follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-28-2022, 09:46 AM   #1
MichaelHu
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ
Location: Toronto
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Catless Front Pipe Install Made Car Sound Like Trumpet

Hi everyone,

First time posting here. I have a 2017 Subaru BRZ, and recently put on an Invidia catless front pipe. I have the Tomei UEL headers and an Invidia N1 catback on the car as well. When I floor the car now it sound a bit like a trumpet, and in my opinion it does not sound great and I want a different sound.

I am trying to find a solution to the "trumpety" sound, the volume is fine but I want to fix the quality of the exhaust note. Since the over pipe on my car is the only stock part of the exhaust and has the smallest diameter, could that be the part that's giving me the bad sound? Or should I look into a different catback system than the N1? Does anyone run similar setups and how was your experience with it?
Thanks in advance.
MichaelHu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 10:05 AM   #2
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,710
Thanks: 1,109
Thanked 1,628 Times in 963 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
1. Different from N1
2. Resonators are key. Look for front pipes and catbacks with nice fat resonators in them
__________________
Instagram: @gt86ws
StraightOuttaCanadaEh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to StraightOuttaCanadaEh For This Useful Post:
alphasaur (06-28-2022)
Old 06-28-2022, 10:13 AM   #3
MichaelHu
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ
Location: Toronto
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks for the response. So I guess the N1 is the main culprit for the trumpety sound hey? I do have one resonator in my entire system right now and that's on the N1's mid pipe, so yeah maybe I do need to switch the N1 altogether. The smaller diameter overpipe doesn't matter in this case then?
MichaelHu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 10:17 AM   #4
spcmafia
Senior Member
 
spcmafia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Location: Stonington, Connecticut
Posts: 2,471
Thanks: 1,163
Thanked 3,167 Times in 1,523 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelHu View Post
Hi everyone,

First time posting here. I have a 2017 Subaru BRZ, and recently put on an Invidia catless front pipe. I have the Tomei UEL headers and an Invidia N1 catback on the car as well. When I floor the car now it sound a bit like a trumpet, and in my opinion it does not sound great and I want a different sound.

I am trying to find a solution to the "trumpety" sound, the volume is fine but I want to fix the quality of the exhaust note. Since the over pipe on my car is the only stock part of the exhaust and has the smallest diameter, could that be the part that's giving me the bad sound? Or should I look into a different catback system than the N1? Does anyone run similar setups and how was your experience with it?
Thanks in advance.

That is because the N1 is one of least better sounding catback system when paired with everything being catless.

Get a resonated F.P or high flow cat. Switch to either HKS, Greddy, Borla, TRD, CSG, MXP catback systems.



In terms of sound the O.P does very little, in terms of performance, is only important when going F.I.
__________________
“God gave me an okay mind, but a really good ass, which can feel everything in a car.” Nikki Lauda
spcmafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 10:20 AM   #5
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,710
Thanks: 1,109
Thanked 1,628 Times in 963 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelHu View Post
Thanks for the response. So I guess the N1 is the main culprit for the trumpety sound hey? I do have one resonator in my entire system right now and that's on the N1's mid pipe, so yeah maybe I do need to switch the N1 altogether. The smaller diameter overpipe doesn't matter in this case then?
no, it'll just make it louder and increase rasp
__________________
Instagram: @gt86ws
StraightOuttaCanadaEh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 10:40 AM   #6
MichaelHu
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ
Location: Toronto
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Will do, gonna try to find one of those catbacks to switch onto then, will keep updated. Thanks!
MichaelHu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 11:07 AM   #7
alphasaur
friendly
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Drives: 17' 86
Location: Dutchess County, NY
Posts: 609
Thanks: 1,268
Thanked 392 Times in 238 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I REALLY like my HKS Spec L

I don't think I've heard an n1 that I like
__________________
Seek comfort in discomfort.
alphasaur is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to alphasaur For This Useful Post:
spcmafia (06-28-2022)
Old 06-28-2022, 11:10 AM   #8
MichaelHu
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ
Location: Toronto
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphasaur View Post
I REALLY like my HKS Spec L

I don't think I've heard an n1 that I like
Yeah I get you lol, I'm getting really sick of the drones and the sound too, I liked it at first because it was one of the deepest sounds but I don't like it anymore
MichaelHu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MichaelHu For This Useful Post:
alphasaur (06-28-2022)
Old 06-28-2022, 11:27 AM   #9
MichaelHu
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ
Location: Toronto
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spcmafia View Post
That is because the N1 is one of least better sounding catback system when paired with everything being catless.

Get a resonated F.P or high flow cat. Switch to either HKS, Greddy, Borla, TRD, CSG, MXP catback systems.



In terms of sound the O.P does very little, in terms of performance, is only important when going F.I.
Thanks for the suggestions, the Borla exhausts seems like they have no mufflers? I don't think I will go with that one. I am liking the looks of the GReddy RS-Race and MPX comp RS and they both seem like relatively affordable options.

Would you suggest either one of those options? Also, would you know which one would have the least drone?
MichaelHu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 12:18 PM   #10
spcmafia
Senior Member
 
spcmafia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Location: Stonington, Connecticut
Posts: 2,471
Thanks: 1,163
Thanked 3,167 Times in 1,523 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelHu View Post
Thanks for the suggestions, the Borla exhausts seems like they have no mufflers? I don't think I will go with that one. I am liking the looks of the GReddy RS-Race and MPX comp RS and they both seem like relatively affordable options.

Would you suggest either one of those options? Also, would you know which one would have the least drone?

Out of those two, Greddy RS and MXP, the Greddy would be less aggressive with a better note, probably pricier. The HKS Spec-L has a deeper note, sounds like a growl more than anything.

Something with a muffler would drone less, the quietest one out there that I know of is the Invidia Q300, but the packing wears out overtime. After those, would be the TRD/STi, Fujitsubo, Perrin.



Sound is also very relative. Best thing would be to find people with the same header as yours, and listen to their exhausts, Youtube is good but the dBs appreciation is not great.



One of the biggest components that will determine how loud your catback is your F.P, after your headers of course. Being cat-less on headers leaves everything to the F.P, so having a single, double resonator, would do wonders without affecting performance. Not that it really matters on NA applications.



You could switch back to OEM F.P and keep the N1 and see how you like it. Or get a single/double resonated F.P, or switch your catback. Cheapest option is to go back to stock on your F.P. If it still drones, improve your hangers to either JDM or ones like Perrin.
__________________
“God gave me an okay mind, but a really good ass, which can feel everything in a car.” Nikki Lauda
spcmafia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to spcmafia For This Useful Post:
alphasaur (06-28-2022)
Old 06-28-2022, 12:39 PM   #11
brandonblt2
The Stig's African Cousin
 
brandonblt2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Drives: 2014 wrb brz
Location: NJ
Posts: 699
Thanks: 1,486
Thanked 468 Times in 248 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelHu View Post
Hi everyone,

First time posting here. I have a 2017 Subaru BRZ, and recently put on an Invidia catless front pipe. I have the Tomei UEL headers and an Invidia N1 catback on the car as well. When I floor the car now it sound a bit like a trumpet, and in my opinion it does not sound great and I want a different sound.

I am trying to find a solution to the "trumpety" sound, the volume is fine but I want to fix the quality of the exhaust note. Since the over pipe on my car is the only stock part of the exhaust and has the smallest diameter, could that be the part that's giving me the bad sound? Or should I look into a different catback system than the N1? Does anyone run similar setups and how was your experience with it?
Thanks in advance.

Do you have a tune for your headers and the exhaust? If not I would get that first. A tune can change the way your car sounds especially if you're now catless.
__________________
Instagram: brandonblt2
Build Thread: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...86#post2219386
Flickr: brandonblt567
brandonblt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 12:44 PM   #12
MichaelHu
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ
Location: Toronto
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonblt2 View Post
Do you have a tune for your headers and the exhaust? If not I would get that first. A tune can change the way your car sounds especially if you're now catless.
Yes I do have OFT tune for the catless headers, got it tuned right after I put on the headers. I didn't mention it earlier because I didn't know it would affect it much haha.
MichaelHu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 12:49 PM   #13
EvilPenguin04
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Drives: 2015 BRZ 2004 SVT Cobra
Location: Inman SC
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Went with Borla on ours, it had a N1 knock off on it when we bought it highly recommend if you want quieter exhaust.
EvilPenguin04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 12:56 PM   #14
spcmafia
Senior Member
 
spcmafia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Location: Stonington, Connecticut
Posts: 2,471
Thanks: 1,163
Thanked 3,167 Times in 1,523 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelHu View Post
Yes I do have OFT tune for the catless headers, got it tuned right after I put on the headers. I didn't mention it earlier because I didn't know it would affect it much haha.

Tune does not affect sound very much if not at all, it does help with flow, hence it could feel like more pressure goes thru, but hardware components play the bigger part at the end of the day. The only sound it could change is the startup one from cold starts (slightly quieter). Or from having an obnoxious popz n bangz. Other than that, the tune helps the vehicle to make make the most power out of headers and not throw a CEL.
__________________
“God gave me an okay mind, but a really good ass, which can feel everything in a car.” Nikki Lauda
spcmafia is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Tags
exhaust, front pipe, overpipe, trumpet

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sound Clip of Catted UEL Header with Catless Front Pipe lc300 Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 1 03-21-2019 06:24 AM
Catted Front Pipe w/ Catless Header sound difference? HeresMyMind Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 6 09-19-2018 10:05 PM
Sound Clip Request: Catless UEL + Catted Front Pipe + Invidia N1 FR-S Matt Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 35 11-16-2015 06:27 AM
Any NY'ers install catless front pipe? ShoNUFF NY / NJ / CT / PA 19 01-04-2015 09:30 PM
Catless front pipe install? bdanisi Southern California 7 08-22-2013 09:26 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2022 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.