follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 12-22-2013, 10:40 AM   #15
AznBRZer

Drives: 16 CBS WRX Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelvinBRZ View Post
Wow you have really bad luck.. first the screwdriver break in and now this.

Hopefully you won't have to pay a dime through insurance..
You forgot about the hit'n run on my rear bumper a month later and a big door ding a few days after that!

On the brightside, there was no running away from this accident, so nothing's coming out of my pocket this time.

But yeah, I have a ton of bad luck when it comes to cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZfan View Post
I get it! As you have alluded to, many drivers are not totally responsible.
It therefore behooves one to be more vigilant and be "defensive drivers'. Some of it is just plain experience. I suggest that one drive like they are in a combat zone: Be vigilant, smart, cautious, always on alert. Of course many drivers don't know what I am talking about, i.e. combat zone.

This applies to the OP in his parking discipline/method.

As to "loud pipes saves save lives" this is no guarantee, in fact, not the best way to drive/ride DEFENSIVELY.
I'm confused. Are you saying that I should be more vigilant?

Last edited by AznBRZer; 12-22-2013 at 11:03 AM.
AznBRZer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 10:56 AM   #16
whaap

Drives: '13 FR-S firestorm, 6 mt - '11 CR-V
Thanked 1,387 Times in 657 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
It might be appropriate to repeat something we used to teach in the MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) basic riding course. SIPDE!

S - Scan for possible threats
I - Identify those possible threats
P - Predict what might happen
D - Decode what to do if they do happen
E - Execute when they do.

It's a good bet that most of the people that get into trouble are the ones who drive thinking the road belongs to them.
whaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 11:14 AM   #17
ThisGuy919

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
It's holiday time. Some of the worst drivers out this time of the year
ThisGuy919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 12:24 PM   #18
jflBRZ

Drives: WRB BRZ 6AT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
yeah, you should definitely be more vigilant man. They don't call us Massholes for nothing!
jflBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 03:08 PM   #19
Ganthrithor

Drives: '13 BRZ, '06 997, Other Things(TM)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whaap View Post
It might be appropriate to repeat something we used to teach in the MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) basic riding course. SIPDE!

It's a good bet that most of the people that get into trouble are the ones who drive thinking the road belongs to them.
Yeah, there are definitely some places that just bring out peoples' inner retard as well: for example there's a roundabout near my house where people constantly enter the roundabout from a lane that is only for making an immediate right turn, then cut across into the "thru traffic" lane without looking or signalling when they realize they don't want to turn right. Admittedly it's a horrifically stupid way to set up a roundabout, but I'm always double-extra careful when going through there. Always watch people's front wheels-- they'll often tell you what idiocy they're about to engage in and give you time to brake.
Ganthrithor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 03:19 PM   #20
BRZfan

Drives: 2013BRZ Premium St Silver Metallic
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Yes.
Park away from other cars as much as possible.
Use lights when they are sometimes not really needed.
Before backing up in parking lots survey the surrounding area - even before you get in the car.
Be ready to use horn and to reverse direction quickly.
Limit audio sound in your vehicle.
Back up in parking lots very slowly six to twelve inches at a time. - sorta like an aircraft carrier transiting thru the Panama Canal locks with only a few feet clearance - slow and easy.

There is no guarantee, however, since accidents will occur. This is no "joke".

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznBRZer View Post
I'm confused. Are you saying that I should be more vigilant?
BRZfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 03:24 PM   #21
BRZfan

This advice is worth repeating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganthrithor View Post
Always watch people's front wheels-- they'll often tell you what idiocy they're about to engage in and give you time to brake.
Old 12-22-2013, 03:42 PM   #22
kALMIGHTY
Banned

Drives: TRD Ultramarine '13
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflBRZ View Post
And driving/road skills tend to deteriorate with the reliance on technology and lack of strict training in order to acquire a license... and of course carelessness of such drivers.

Gotta learn defensive driving yourself too...
Unfortunately, North America (other places to, but mostly NA) hasn't been very strict about training drivers properly. All you need to do is a "written" test where you answer multiple choice questions (very simple) and you need to pass that, and then do a road test which takes about 20 minutes of simple parking and lane change manoeuvres, no high speed driving or high traffic driving or anything. So, you COULD get your license within 2 days from start to finish if you're over 18.
As long as you can show "understanding" of how to park and move a car, you're considered a "good" driver. It's really quite sad.

Driving schools are offered of course, but they're not mandatory, which IMO they should be. HPDE should also be mandatory because from my experience, most people get into accidents because they can't control their cars at high speed, and some even at creepy-crawly speeds.

Most people aren't too aware of their surroundings nowadays because of automatic cars. It's a simple "accelerate-or-brake" mechanism and it's really making driving "too easy" for the people who aren't very good at it. I don't have anything against automatic cars, but the least that could be done in NA is to make doing a road test with a manual a requirement to get your license like it is over in Europe and other places. Driving a stick makes you so much more aware of your surroundings.
kALMIGHTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 04:24 PM   #23
AznBRZer

Drives: 16 CBS WRX Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZfan View Post
Yes.
Park away from other cars as much as possible.
Use lights when they are sometimes not really needed.
Before backing up in parking lots survey the surrounding area - even before you get in the car.
Be ready to use horn and to reverse direction quickly.
Limit audio sound in your vehicle.
Back up in parking lots very slowly six to twelve inches at a time. - sorta like an aircraft carrier transiting thru the Panama Canal locks with only a few feet clearance - slow and easy.

There is no guarantee, however, since accidents will occur. This is no "joke".
Hmmm...I already do all of the above. I guess I'm just an unlucky person.
AznBRZer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 04:27 PM   #24
sprintertrueno86

Drives: 2018 BMW M2
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisGuy919 View Post
It's holiday time. Some of the worst drivers out this time of the year
So true. I do my shopping online or take my Legacy to the mall if I have to.

People cant see our cars. Almost got sideswiped so many times on the highway its not even funny.
sprintertrueno86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 04:41 PM   #25
Nevermore
Wayward Member

Drives: Hot Lava 86
Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,386 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whaap View Post

I've never rode a motorcycle but I do this without thinking most of the time while driving. Specifically while on the interstate. I won't switch to the middle lane of a three lane highway if there's someone next to me in the far lane, just in case he decides to get over at the same time I do. I also watch at entrance ramps for people I know will want to merge and I go out of my way to avoid them.

As far as the OP, I hate parking lots with a passion. I always take the first spot I can find, don't wait for people, and triple check every angle when parking or reversing. I'm very defensive in those types of locations.
Old 12-22-2013, 04:56 PM   #26
whaap

Drives: '13 FR-S firestorm, 6 mt - '11 CR-V
Thanked 1,387 Times in 657 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevermore View Post

As far as the OP, I hate parking lots with a passion. I always take the first spot I can find, don't wait for people, and triple check every angle when parking or reversing. I'm very defensive in those types of locations.
Yep. What might help is when you pull into a parking lot stop and think: every car I see in this lot is going to be backing up at some time today. In many parking lots that's a lot of cars and a person just can't let their guard down.
whaap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to whaap For This Useful Post:
Nevermore (12-22-2013)
Old 12-23-2013, 06:34 PM   #27
Ganthrithor

Drives: '13 BRZ, '06 997, Other Things(TM)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AznBRZer View Post
Hmmm...I already do all of the above. I guess I'm just an unlucky person.
There's nothing you can do to flat out avoid getting hit in a parking lot: I was once hit in a lot after I sat in my space, waited for a car in my row to pass behind me, then began inching out looking over my shoulder watching for cars either behind me (other side of the row and also backing up) or for another car that might come barreling down that row (happened a lot at the city college lot I was in at the time). Anyway, I get about halfway out of the spot (enough that people coming down the row can definitely see me since I'm taking up half the lane), I look to my right again and find the car that I'd allowed to pass by me is now backing up into me for absolutely no reason. I tapped the horn but he didn't stop reversing and I didn't want to throw it in first and try and pull back in because it was a compact parking spot with a big concrete light pole foundation at the front of it-- if something was gonna get crunched I figured it was better for it to be the other driver's fault than my own...

Anyway it all turned out OK-- the guy was an elderly dude driving a Camry rather than some nineteen year-old dude who might have just taken off. But it just goes to show that you can only look one or two ways at a time and there's no way to positively avoid being hit in parking lots, no matter how slowly / carefully you do things. There will always be a better idiot.
Ganthrithor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:51 PM   #28
BRZfan

I missed one:
When parking, do so when you do not have to back out. This cannot always be done but decreases the probability of a mishap when you can do it this way.

Last edited by BRZfan; 12-24-2013 at 04:01 PM.