follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 09-12-2022, 09:59 AM   #3977
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,046 Times in 8,323 Posts
Mentioned: 676 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
Well, sure. I'm suggesting you embrace the strugglers which won't give up. Give them names! They're great listeners, never talk back.
You might be able to smother them with newspaper. 5-6 sheets and it'll break down reasonably quickly. Not the prettiest but far less poisonous to things other than plants...or just keep rooting them up.
Getting a large area completely plant free is hard without poisoning water runoff pretty badly. And it won't last long. Seeds blow in, come in with birds and such... It's hard to know exactly what you're after but it might not be reasonable. Layer of newspaper topped with an inch of sand might do better... Sand is good under the artificial stuff f I remember right.
Huh newspaper? Didn’t know that. Thanks for the info
Old 09-12-2022, 10:07 AM   #3978
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
Anything that block the light really. Newspaper has the advantage of being biodegradable but the disadvantage of potentially rowing a nice crop of mold, mildew or fungi.
For the little bit you seem to be talking about I would just pull whatever comes up. Bit more work but only sure way to keep ahead of it.
ichitaka05 (09-12-2022)
Old 09-12-2022, 11:05 AM   #3979
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,400 Times in 6,129 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Cardboard works just as good/better. Basically the idea is to both reduce sunlight and rain while baking the plants underneath. Takes a few months.
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
ichitaka05 (09-12-2022)
Old 09-12-2022, 12:28 PM   #3980
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,254 Times in 7,347 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Garage
Anyone have any experience with 5G home internet? Exploring some options and less than thrilled with local service and contracts. I also may be looking at picking up a cell phone and T-Mobile and Verizon have 5G home in my area so I could bundle services and hopefully save some.
Old 09-12-2022, 12:43 PM   #3981
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,907 Times in 11,362 Posts
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
Anyone have any experience with 5G home internet? Exploring some options and less than thrilled with local service and contracts. I also may be looking at picking up a cell phone and T-Mobile and Verizon have 5G home in my area so I could bundle services and hopefully save some.
Not directly, but do have some indirect experience. The biggest issue is how many on your cell tower have it? It's a shared service so each added user reduces the bandwidth over time. You may think it is great at first, then it slowly degrades as neighbors here how good is for you.

Several of my coworkers use 4G Home Internet, and it's OK for most things but none of them are what I would call heavy users (gamers, etc). Primarily they use it for VPN services to work and streaming. Let's face it, basically it works like a phone hotspot, so if that works for you, this should work.

This is a decent article I read on it recently. I wouldn't usually go to Clark Howard and team for tech advice but this one sounds pretty well thought through.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (09-12-2022), soundman98 (09-12-2022), x808drifter (09-13-2022)
Old 09-12-2022, 01:21 PM   #3982
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Not directly, but do have some indirect experience. The biggest issue is how many on your cell tower have it? It's a shared service so each added user reduces the bandwidth over time. You may think it is great at first, then it slowly degrades as neighbors here how good is for you.

Several of my coworkers use 4G Home Internet, and it's OK for most things but none of them are what I would call heavy users (gamers, etc). Primarily they use it for VPN services to work and streaming. Let's face it, basically it works like a phone hotspot, so if that works for you, this should work.

This is a decent article I read on it recently. I wouldn't usually go to Clark Howard and team for tech advice but this one sounds pretty well thought through.

I am just looking for something for browsing the internet and streaming. I don’t game online anymore. Not a lot of people in my area. The entire county is less then 350k and the vast majority of that is in the 3 major cities 10-20 miles away. I know there are towers out my way and beyond to service up the canyon.

I had one of the old setups back in 06-07’ when I was working out of state all the time. I’m not sold on the 5g home, just not thrilled with my other options either. I’m considering just going without too.
Dadhawk (09-12-2022)
Old 09-12-2022, 02:01 PM   #3983
Stephen W.

Drives: 1993 Caterham HPC Evo
Thanked 2,407 Times in 954 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Don't know what's in your area but here where I am located there is basically only two types, fixed wireless from Xplornet or cell phone from Rogers or Bell. I have a 5G Samsung Note 20S on Rogers and use blue tooth to tether to my computers/tablets etc. I game on this setup but I don't think it's anywhere near what others get with their fiberoptic cable broadband.
My son-in-law has Elon Musk's Starlink system and says the internet connection is as good or better as the broadband high speed he had at their last house. He games alot more than I do. However Starlink is not available in my area yet.
Stephen W. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stephen W. For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (09-12-2022)
Old 09-12-2022, 02:13 PM   #3984
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,907 Times in 11,362 Posts
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
I am just looking for something for browsing the internet and streaming. I don’t game online anymore. Not a lot of people in my area. The entire county is less then 350k and the vast majority of that is in the 3 major cities 10-20 miles away. I know there are towers out my way and beyond to service up the canyon. .
You could always go with just using your phone. We do that in the car while traveling all the time and even with 4G have good results.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (09-12-2022)
Old 09-12-2022, 02:20 PM   #3985
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
You could always go with just using your phone. We do that in the car while traveling all the time and even with 4G have good results.
I was looking at just doing that too. I am on a unlimited data plan with my work phone but it throttles back the data heavily once I go over 25GB a month. Im looking at getting a personal cell phone anyway so just getting one and using it as a hot spot is something I was considering.
Dadhawk (09-12-2022)
Old 09-12-2022, 02:26 PM   #3986
spcmafia

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Thanked 4,132 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:

I believe T-Mobile is offering the 5G Internet service and Toms Hardware did an extended ownership review with very poor results. https://www.tomshardware.com/news/t-...rnet-customers
Dadhawk (09-12-2022), NoHaveMSG (09-12-2022)
Old 09-12-2022, 02:36 PM   #3987
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by spcmafia View Post
I believe T-Mobile is offering the 5G Internet service and Toms Hardware did an extended ownership review with very poor results. https://www.tomshardware.com/news/t-...rnet-customers
Ahhh thanks.

I think I am just going with Dadhawks suggestion of using a phone as a hot spot. I need a personnel phone again anyway so it will basically be just that for now and even the top level plans are less than local ISP's are charging per month.
Dadhawk (09-12-2022), spcmafia (09-12-2022)
Old 09-12-2022, 02:49 PM   #3988
spcmafia

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Thanked 4,132 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Ahhh thanks.

I think I am just going with Dadhawks suggestion of using a phone as a hot spot. I need a personnel phone again anyway so it will basically be just that for now and even the top level plans are less than local ISP's are charging per month.

Also, for example, our plan, we have the not so unlimited plan (25GB), and the unlimited hotspot, which is again, not so unlimited, first 15GB are at 4G LTE and then it throttles down.

I think Verizon sells, or used to sell personal hotspots with different plans.
Old 09-12-2022, 03:23 PM   #3989
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,046 Times in 8,323 Posts
Mentioned: 676 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
At the Toyota dealership for my Highlander 5k maintenance. Surprised to see no oil changed. They recommend every 10k… which I’m not comfortable w, so requested to get oil change too.

While I was waiting, I was hoping to see if they had GR Supra or GR86… but sadly they didn’t have any
Old 09-12-2022, 05:38 PM   #3990
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,925 Times in 1,712 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
As already noted, you do need to be careful about mold... I've used it under a topping of soil/compost/sand when installing a garden over grass. No mold issues there, really. Soak it out and it's probably OK if more exposed; it probably works best under something.

But I really do suspect a little elbow grease will be your best bet.
ichitaka05 (09-12-2022), Tcoat (09-12-2022)

Tags
have you turned it off/on, i heart my boxer, i still hate you all, kiss me, maple syrup, multipass, next one is a prequel, ow my balls, special_k abandoned you, the search for more money