follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 06-30-2013, 11:25 PM   #127
RYU

Drives: really slow...
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I was on the stock setup for 3k miles. Then RCE Yellow on OEM dampers (~9k miles). Eibach Multi-Pro R1s (~250 miles) and now RS*Rs Sports-i. I also have about 35 miles (test drive) on a windy/bumpy road with the KW V3s. Thanks to my mate for letting me borrow his car with them.

In terms of comfort I would rate the RCE Yellows on the OEM dampers BETTER than the Multi-Pros R1s and the KW V3s but the V3s had better damping but much too firm for me (hope that makes sense). However, the RCE Yellows on OEM dampers couldn't handle big bumps (high speed compression) very well. The R1s and the KWs are probably better for a track guy who understands bump/compression settings and has the patience to dial them in. They are also noisy with the Eibach's being the noisiest. I prefer the RCEs over these two coilovers.

The RS*Rs are a more sophisticated set. The adjustment range was good. I think they did a good job finding the crossover point between bump and rebound and fixed it in one easy to access adjustment knob. I wouldn't say they are an all out track ready setup. They weren't designed to be because they were designed to be a true "Sports" suspension imo. They're more comfortable than stock in most cases but on big bumps the stock suspension was slightly better able to absorb due to the added shock travel. The 86 has ridiculously short shocks and really short suspension arms. You need a well tuned damper to be used because the car is quite sensitive.

I don't want to get into the technical details but let me suffice to say.. the RS*Rs were the best I could find for the price. Every other damper in that price range is no comparison if you're looking for a quiet (don't take this for granted!!!), sophisticated, sport damper. If you're going to be at the track say more than 50% of the time.. get something else.

Think of this way... it's like getting a BMW "M" upgrade option when you get these dampers. The M3 isn't a serious track car but achieves a great balance between street and track.

good luck

Last edited by RYU; 06-30-2013 at 11:43 PM.
RYU is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RYU For This Useful Post:
Moto-P (11-27-2013), OICU812 (07-01-2013), ultra (07-04-2013)
Old 07-04-2013, 03:38 AM   #128
OICU812
Just a dude

Drives: Scion FR-S 2013
Thanked 1,188 Times in 852 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Been looking at pics and doing some more reading on these. Can someone please explain the adjustability of the RSRi? I see the fronts have a soft/firm knob but thats all I see and can find out...

thank you
Old 07-04-2013, 03:40 AM   #129
OICU812
Just a dude

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RYU View Post

I don't want to get into the technical details but let me suffice to say.. the RS*Rs were the best I could find for the price. Every other damper in that price range is no comparison if you're looking for a quiet (don't take this for granted!!!), sophisticated, sport damper. If you're going to be at the track say more than 50% of the time.. get something else.
As far as your comment about "quiet" are you saying there is some noises to be expected running these RSRis??
Old 07-04-2013, 08:36 AM   #130
Enraged21
#RememberTheBuster

Drives: Firestorm FRS MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Anybody have a review on the black-i system?
Enraged21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:21 PM   #131
ultra
Curious cat.

Drives: 86 GT base M/T - Red
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Mine are the Moto-P spec units with rubber top mounts and not pillow balls.

6 months on them so far and no noises.

They're a lot like a 'Type RR' or '///M' setup vs stock. Feels very much like a tuned-from-the-factory, OEM 'plus' style set up in terms of street/track capability. They don't like extremely rough pavement very much but neither does the stock car. Most bumps and undulations get soaked up as well as stock without unsettling the car. On most road surfaces I've been on other than construction sites they ride great - well behaved enough that you completely forget they're there.

Handling balance on the stock out-of-the-box RS*R damper settings with a good alignment is superb on the track and a huge step up from the stock units. Neutral, understeer or oversteer - biased cornering balance is entirely and completely up to the driver. The chassis responds very crisply and purposefully to steering inputs and the car corners very flat while still letting you transfer the car's weight around all 4 corners of the car very intuitively. Nice blend of composure vs. agility.

In short they're well worth the money IMHO. Excellent street/track shock. Near OEM ride quality, better versatility and all around performance than the bargain basement coilovers out there and simpler to set up than double adjustable units without giving up too much in terms of ultimate performance.

I like to think of them as a sort of 'poor man"s Ohlins'. If I were competing for trophies I'd get some Tarmac IIs or KW V3s (or Ohlins) but I'm not, so I'm very happy with these.
2007 Mitsubishi Evo 9 RS (sold)
2006 VW Golf R32 (sold)

Last edited by ultra; 07-04-2013 at 02:34 PM.
ultra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ultra For This Useful Post:
Marrk (07-04-2013), Moto-P (11-27-2013), OICU812 (07-11-2013), RYU (07-04-2013), whataboutbob (07-08-2013)
Old 07-04-2013, 03:08 PM   #132
RYU

Drives: really slow...
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
I meant more noises with other coilovers. I experience no noise at all with the sports-i. The usage of rubber vs harder compounds was done for a specific purpose and it shows.

I agree with everything ultra wrote except about the KWs. I think the sports-I are better tuned for a 86 haha

If there was anything I'd ask for is to perhaps add more rebound damping in the softer setting on the sports-I
RYU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:37 PM   #133
oso_25
OH HEY NOW!!!!

Drives: 2013 Scion Fr-s Asphalt
Garage
I seen a picture awhile ago that r*sr is making springs for the car? Any word on those and when they will be coming out?
oso_25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:01 PM   #134
OICU812
Just a dude

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by oso_25 View Post
I seen a picture awhile ago that r*sr is making springs for the car? Any word on those and when they will be coming out?
Frs86 dot com...

They just posted em on their FB page actually...
Old 07-07-2013, 05:38 PM   #135
oso_25
OH HEY NOW!!!!

Drives: 2013 Scion Fr-s Asphalt
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Frs86 dot com...

They just posted em on their FB page actually...
yea but no update on the site or price :/
oso_25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:50 AM   #136
OICU812
Just a dude

Garage
If someone knows an email or number to contact rsr please pm me or post. I went to their site well...nothing.?

Thanks
Old 07-10-2013, 04:00 PM   #137
suprajosh

Drives: light, fast
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
info@rs-r.com
suprajosh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suprajosh For This Useful Post:
OICU812 (07-11-2013)
Old 08-23-2013, 03:32 AM   #138
OICU812
Just a dude

Garage
So how are guys adjusting from camber past -2 on front with these coils?, changing the top plates to a Vorschlagg or similar???
Old 11-06-2014, 12:23 AM   #139
aaguilar3

Drives: 2013 Scion Fr-s
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-P View Post
Today, following last Friday's Cusco parts install, my FRS went into the facility of RS*R USA to fit my other purchase, the Sports-i suspension system.

This unit is a variant of the not so well-known RS*R i-Shock, specifically designed for the FRS/BRZ/86.

After a few days of hard, all out track, autocross, and casual canyon drive, as well as driving through downtown Las Vegas last month in the Pre-Production Final Product spec, and also through 8 days of various city traffic and highways in my own 9 day old FRS. I have had plenty of time in the original setup, born of Mr.Tada and his team, of the original suspension.

While I am pretty fond of the FRS's OEM suspension, I asked RSR, my long-time source for the nicest Japanese made custom made suspension firm, to see if they had something I can purchase. A bit of waiting, the president of RS*R, Mr.K.Terai, brought over personally from Japan, a set of customized FRS set.

For those who don't know much about RS-R's i-Shock line, the suspension system can be ordered with custom valving, spring sets, piston lengths, and from a database they have of vehicle specific applications. Their standard product is tailored to your needs, if specified, and if not, they come in RS*R's own well-tested setup. It's a bit more expensive than most of your generic coil-over systems, but it features the patented monotube design with billet alloy parts, along with RSR's patented internal valve. This all translated to increased piston travel over the more common twin tube internals, and adjust-ability range that is quite useful on many street cars, that see track use often.

Because of the mono-tube RSR design, the dampers' initial rate of compression is quick, yet very even through further loads. And what this translates to is the ability to have lower overall damper setting, without sacrificing effectiveness of the full motion damping rate. The damping rate is very uniform, and therefore stiffer springs can be combined but still allow for very compliant ride due to shocks not needing to be very high on compression damping or rebound valving.

One of the constraints for the FRS's original suspension is the costs prohibiting such exotic and expensive damper units. Though the FRS exhibits fine driving attitudes on both road and track, and much more refined than any previous Toyota perhaps, it isn't a $50,000 car either, and can't be equipped with things like this out of the box. High-end cars like the Porsche 911 and many exotics do use similar advanced valve mono-tubes, and for the FRS, I chose to see if RSR can better the already superb but cost-limited production twin-tube FRS setup it came with.

A Japanese mechanic, nicknamed "Steve" Shinichi Yamazaki from RSR-Japan who happened to be in town for Formula D, took great care in installation for me today. Starting with corner weighting, marking alignments, and even weighing me (the driver) to install and carefully adjust the suspension to 32mm drop at front and 28mm at rear. From a previous talk I had with CE, Tada of Toyota, his recommendation for suspension lowering of -20mm+/-15mm for dynamic alignment of the arms, I went on the lower height end of the spectrum just for kicks.

One of my small (tiny) complaint about the FRS was its jittery, easily upset, balance of the car by Los Angeles' rough, less ideal pavement gaps and fillers, which tended to take your steering a bit more than I liked... (Tuned very aggressively for the track, the lower cost factory unit could not cover for both scenarios too perfectly I guess? as OEM is really perfect for the track, amazingly enough for a production car from Toyota)

The RSR's Sport-i, despite the higher spring rate, actually proved to be more compliant for the streets, due to the much more sophisticated damper valves. The car instantly became as comfortable and composed as many, and more expensive European car, and all the precise motions of the car seemed to be intact. I haven't had a chance to put it to the test on the raceway just yet, but with added capability of spring tuning, and fairly useful and wide range of damper settings, I can almost feel that the Sport-i will prove to be just as fun on the track, given I know what the heck I shall be doing. (I have a rough idea but it's not easy to improve on the performance end of the FRS as it came) But at least for now it seems the jitter and tracking of faily stiff city ride OEM damper is now calmed with the expensive damper which the $25,000 MSRP car, originally could not be equipped.

Here's some photos of the install, and I will write more when I get a bit more time behind this on the raceway and other venues or conditions. So far so EXCELLENT. You get what you pay for at RSR.

Now I need to look for some 18" wheels and tires as recommended for this application by TRD and RSR.

Corner Weight Scale by Moto@Club4AG, on Flickr

Untitled by Moto@Club4AG, on Flickr

RS*R Sports-i for Scion FRS/Subaru BRZ by Moto@Club4AG, on Flickr

Corner Weight Scale master display by Moto@Club4AG, on Flickr

Oppps, I forgot to take a photo of how the car looks with this chosen height! I'll add that later this evening.
Hello!

I've seen a couple of your posts and you seem to be very knowledgeable. Was wondering if you could help me with a suspension question. I have the trd lowering springs currently installed and notice they are a bit of a harsher ride than stock. Been looking at options to give me a better ride comfort wise whole staying around the same height or maybe slightly lower. I looked at ST coilovers today and found a great price. I understand they are made by kw. Would these be a good alternative? I also looked at keeping the trd springs and getting koni yellow struts/shocks. Any opinion on this setup? Just an fyi. My car is a daily driver and gets quite a bit of spirited driving. I currently run a 17x8 wheel +35 with the stock tire. Will upgrade to medium grip tire later when these run out. I appreciate any advice. @Moto-P
Old 12-10-2014, 12:56 AM   #140
Mikeez
Engineering Student

Drives: Scion FR-S 2015
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
They can provide the damper rate sheets from tests if you need them, but does not come with this in the instruction set. They are QC'ed carefully however, and I have not had one unbalanced or malfunction yet, with only service being hairline cracks in the rubber top bushings after 15,000 miles on my LS430 set, that was easily replaceable.

My FRS set is set up with the 6kg/mm F and 7kg/mm rear, standard spec valve, and range adjustments, with rubber bushings rather than ball joints at the top.
Quote:
1. Single adjustable, but they do custom design each application to the cars, so the balance of how they change in relation to the requirements are pretty spot-on in my previous 4 sets I used on each car.

2. RS-R manufactures and designs the case, piston, valves and all hardware components in-house, and I've visited the manufacturing facilities near Osaka, Japan, so I trust them that much.

3. These are aircraft grade aluminum shell cases and ends, (I forgot that the actual T rating of the alloy). For the FRS set, the suspension coil and shock assembly with mounts, weighed 3lbs less than OEM parts removed to replace (total of all four ends). While the OEM's weight is mainly in the large coil springs, the majority of weight on the RSR Sports-i is in the case shell and valve/piston which seems much more strong than OE internals and shell case.

4. Due to the very long lower arms and steering rack pivots as well as toe-locator rods, the FRS needed minimal correction of 0.4 mm at both ends of the rack-ends, to bring the toe back to where it was originally with OE height, this, at 32mm drop. I'd need to re-check after a few dozen miles to see if any settling of bushings or springs caused any changes, but that's what I see at this time, 1 day after installation.

Yes, I am in Los Angeles/South Bay area and hope to meet you soon for a cup of coffee or snacks~!

The sports-I are 3 pounds less than OEM overall?