follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 04-27-2022, 01:56 PM   #15
dragoontwo

Drives: 22 BRZ limited
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Solostorm for AutoX.

AIM Solo 2 DL for anything else.
Not to waste your time, but is there a short version of why?
dragoontwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 02:29 PM   #16
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoontwo View Post
Not to waste your time, but is there a short version of why?
They capture a lot of data that you can use to help yourself go faster.

1hz phone systems are useless, and most bluetooth adapters do not have a high enough poll rate to be truly useful beyond the most basic "this is your lap time +- 1s", and "this was roughly your speed within a 1s window". Mostly useless.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
dragoontwo (04-27-2022), Kelse92 (04-27-2022)
Old 04-27-2022, 02:35 PM   #17
M0nk3y

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS / Chevy Colorado
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:

1hz phone systems are useless, and most bluetooth adapters do not have a high enough poll rate to be truly useful beyond the most basic "this is your lap time +- 1s", and "this was roughly your speed within a 1s window". Mostly useless.
I would recommend RaceCapture Track/MK2 (or MK3 now I suppose) but honestly the app and analysis is such trash and the owner is resistant to resolve actual bugs so I can't recommend them anymore.

It's a great recorder. Has always been within hundredths of an actual transponder but besides predicative laps you won't pull much usefulness out of it.

So, I think I'm jumping ship and going AIM Solo 2 DL.

@CSG Mike - any platform specific mounting solutions?
Kyle H. - #89 STX
M0nk3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 02:38 PM   #18
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0nk3y View Post
I would recommend RaceCapture Track/MK2 (or MK3 now I suppose) but honestly the app and analysis is such trash and the owner is resistant to resolve actual bugs so I can't recommend them anymore.

It's a great recorder. Has always been within hundredths of an actual transponder but besides predicative laps you won't pull much usefulness out of it.

Suction cup to window. You want the unit to have a clear view of the sky to get a good GPS signal.

PM to order.
Old 04-27-2022, 02:58 PM   #19
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,253 Times in 7,346 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

I've run a phone app to a 10hz GPS back to back with my Solo2 and a transponder. Negligible difference. Yes, running it off the phones 1hz base GPS is pointless but that is not what many of of are talking about doing.
timurrrr (05-03-2022)
Old 04-27-2022, 03:07 PM   #20
RedReplicant

Drives: None
Thanked 1,195 Times in 509 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
I agree that AIM is the way to go, but the annoying part about an AIM Solo 2 DL is that you can't add other sensors that aren't made available over CANBUS, you need to go up to a MXM or something to add in say, oil pressure. Obviously, if you have an aftermarket ECU you can pipe whatever you want into a DL but it is worth noting.

Also, the Smartycam 2.1 makes it easy but the video quality is garbage compared to basically everything else out. It writes the data overlay onto the video live so it needs the hardware to handle that, Smartycam 3 is coming out soon that does 1080p.
Old 04-27-2022, 04:24 PM   #21
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
I've run a phone app to a 10hz GPS back to back with my Solo2 and a transponder. Negligible difference. Yes, running it off the phones 1hz base GPS is pointless but that is not what many of of are talking about doing.
That, however, doesn't change the fact that the poll rate from your CANBUS is way too low.

The GPS is only really good for seeing speeds and lap time. That's only the tip of the iceberg for data.
Old 04-27-2022, 04:26 PM   #22
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedReplicant View Post
I agree that AIM is the way to go, but the annoying part about an AIM Solo 2 DL is that you can't add other sensors that aren't made available over CANBUS, you need to go up to a MXM or something to add in say, oil pressure. Obviously, if you have an aftermarket ECU you can pipe whatever you want into a DL but it is worth noting.

Also, the Smartycam 2.1 makes it easy but the video quality is garbage compared to basically everything else out. It writes the data overlay onto the video live so it needs the hardware to handle that, Smartycam 3 is coming out soon that does 1080p.
Resolution is low(720p), but the actual video is quite good, and is solid state. If you chucked the Smartycam out of your car at 180mph, it would record the entire tumble.

All you need for the real-time overlay is a Solo/Solo2 DL. Of course you can use other AIM hardware as well.

Real-time overlay is THE selling point of the Smartycam. It's invaluable when you're in a time crunch, and overlays the data precisely without needing you to sync manually.
Old 04-27-2022, 05:18 PM   #23
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
That, however, doesn't change the fact that the poll rate from your CANBUS is way too low.

The GPS is only really good for seeing speeds and lap time. That's only the tip of the iceberg for data.
Which adaptor? The BLE adaptors have some trouble when querying a bunch of PID's. It is not terrible when using a good one like MXLink, some guys have logged data rates as high as 50hz logging half a dozen channels. I don't log that much stuff but they are not bad for far less then an Aim DL.

I had a sour experience with Aim so I am not really that sold on them. The DL's where not available and I bought a Solo2 and I have never been happy with it. Mine has been sitting unused and needing a battery for about 8 months.
timurrrr (05-03-2022)
Old 04-27-2022, 05:37 PM   #24
dragoontwo

Drives: 22 BRZ limited
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I have the OBDLINK MX. I'll start with the racechrono this weekend.

Last edited by dragoontwo; 04-28-2022 at 11:42 AM.
dragoontwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 05:59 PM   #25
RedReplicant

Drives: None
Thanked 1,195 Times in 509 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Resolution is low(720p), but the actual video is quite good, and is solid state. If you chucked the Smartycam out of your car at 180mph, it would record the entire tumble.

All you need for the real-time overlay is a Solo/Solo2 DL. Of course you can use other AIM hardware as well.

Real-time overlay is THE selling point of the Smartycam. It's invaluable when you're in a time crunch, and overlays the data precisely without needing you to sync manually.
I agree, I spent the money to buy it myself. I don't think the complete package can be beat.

Just saying that the video quality can be a bit of a let-down for the total price of entry and that there is an input gate on the DL itself. If you decide you want extra input you'd step up to a MXM or dash and then you realize you need a Data Hub and the expensive AIM sensors. Most people don't need it, but when you do it is kind of an annoying surprise.
Old 04-27-2022, 06:09 PM   #26
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
Which adaptor? The BLE adaptors have some trouble when querying a bunch of PID's. It is not terrible when using a good one like MXLink, some guys have logged data rates as high as 50hz logging half a dozen channels. I don't log that much stuff but they are not bad for far less then an Aim DL.

I had a sour experience with Aim so I am not really that sold on them. The DL's where not available and I bought a Solo2 and I have never been happy with it. Mine has been sitting unused and needing a battery for about 8 months.
I'm 100% sure I would have recommended a DL for you, as a Solo2 is nothing but a fancy lap timer.

Have you tried reaching out to AIM for a replacement battery?
Old 04-28-2022, 11:41 AM   #27
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,470 Times in 4,993 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M0nk3y View Post

Use the race capture with solostorm or circuit storm. A+ accessible data analysis instantly after your laps.

Edit: oops, didn’t see the user name, you clearly know this already and have your reasons for jumping ship. :beer:
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 12:09 PM   #28
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
I'm 100% sure I would have recommended a DL for you, as a Solo2 is nothing but a fancy lap timer.

Have you tried reaching out to AIM for a replacement battery?
I don't think there where any available and I was impatient and got the non DL.

I sourced a battery for it but I have some weird issues with my Solo2 that were kind of annoying. Every time I start a session it would always change the timing setup between predictive and rolling randomly. I also was getting glitchy data when I would port to race studio.