUPERIOR GPU (which means screens come up much faster and transitions are smoother).

I've watched some of the videos of the Ca-Fi unit in use and indeed it looks to work fine. But again, knowing how capable the Nexus7 is and at its' pricepoint....If the Ca-Fi was more in the $350 or under range, I'd personally have given it a lot more consideration so yeah, at least for me, it does matter.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:31 PM   #101
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Drives: Limited Red 6MT BRZ
Thanked 1,167 Times in 644 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namuna View Post
I get it, it's about the overall Ca-Fi package for that pricepoint and not just the Processor. Unfortunately the tech-geek in me that knows the Nexus7 2013 can be had for $230 (or less).

Also keep in mind that the Nexus7 doesn't just have a FAR SUPERIOR processor, but the same with a FAR SUPERIOR GPU (which means screens come up much faster and transitions are smoother).

I've watched some of the videos of the Ca-Fi unit in use and indeed it looks to work fine. But again, knowing how capable the Nexus7 is and at its' pricepoint....If the Ca-Fi was more in the $350 or under range, I'd personally have given it a lot more consideration so yeah, at least for me, it does matter.

My only issue is the price point. If it was cheaper it would be a great option but with a little tinkering you can save 300 bucks.

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Sojhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:59 PM   #102
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by dz93 View Post
What did you decide? And hows the car.

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Old 04-08-2014, 10:11 PM   #103
Creole

Drives: Monogram FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
not everyday but temperatures can be 30+ (degrees celcius)

as for the processor, ive seen a couple other people use them.
im not all that interested as i want to spend as little as possible and dont think i need it.

but they'll give off great sound.
my friend doing an ipad install..
he is getting a cord that goes from the ipad and splits into rca's
the rca's into the processor (no headunit) then onward to the amps.

Any chance you can get a picture of the iPad install? I would love to see that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-10-2014, 10:50 AM   #104
dz93

Drives: toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojhinn View Post
What did you decide? And hows the car.
I think i am going to go with the nexus install.
im just not really a fan of how many extra things there are dangling around, usb hub, arduino, dac etc.
might try find another dac that doesnt click when powering on.

i dont have money atm, really broke so the install wont get done for a little while.

as for the car, i absolutely love it!!!
its been opticoated, 3D floor mats and a shark fin antenna so far.
great head turner and ive just hit 1000km's in it.

I'm afraid my friend hasnt dont his ipad install yet, there are many on the internet however.
mighty car mods even did an episode on one using an ipad mini.
dz93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 12:48 AM   #105
Creole

Quote:
I'm afraid my friend hasnt dont his ipad install yet, there are many on the internet however.

mighty car mods even did an episode on one using an ipad mini.

They did the episode on the iPad install on a FRS?

Old 04-15-2014, 04:00 AM   #106
dz93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creole View Post
They did the episode on the iPad install on a FRS?

sorry to mislead you but no.
unless your informing me that they have recently. in that case... SHOOOOOWWWW ME haha
Old 04-15-2014, 09:13 AM   #107
Creole

Quote:
sorry to mislead you but no.

unless your informing me that they have recently. in that case... SHOOOOOWWWW ME haha

Haha, I dono, I searched I didn't find anything. I thought you were saying they did the episode on the install in a frs

Old 04-15-2014, 09:43 AM   #108
Prog

Drives: 2016 Cadillac CTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namuna View Post
I saw that thread as well and also thought that might be a decent alternative...UNTIL I saw the cost ($533) and the fact it's only a single-core 1GHz processor (vs. quad-core 1.5GHz of the Nexus7 2013).
Nexus 7 installs are kind of a bitch, to be honest. I've had mine in my car since November/December and have never been completely happy with it. I recently tried to make it removable by adding some brackets/magnets to the center bezel and by removing those white clips, but nothing works right. The lack of physical buttons is still annoying me. There's a constant whine when I listen to podcasts, which I have a USB DAC for, but I *still* have to wait for Timur's ROM for the 2nd gen Nexus 7 or spend hours upon hours upon hours going through other ROMs and kernels, hoping to find one with the proper combination of decent charging, USB OTG, and stability. When my girlfriend wants to listen to her music on her iPhone (or if I want to listen to something on my iPhone), I have to guess how far down to put the volume since it has to be up so loud for aux on the Nexus, and then when she's done, I have to count the number of times I press the source button on the headunit remote to get back from USB to AUX, and guess how much to put the volume back up again. And this still doesn't address the fact that some of us simply cannot leave a tablet with a Lithium ion battery in our cars due to extreme cold or hot. I personally would have to remove the tablet from my car every weekday during the summer before work, and replace it when I get back in my car afterwards.

Last week, I ordered a Ca-Fi Dashlinq4. The Nexus 7 had a good run, and as cool/clean as it looks, it's more annoying than anything else. It looks like the new Ca-Fi is not quite as customizable as I'd like, but I'm hoping it just works, unlike the Nexus.
Prog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Prog For This Useful Post:
CxG (04-01-2017)
Old 04-15-2014, 10:02 AM   #109
dz93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prog View Post
Nexus 7 installs are kind of a bitch, to be honest. I've had mine in my car since November/December and have never been completely happy with it. I recently tried to make it removable by adding some brackets/magnets to the center bezel and by removing those white clips, but nothing works right. The lack of physical buttons is still annoying me. There's a constant whine when I listen to podcasts, which I have a USB DAC for, but I *still* have to wait for Timur's ROM for the 2nd gen Nexus 7 or spend hours upon hours upon hours going through other ROMs and kernels, hoping to find one with the proper combination of decent charging, USB OTG, and stability. When my girlfriend wants to listen to her music on her iPhone (or if I want to listen to something on my iPhone), I have to guess how far down to put the volume since it has to be up so loud for aux on the Nexus, and then when she's done, I have to count the number of times I press the source button on the headunit remote to get back from USB to AUX, and guess how much to put the volume back up again. And this still doesn't address the fact that some of us simply cannot leave a tablet with a Lithium ion battery in our cars due to extreme cold or hot. I personally would have to remove the tablet from my car every weekday during the summer before work, and replace it when I get back in my car afterwards.

Last week, I ordered a Ca-Fi Dashlinq4. The Nexus 7 had a good run, and as cool/clean as it looks, it's more annoying than anything else. It looks like the new Ca-Fi is not quite as customizable as I'd like, but I'm hoping it just works, unlike the Nexus.
its things like this that is holding me back from my perma-decision on the nexus.
but i think i might still go ahead with the install, i'll need to test out my DAC again and make sure it doesnt click upon every boot.
ive got a headunit that has an app that works with the nexus so i can control the headunit from the nexus.

the dashlinq just seems so cheap and easy.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:13 AM   #110
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prog View Post

Well sounds like you didn't want to spend the money to make your life easier but you are willing to spend more money for a head unit.

Timurs rom would of saved you for a lot of those issues if you had just bought it in the first place.

The whine issue you are having is due to a grounding issue. You can usually fix that with a 5 dollar audio part. This is a fairly common issue with many audio installs. (Especially self installs)

As for you volume issues that's would be your head unit. One of the things I like about my head unit is that each audio source has it's own volume.

But in the end different strokes for different folks. Choose what makes you happy. Ive been very happy with my install and I have had zero issues. The system works like a dream.

Installed Mods:
The Following User Says Thank You to Sojhinn For This Useful Post:
CxG (04-01-2017)
Old 04-15-2014, 11:33 AM   #111
Prog

Quote:
ive got a headunit that has an app that works with the nexus so i can control the headunit from the nexus .
What head unit do you have? Odds are you need to press something on the head unit to activate pairing between it and the Nexus. I looked into this as well for my install, and there was no head unit I could find that did not require physical access to the head unit for pairing.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:36 AM   #112
Prog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojhinn View Post
Well sounds like you didn't want to spend the money to make your life easier but you are willing to spend more money for a head unit.

Timurs rom would of saved you for a lot of those issues if you had just bought it in the first place.

The whine issue you are having is due to a grounding issue. You can usually fix that with a 5 dollar audio part. This is a fairly common issue with many audio installs. (Especially self installs)
My Nexus 7 install has already cost more than a Ca-Fi Dashlinq4, I really didn't want to spend another $60 on Timur's ROM...

What is the part that would fix the whine? Because I already have a ground loop isolator.