follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 05-21-2013, 07:22 PM   #225
Sonolin
Banned

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAWR BRZ View Post
You aren't even close to high score yet. Your score isnt even as high as mine. I have 37 accidents and 24 cars totaled with 71 tickets.
You and OP should be friends

Sonolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:25 PM   #226
B L U E S L A T E

Drives: BMW E84
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
You aren't even close to high score yet. Your score isnt even as high as mine. I have 37 accidents and 24 cars totaled with 71 tickets.
You win.
B L U E S L A T E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:32 PM   #227
jskurucz
Yep!

Drives: 2015 WRX Sti
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Did you put your initials on the list so everyone knows who you are?
jskurucz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jskurucz For This Useful Post:
Kido1986 (05-21-2013)
Old 05-21-2013, 07:39 PM   #228
Bristecom

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walla Walla View Post
when i was your age, i was driving a brand new Kia Rio... 200$ bucks a month (lease) with no cashdown... and guess what.. with that kind of car, you dont really get many speed tickets...

was it fun? nop

was it responsible? yep

and now... with the results of a series of good life choice, I have a job that is 3 times at least the minimum wage, I have a brz that i can afford, I have my home and I'm not even 30...

yeah.. i could have done the same as you when I was your age.... but I guess you will need to start seeing long term.. or you will realize one day youre juste as wreked as your fr-s...

that's my real advice... what you do with it is your choice
If I had a kid, I would never let him/her get a powerful RWD car to start with. They need to start with a slower FWD or AWD automatic transmission car and prove themselves with that first.

I was fortunate to get a sporty V6 Mercury Cougar off of my older brother as my first car. But it was still just an auto transmission and FWD. I wanted an even sportier car at the time but I learned a lot from that car and still respected it. Then I eventually got my Eclipse GSX which is AWD and manual and this has taught me good shifting skills and how to handle power oversteer. So now I feel like I'm finally ready for a new rear wheel drive car after 10 years of driving and no accidents. I take driving very seriously but I still like to drive spiritedly. I think you can find a balance but it takes maturity and years of experience.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:55 PM   #229
jshadeck

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout 6MT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristecom View Post
If I had a kid, I would never let him/her get a powerful RWD car to start with. They need to start with a slower FWD or AWD automatic transmission car and prove themselves with that first.
I cant agree w u on that, my first car was a manual rx7, second car was a manual supra, third car was a manual supra turbo, fourth car was a manual supra turbo and so on... It really depends on the kid. By the time i was 18 i bought my first house (140k) and soon after i had 5 cars (the 3 supras from before, and then bought a 01 2.5rs coupe and then an svx) i still have never wrecked a car aside from one destruction derby and have paid my own car/insurance since day 1 👍
Old 05-21-2013, 08:12 PM   #230
Bristecom

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jshadeck View Post
I cant agree w u on that, my first car was a manual rx7, second car was a manual supra, third car was a manual supra turbo, fourth car was a manual supra turbo and so on... It really depends on the kid. By the time i was 18 i bought my first house (140k) and soon after i had 5 cars (the 3 supras from before, and then bought a 01 2.5rs coupe and then an svx) i still have never wrecked a car aside from one destruction derby and have paid my own car/insurance since day 1 👍
Yeah, I'm not saying it's impossible for someone to not wreck in those circumstances but there is so much more to learn if you start out with a powerful, manual transmission, rear wheel drive car so the likelihood of something going wrong is much higher - especially if there is no traction/stability control. But part of that depends on their maturity too. Still, generally I would recommend a slower FWD or AWD auto as a first car.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:21 PM   #231
carbonBLUE
Reverse Burnouts

Drives: 2013 Argento FRS
Thanked 1,257 Times in 592 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walla Walla View Post
when i was your age, i was driving a brand new Kia Rio... 200$ bucks a month (lease) with no cashdown... and guess what.. with that kind of car, you dont really get many speed tickets...

was it fun? nop

was it responsible? yep

and now... with the results of a series of good life choice, I have a job that is 3 times at least the minimum wage, I have a brz that i can afford, I have my home and I'm not even 30...

yeah.. i could have done the same as you when I was your age.... but I guess you will need to start seeing long term.. or you will realize one day youre juste as wreked as your fr-s...

that's my real advice... what you do with it is your choice
i had a auto corolla! WOOT lol

Quote:

I was fortunate to get a sporty V6 Mercury Cougar off of my older brother as my first car. But it was still just an auto transmission and FWD. I wanted an even sportier car at the time but I learned a lot from that car and still respected it. Then I eventually got my Eclipse GSX which is AWD and manual and this has taught me good shifting skills and how to handle power oversteer. So now I feel like I'm finally ready for a new rear wheel drive car after 10 years of driving and no accidents. I take driving very seriously but I still like to drive spiritedly. I think you can find a balance but it takes maturity and years of experience.
this statement is true for the 99%

im going to restore 2 cars with both of my kids, through experience of building a car and them learning to repect cars, not only for the fact that they are machines but also a safe haven for the mind and a necessity in today's life for working and getting things done. through that they will learn the responsibility of driving. Ill probably have them in parking lots learning to drive at 14 and by the time they are 16 they will be comfortable driving with everyone else instead of just shoving them in a driving class and putting them on the road in a few weeks

that is how i think children should be brought up to drive at least... if they want to hoon they can come to the track with me and drive the cars they built, if they break them they will know how to fix them, plain and simple.

2000 Carbon Blue Toyota Celica GTS 152000 miles
(wont forget you)
2013 Argento Scion FR-S
2011 Infiniti G37x
carbonBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:25 PM   #232
Zgrinch

Drives: 2013 Limited DGM BRZ
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Can't believe this thread is still going...cool

BRZGrincherhood
Zgrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:57 PM   #233
kchkwan

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I return to this thread everyday to educate myself in terms of ways to bash on stupid people
kchkwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:55 PM   #234
speedy07

Drives: 2015 Subaru Brz Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Well I just finished reading this whole thread.
Thank you for this magical journey it was hilarious! I will be back tomorrow to come laugh more. Btw GET A BIKE!
speedy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:58 PM   #235
n2oinferno
Praise Helix!

Drives: Accord 2.0T, Silverado
Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,072 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Oh good, I was afraid you wouldn't let them drive the twins.

OP, you're lucky your have your license. I had mine suspended for a year (IL law, three tickets in a 24 month period under age 21) back when I was much younger and stupider. That was a big wake up call for me, maybe this is yours.

Toyota finance generally will perform lease swaps if I remember correctly. It's a couple hundred bucks to process it, but it's an option. If you don't know anyone that wants the car, leasetrader.com or swapalease.com might be options. Do your parents still have that Camry? If so, you might want to take them up on that and get liability only. Otherwise find something used, cheap, and preferably disposable. I know, you're in college and want to look cool and keep your image, but trust me when I say that none of that actually matters at all.

Find and take a safe driving course and that might cut a bit off of your premiums as well, but your wallet is going to take a beating for a little while until all of this is off of your record.
n2oinferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:08 PM   #236
jtan1231

Drives: 2013 Scion fr-s
Garage
Stop driving and take the bus...
jtan1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:22 PM   #237
jskurucz
Yep!

Drives: 2015 WRX Sti
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtan1231 View Post
Stop driving and take the bus...
Someone needs to make a thread that allows us to vote on the funniest tag from this thread.
jskurucz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:26 PM   #238
Luis_GT
Banned

Drives: 2002 BMW 530i, 10 Series FR-S
Thanked 3,334 Times in 1,754 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Tell that to my dad... I drove around in a manual 2006 Mustang GT when I was 17... boy that was fun aside from the car being the biggest lemon ever... took it to the track a couple of time without him knowing too... lol

OP is probably the worst driver ever though... I've only had 3 tickets in 8 years of driving... 1 for tints, 1 for revving my mustangs engine (Missed a shift, stupidest ticket ever) and the recent one was driving 69 in a 55 zone...

I've also only had 2 accidents, one was partly my fault, the other I got rear ended...

That being said, age or hard work have no correlation with how responsible or how good a driver you are.
Luis_GT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
#yolo, accident, angry mob, asleep at the wheel, blame everyone else, brain damage, bumpercarswoohoo, cool story bro, crash, darwin award, derp, drift king, female?, fml, insurance, internet advice, its just been revoked, jesus take the wheel, just went full retard, lease, lol tags, oops i did it again, pending ragequit, public transportation, rain man is driving, rear enders, shameful, spoiled, spoiled egyptian, spongebob, teenage girl asian, trading frs for camel, trans ams, what is this i dont even, wreck, wreck it ralph, wreck like an egyptian, wrecking bicycles, wreckreation, wtf