follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 07-22-2021, 04:41 AM   #15
sygfrid
FT8Syg

Drives: `12 FRS & `17 BRZ Inazuma
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehorsw View Post
Less the front bumper, that I wasn’t able to remove all dirt (need a stronger remover, any recommendations?)
Have you tried the following decontamination steps? From my post in another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygfrid View Post
I've been using Meguiar's products over the years. However, there's recently been a huge step up from other brands especially from Turtle Wax's Hybrid Solutions line which are very easy to use.

Here's what I've done on mine & what they do:
Step 1. Adam's Strip Wash -for removing old waxes, sealants
Step 2. Fireball Ultimate Iron Burn - for removing iron deposits on paint
Step 3. Wash & clay to remove embedded surface contaminants
Step 4. Meguiar's DA Microfiber Correction Compound - for removing swirls & scratches
Step 5. Meguiar's Ultimate Polish - for removing marring from the compound, reconditioning the finish, & removing finer scratches
Step 6. IPA wipe down to remove polishing oils so that wax/sealants can stick better
Step 3. Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Spray Coating (2 coats)- gives that candy wrapper-like gloss & creates a slick surface that repels water fast
Step 4. Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Graphene Flex Wax (2 coats) - deeper gloss, creates a very slick surface that repels water easily. It takes so much longer time for dirt to build up because of the slickness (vs using Meguiars Ultimate Wax)

Modding for daily fun & efficiency: Gruppe-S UEL, HKS dual res. FP, STi Per. Muffler, Delicious T. Ecutek tune, Crawford BPB, Grimmspeed CAI, STi Flex T. Bar, TRD Door Stabilizer, DSS aluminum propeller shaft, Verus diffuser & underbody covers, Verus LCA, Perrin bushings, Bilstein B6+RCE Yellows, Michelin PS4S + 18" WedsSport TC105X-summer, Michelin Alpin PA4 +18" Motegi MR140-winter
sygfrid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sygfrid For This Useful Post:
Thefalls (07-26-2021)
Old 10-09-2021, 02:47 PM   #16
RickyBobby

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S AT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
On sale now at Amazon for $20.85. https://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Wax-53.../dp/B08P53V7KN
RickyBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 03:17 PM   #17
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,769 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Stick with the older version of seal and shine... otherwise fusso coat.
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 09:20 AM   #18
fryfun

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ DGM Limited
You are a hero. This thing is amazing even with my amateur skills.
fryfun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fryfun For This Useful Post:
Wally86 (12-23-2021)
Old 08-15-2022, 12:41 PM   #19
spcmafia

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Thanked 4,144 Times in 1,989 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
I want follow up on this pretty amazing product. I do want to note that the more I've been using it, the better the water bending properties have increased on my paint. I also want to note how much I recommend to use the liquid wax first, and then using the spray in every subsequent wash.

I recently used Adam's wax removal and re-did the sealant/wax layers. For this I went to the good ole' Harbor Freight, got myself a 6-inch rotary buffer, some Griots Garage Finishing Pads, and got on with it.

Same as usual; wash, clay bar, dry. Apply sealant (Meguiars Mirror Glaze). Wait 12 hours for the sealant to cure. Apply Turtle Wax Graphene Wax (Liquid), let it dry, remove with damp towel, reveal finish with dry micro fiber.

The glossiness and overall shine gets better the longer the paint is undisturbed after using the product. We're supposed to get some rain in the next couple of days so I'll have to report on results. Then the results after another wash and using just the spray.

RToyo86 (08-15-2022)
Old 08-15-2022, 12:57 PM   #20
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,210 Times in 1,129 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
I assume the polish compound serves as a primer for the sealant to lay on-top giving a extra boost to longevity.

I've been using carpro essence recently which works similarly with other carpro products in their lineup.
I had great results with essence and reload.
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RToyo86 For This Useful Post:
spcmafia (08-15-2022)
Old 08-15-2022, 01:09 PM   #21
spcmafia

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Thanked 4,144 Times in 1,989 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RToyo86 View Post
I assume the polish compound serves as a primer for the sealant to lay on-top giving a extra boost to longevity.

I've been using carpro essence recently which works similarly with other carpro products in their lineup.
I had great results with essence and reload.

The Sealant that I used is a synthetic one (21), I think there are others that contain a polisher too. Same with the T.W Graphene wax.

I've been curious to see what the result might be if I skip the sealant layer and use the 2-in-1 T.W Graphene.

I'll have to check it out. I started using Meguiars Gold Wash with their Ceramic wax before really getting into paint care. Now I use C.Gs Mr. Pink and T.W.

Also been interesting in AMMO products.
Old 08-15-2022, 01:21 PM   #22
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I bought a bottle of Turtle Wax Graphene Wax last month, and its OK. I don't think its as AMAZEBALLS as some reviewers are making it out to be, but its good.

Washed twice, clay bar (Adam's clay), and applied. It was very easy to apply, though the instructions tell you to use a damp towel to help remove it, followed up by a dry microfiber towel. This wax feels dry, more powdery, than my usual polish-heavy waxes like Meguiar's Ultimate Wax. It has a lot less polishing oils so it doesn't have the same depth. But the Turtle Wax graphene wax does have a lot of reflectivity and also the slickness feels interesting, like a dry slickness compared to how your usual wax feels. It does seem to have good hydrophobic and protection properties.

It's a good wax but doesn't blow the doors off my other waxes. I think Meguiar's waxes would work better if you were prepping for a car show; their waxes have more polishing oils which enhance the paint's depth.
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 01:27 PM   #23
Decep

Drives: 2013 FR-S Series 10
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I ran out of Griot's Ceramic 3 in 1 and decided to try the turtle wax hybrid ceramic whateverthe**** it's called.

This stuff sucks tbh. It's so much fussier to apply than the Griot's stuff.. if you overapply it it's a bitch to get off. Had to remove excess with some 30% alcohol solution. I can't speak anything to longevity or whatnot but Griot's is simply wipe on wipe off. Seems to just self level itself if you apply too much.

I would only get the TW stuff if you're on a budget.. it was like 13 bucks versus 25 bucks for the Griots.
Edelbrock Supercharger installed @ 50k
Decep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Decep For This Useful Post:
spcmafia (08-16-2022), Teseo (08-15-2022)
Old 08-15-2022, 04:09 PM   #24
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,210 Times in 1,129 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spcmafia View Post
The Sealant that I used is a synthetic one (21), I think there are others that contain a polisher too. Same with the T.W Graphene wax.

I've been curious to see what the result might be if I skip the sealant layer and use the 2-in-1 T.W Graphene.

I'll have to check it out. I started using Meguiars Gold Wash with their Ceramic wax before really getting into paint care. Now I use C.Gs Mr. Pink and T.W.

Also been interesting in AMMO products.
I've heard good things about Larry's ammo lineup. Just pricy, at the top end of what I've looked into buying.

It is hard to keep up these days, there are way too many good products out there between sealants/waxes, compound, polisher and pad technology advancing rapidly the past 10-15 years.

I've picked up a bunch of new gear, compounds and pads this past month but haven't had much chance to play with them yet.

I've had some time to play with carpro essence and it seems quite versitle as a jeweling polish that can also cut when needed if you use a heavier cut pad. Bonus of adding some of that quartz protection on-top of the paint in the process. I've done 3-4 cars with essence and reload now and they really pop in the sunlight.

Last edited by RToyo86; 08-15-2022 at 04:56 PM.
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RToyo86 For This Useful Post:
spcmafia (08-16-2022)
Old 08-15-2022, 05:01 PM   #25
RickyBobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decep View Post
I ran out of Griot's Ceramic 3 in 1 and decided to try the turtle wax hybrid ceramic whateverthe**** it's called.

This stuff sucks tbh. It's so much fussier to apply than the Griot's stuff.. if you overapply it it's a bitch to get off. Had to remove excess with some 30% alcohol solution. I can't speak anything to longevity or whatnot but Griot's is simply wipe on wipe off. Seems to just self level itself if you apply too much.

I would only get the TW stuff if you're on a budget.. it was like 13 bucks versus 25 bucks for the Griots.
Thanks for your review of Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Spray Coating which is ~$15. now for 16 ounces.
This thread though is about Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Pro Flex Graphene Wax, which is currently selling for $26. for 23 ounces of the spray version.

I'm lazy about washing and waxing my vehicles. I wash 'em and then wax 'em. No in between steps. I have been using Meguiar's carnuba wax for years but after watching this video thought I'd give this product a try:

This stuff is expensive but a little bit goes a long way. I found out that using too much causes streaking. A damp microfiber towel takes the streaks out, but then you still need to buff it with a dry microfiber towel.
The results were ok, nothing craptastic. It looked a tad better after curing for 12 hours.

The first coat was applied a few months ago. After washing, I applied another coat this week and it looks a bit better. I used less this time but still got some streaking.

I tried another application method on my 2014 silver Ford Escape. Before drying after washing I sprayed a small amount of wax directly onto each section of the car before I dried it with micofiber towels. Not sure how much of the wax stayed on the car but it looked good, and no streaking. This is the ultimate lazy man's way to wax a car.

Last edited by RickyBobby; 08-15-2022 at 05:19 PM.
Old 09-20-2022, 09:22 AM   #26
RickyBobby

Posted at https://slickdeals.net/f/16036591-tu...?src=frontpage
AutoZone has 16oz. Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Pro Flex Wax (53477) on clearance for $10 - Extra $5 Turtle Wax Receipt Rebate = $5.

Purchased the last one at my local AZ. It was the 23oz size, not 16oz.

Last edited by RickyBobby; 09-20-2022 at 03:34 PM.
Old 01-28-2023, 06:31 PM   #27
Snoopysvet

Drives: 2023 Wr Blue Pearl BRZ manual
I used it today on a three week old car. I did not claybar, washed it real good first. I was concerned to claybar as I have never done it before. It looks real good.
Old 01-30-2023, 06:52 AM   #28
Wally86
Be Kind

Drives: 2020 86
Thanked 1,254 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopysvet View Post
I used it today on a three week old car. I did not claybar, washed it real good first. I was concerned to claybar as I have never done it before. It looks real good.
Just make sure you have some type of wax/sealant/protectant to go on after you clay everything off.