follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Southern California

Southern California SoCal

User Tag List

Old 12-11-2014, 02:23 AM   #15
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatalelement View Post
Also worth noting - though you can make a million arguments as to why this is stupid (it is), axle-back exhausts are, AFAIK, considered "emissions-sensitive" parts by the CARB and as such replacing or modifying them with any non-CARB exempt piece is by definition an equipment violation.
This is so untrue and full of false information.

Any cat-back exhaust is legal to install as long as it meets sound limits in California.

Emissions equipment is, broadly speaking, restricted to all things between the intake of the engine system and the end of the catalytic converter. Any part(s) that modify any portion of this (including ECU/electronics) would require CARB-exemption.

Catback exhausts do not fall under emissions regulations.

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 02:34 AM   #16
swarb

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,271 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
^ya, no such thing as a carb exempt catback. but it is illegal to modify muffler for the purpose of noise/sound. which is up to interpretation of the cop.
swarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 05:56 PM   #17
fatalelement

Drives: 2015 FR-S (Halo)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by swarb View Post
^ya, no such thing as a carb exempt catback. but it is illegal to modify muffler for the purpose of noise/sound. which is up to interpretation of the cop.
fair enough I was clearly hilariously misinformed. I was misremembering the USARB regulations, which technically allow fines for any modification of OEM equipment including exhausts, but apparently they really don't care or enforce.

The statute for modification (http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/di...le=27150-27159) prohibits modification for the purpose of noise/sound if it exceeds the noise limits. So as long as it's under 95 modification is OK.

Still, at least in LA most of the exhausts you see on S2Ks and Integras and such are definitely straight pipes or the mufflers are barely keeping it from being a straight pipe. Cop's just making an educated guess. For a fix-it, if you drop by CHP rather than a normal referee station from what I hear they do it for free, but double check to be sure. CHP isn't the world's friendliest highway patrol, just try and always keep off the throttle when you pass them or LAPD, they love to bust people when the mood is right haha.
fatalelement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 12:08 AM   #18
N1rve

Drives: 2019 BMW ///M4
Thanked 1,167 Times in 714 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosahorn View Post
I have the "5 mufflers. I'll get the dB checked and let you know what happened.
Wow 5 inch mufflers and they still got you?

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
N1rve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 06:16 PM   #19
Churg

Drives: 2014 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I've been a little worried about my exhaust setup, because it's really damn loud and I daily my car, but no problems yet. JDL Catless UEL, Nameless OP/FP High Flow Cat, Stock Midpipe, Nameless 5" Muffled Track pipe. It's really really loud, but I shift around 3k to avoid the attention.
Churg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 06:19 PM   #20
Vic
63 Auto Body

Drives: 2013 SCION FR-S WHITEOUT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Churg View Post
I've been a little worried about my exhaust setup, because it's really damn loud and I daily my car, but no problems yet. JDL Catless UEL, Nameless OP/FP High Flow Cat, Stock Midpipe, Nameless 5" Muffled Track pipe. It's really really loud, but I shift around 3k to avoid the attention.
mine is loud and whenever I see a cop, I always clutch in and roll in neutral so my exhaust sounds not existent. LOL
Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vic For This Useful Post:
fatalelement (12-20-2014)