follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
BT, dpfarr

Old 06-06-2022, 08:25 AM   #4565
GPhilly

Drives: 2020 Subaru BRZ (Edelbrock SC)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallmeDave View Post
i’m not 100% sure but I think I remember reading people were putting 2017 alternators on their cars to get around that.
Yeah, I was reading through the posts earlier on in this thread. I found some custom solutions but after talking with CSG Mike, he said the newer kits should have accounted for this. I must have received an older model kit from CSG. I guess Ill wait and see what happens next.

Once I get this fixed I will post a review of install/SC.
GPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 05:37 PM   #4566
dpfarr

Drives: BRZ ts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
i’m not 100% sure but I think I remember reading people were putting 2017 alternators on their cars to get around that.
Newer produced blowers have a bit of machining done to account for that. I have an older ESC and did not fit on my 2020. I bought a used one and you know, buyer beware etc.

You cannot put a 13-17 alternator on. They have different amperage. I destroyed my harness put a heat shrink around it all and have hoped for the best.
dpfarr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 07:51 AM   #4567
GPhilly

Drives: 2020 Subaru BRZ (Edelbrock SC)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpfarr View Post
Newer produced blowers have a bit of machining done to account for that. I have an older ESC and did not fit on my 2020. I bought a used one and you know, buyer beware etc.

You cannot put a 13-17 alternator on. They have different amperage. I destroyed my harness put a heat shrink around it all and have hoped for the best.
Wow, that's crazy. Hopefully your kit keeps holding on.

I got advice from Mike and CSG and they said I need to lift the SC manifold and slide the clip into place. Its a tight fit but once the connector clicks in the wire should be able to bend and clear the manifold. I'm going to do it tonight, and hopefully get the car running!

So excited yet nervous because certain critical steps took me a while to get right (MAF sensor, SC manifold gasket). Just hoping for no codes
GPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 12:17 PM   #4568
FrickingReallySlow

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPhilly View Post
Wow, that's crazy. Hopefully your kit keeps holding on.

I got advice from Mike and CSG and they said I need to lift the SC manifold and slide the clip into place. Its a tight fit but once the connector clicks in the wire should be able to bend and clear the manifold. I'm going to do it tonight, and hopefully get the car running!

So excited yet nervous because certain critical steps took me a while to get right (MAF sensor, SC manifold gasket). Just hoping for no codes
There's a few posts in this entire thread with pics about clocking the alternator connector in your same situation, you can ping them to find out how they did it
FrickingReallySlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 12:22 PM   #4569
FrickingReallySlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by B T View Post
For anyone who wants a Remote MAP adapter, CSG put in an order, so give them a call.
Finally got B_T's remote map installed, its an awesome thing he did for the community. Posting my 2nd gear pull to illustrate MAP performance

https://datazap.me/u/s0007/2nd-gear-...zoom=1450-2399

D-Box MAP performance

https://datazap.me/u/s0007/2nd-gear-...&zoom=685-1147

Also did a comparison at idle between Edelbrock MAP harness vs Remote MAP there was only about ~2 inHg difference in vacuum. I'm feeding my from the back of the SC and using a P3Gauge to monitor boost from the ECU (so no need for analog gauge that requires a Tee)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FrickingReallySlow For This Useful Post:
B T (06-08-2022), BAT_BRZ (06-07-2022)
Old 06-08-2022, 09:18 AM   #4570
B T

Drives: 15 BRZ, 2003 MR2, '70 Elky, 06 TBSS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
considering making just a blockoff plate so the RMAP can be mounted closer to the pressure source as well. Any thoughts or suggestions?
B T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 01:10 PM   #4571
Colin86

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
So what type/weight oil are you guys using?
Ive been using subaru brand 0w-20 but Im looking for something else.
I use 5w-30 both on and off track, car isn't driven in winter. I have the jackson racing rad with integrated oil/water cooler and it gets up to temp quickly on the street and on track oil temp stays under 240f. Car is on e85 dyno'd at 330whp, drive in advanced group.

5w-30 is listed as an optional weight in the manual last I recall, felt more comfortable with the thicker weight on track.
Colin86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 05:50 PM   #4572
BAT_BRZ

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ "sti"
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Mid install with the SC - and was looking into what else to replace while I am waiting for a part arrive (New direct injector). Right now I am considering replacing the coil packs and spark plugs.

Car is at 80k miles.
MY2013

Only 1 coil failed me at ~50k miles.
I replaced all spark plugs at that time.

Looking at options here - most consider the stock plugs to be OK for the SC application. Stock coil packs slightly worry me with the history I have had and others. Any good recommendations?

Also looking into a oil catch can but may run without it just to see how the car runs first.
BAT_BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 07:56 PM   #4573
FunnyGopher

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAT_BRZ View Post
Mid install with the SC - and was looking into what else to replace while I am waiting for a part arrive (New direct injector). Right now I am considering replacing the coil packs and spark plugs.

Car is at 80k miles.
MY2013

Only 1 coil failed me at ~50k miles.
I replaced all spark plugs at that time.

Looking at options here - most consider the stock plugs to be OK for the SC application. Stock coil packs slightly worry me with the history I have had and others. Any good recommendations?

Also looking into a oil catch can but may run without it just to see how the car runs first.
I too just recently SC'd my car at 80k miles, only I have a 2015 with the upgraded factory coils, so I can't speak for the 2013's.

According to CSG's "daily driven/spiritedly driven" maintenance schedule, the plugs and coils should be replaced every 60k. From all the information I've read about, the OEM spark plugs and coils are the way to go. Aftermarket coils don't last as long and the benefit is either not there, or not worth the shorter life for a street car.

For the catch can, I don't think you'll notice a difference with or without one from a power perspective, however it's definitely a long term wear and tear mitigation item to keep oil buildup out of your intake and off your valves. I've heard this is more so important for boosted applications. Not a killer if you don't get it immediately, but definitely an item to look into for longevity.
Harrop Supercharger | Delicious Tuning Flex Fuel Kit | ACE Type-A 350 Header + OP | CSG Touring 86 Catback | RacerX Fabrication Catch Can | Jackson Racing Dual Radiator/Oil Cooler | Tuned by Zach from CSG
FunnyGopher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FunnyGopher For This Useful Post:
BAT_BRZ (06-09-2022)
Old 06-11-2022, 01:26 PM   #4574
FrickingReallySlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by B T View Post
considering making just a blockoff plate so the RMAP can be mounted closer to the pressure source as well. Any thoughts or suggestions?
That would be cool, I'm thinking if a cheaper knockoff MAP sensor that has the right dimensions would be easier than making a block off plate with a plug. Even a broken MAP sensor would work as long as it matches the edelbrock supplied one.

has your tuner said if making the tube shorter would help the tuning/response?
Old 06-12-2022, 06:12 PM   #4575
B T

Drives: 15 BRZ, 2003 MR2, '70 Elky, 06 TBSS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrickingReallySlow View Post
Has your tuner said if making the tube shorter would help the tuning/response?
I haven't asked but I work in industrial controls. I'm sure a shorter distance would be beneficial. I was just trying to produce a one piece design that took care of the plug and remote MAP location at the same time.
B T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 06:10 PM   #4576
ABQautoxer

Drives: 2021 Supra / 2022 Tundra
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
For those that autox their setup, any issues on the stock system? I'm selling my autox car I used for PCA and SCCA so the Edlebrock FRS will be my new PCA autox car and the GR86 for SCCA. Just curious if I can use the stock cooling system for a few events.
Old 06-13-2022, 06:57 PM   #4577
JoeS

Drives: 2016 BRZ Hyper.Blue
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQautoxer View Post
For those that autox their setup, any issues on the stock system? I'm selling my autox car I used for PCA and SCCA so the Edlebrock FRS will be my new PCA autox car and the GR86 for SCCA. Just curious if I can use the stock cooling system for a few events.
I run 12 plus events a year without issue. The only cooling add-on I have is an oil cooler. With the short run times of autocross, I really don't think that makes a difference. The worst thing about the supercharger and autocross is the class it puts you in. I currently run XA but used to run SM.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
JoeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 09:04 PM   #4578
ABQautoxer

Drives: 2021 Supra / 2022 Tundra
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeS View Post
I run 12 plus events a year without issue. The only cooling add-on I have is an oil cooler. With the short run times of autocross, I really don't think that makes a difference. The worst thing about the supercharger and autocross is the class it puts you in. I currently run XA but used to run SM.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Thanks glad to hear that! Since its PCA, it's just raw time.