follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 12-28-2014, 01:12 AM   #15
BlaineWasHere
Grip>Drift

Drives: FRS
Thanked 1,749 Times in 918 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie View Post
No, you won't especially with RS3's. It is very well documented that street tires should be matched with rim width very tightly. A 7" wheel will be fastest with a 215 or 225 section width.
Then why do I see tons of people at autoX cramming a 235 or 245 into a 7" wheel? Not just on the twins either.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:19 AM   #16
bimmer635csi

Drives: 2013 Cayenne turbo
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
No, you won't especially with RS3's. It is very well documented that street tires should be matched with rim width very tightly. A 7" wheel will be fastest with a 215 or 225 section width.
It is also well documented HERE that more tire is almost universally better. Do you have a reference like this so that I can read the article?
Old 12-29-2014, 10:15 AM   #17
frssfo

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEmailman View Post
when I go to TireRack or Discount Tire, I do not see any being sold in size 225/45/17. I
Thanks for starting this thread! I spent yesterday evening on the same unicorn hunt and didn't find any either. If you do manage to source some 225/45/17 RS3s then please share where you got them.
frssfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 07:32 PM   #18
Robbie
In the slipstream

Drives: BRZ
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaineWasHere View Post
Then why do I see tons of people at autoX cramming a 235 or 245 into a 7" wheel? Not just on the twins either.
Hoosiers, yes. Street tires, no.

Other reason would be they're new and/or uninformed.
Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 07:33 PM   #19
Robbie
In the slipstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer635csi View Post
It is also well documented HERE that more tire is almost universally better. Do you have a reference like this so that I can read the article?
Grassroots Motorsports tire test articles. Or talk to any national level driver in your region.

Last edited by Robbie; 12-29-2014 at 07:49 PM.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:45 PM   #20
Robbie
In the slipstream

https://m.facebook.com/notes/hollis-...5008598916447/

There's a link giving you a good sizing guide from Andy Hollis; the man who does most of the grassroots tire tests and a multiple time national champion in many different classes.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:54 PM   #21
Biggins

Drives: Yes
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Hoosiers, yes. Street tires, no.

Other reason would be they're new and/or uninformed.
Um, no.

Zero of the fastest CS drivers at Nats had anything less than 225s. Most of us were on at least 235s. You clearly haven't tried any of the new street tires from the past few years. I'd only consider 215s for maybe the toyos or Bridgestones.
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 08:18 PM   #22
feldy

Drives: 2013 FRS Asphalt
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Call tire rack you noobs. I got some of the first v2s this year and I had to call. They were not listed. Just call!!!!!!
Old 12-29-2014, 09:56 PM   #23
bimmer635csi

Drives: 2013 Cayenne turbo
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Grassroots Motorsports tire test articles. Or talk to any national level driver in your region.
LOL, the national level driver in my region runs 245s on his car.

I'll look at the Grassroots Motorsports articles if I can find them. But they may focus on "all racing", not just autocross.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:02 AM   #24
Robbie
In the slipstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer635csi View Post
LOL, the national level driver in my region runs 245s on his car.

I'll look at the Grassroots Motorsports articles if I can find them. But they may focus on "all racing", not just autocross.
Most of them are autocross based. Only a few have been track tests.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:29 AM   #25
frssfo

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by feldy View Post
Call tire rack you noobs. I got some of the first v2s this year and I had to call. They were not listed. Just call!!!!!!
So I called Tire Rack.

Tire Rack don't have any 225/45R17 RS3 tires in stock at the moment, but they are taking pre-orders for when they get another batch. They remove the tire size from the site when they don't have a good sense of when that tire will come back in stock and will re-add that tire size to the catalogue once Hankook has confirmed that the tire is being manufactured.

It is possible to get put on a "call ahead" list for a particular tire, so that when it is going to come back in stock you will receive a call for the opportunity to order some, which I think is great customer service from TR.

It appears Hankook tool up for a limited number of tires in a production run size and then move onto other sizes. They will make another batch when they see enough demand. One way to increase the production run quantity may be to place pre-orders on the tires to demonstrate that they are in demand. I'll try and find a more concrete answer to that theory and respond back in this thread if I am able to do so.
frssfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 05:36 PM   #26
THEmailman

Drives: Raven 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by frssfo View Post
So I called Tire Rack.

Tire Rack don't have any 225/45R17 RS3 tires in stock at the moment, but they are taking pre-orders for when they get another batch. They remove the tire size from the site when they don't have a good sense of when that tire will come back in stock and will re-add that tire size to the catalogue once Hankook has confirmed that the tire is being manufactured.

It is possible to get put on a "call ahead" list for a particular tire, so that when it is going to come back in stock you will receive a call for the opportunity to order some, which I think is great customer service from TR.

It appears Hankook tool up for a limited number of tires in a production run size and then move onto other sizes. They will make another batch when they see enough demand. One way to increase the production run quantity may be to place pre-orders on the tires to demonstrate that they are in demand. I'll try and find a more concrete answer to that theory and respond back in this thread if I am able to do so.
Meant to post....called them too and was told they expect to have them back in stock by the end of February. ....unfortunate, since i need tires before i start the track season.
Goodridge SS brake lines//ProjectMu 999's//Motul DOT 5.1 brake fluid//GrimmSpeed master cylinder brace//Jackson Racing Oil Cooler//Whiteline camber bolts//Raceseng CamCas plates//Kosei K4R 17x8//BFGoodrich Rivals 225/45

THEmailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 01:06 PM   #27
simpleisbest
Senior Citizen

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
https://m.facebook.com/notes/hollis-...5008598916447/

There's a link giving you a good sizing guide from Andy Hollis; the man who does most of the grassroots tire tests and a multiple time national champion in many different classes.
Most of that testing was done on an ST Civic, correct? If we are talking about whether or to over-tire is faster in STREET (ex-Stock) Class, then yeah its overall faster once you make it work. For strut cars with limited camber, I would recommend using a tire with a stiffer side wall.

If you are able to stretch or fully square up the tire and get more camber with the allowances in STX for example, then a narrower tire could be faster depending on brand/model and suspension set up.
simpleisbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 09:32 PM   #28
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Garage
A 245 will be faster on a 9" wheel than on a 7" wheel, but chances are that with most good tires a 245 will be faster on a 7" wheel than a 215 will be on a 7" wheel.

You do lose feel though, and the wider you're going on a narrower wheel, the stiffer you'll want the sidewalls to be.