follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 12-27-2015, 11:28 PM   #1
ka-t_240

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Harness Bars/Rear Cage options

Hi Everyone,

What are you all using for either a harness bar, or a "back half" cage in your car? I know autopower isn't a valid option.

I am doing more and more HPDE events, and would like to start using a HANS device, so I need to properly install harnesses.
ka-t_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 12:16 PM   #2
IPGJames
Banned

Drives: ...Cars...
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I weighed all my options and ended up just having a custom 4 point roll bar welded in locally. The other options that I see on the market are not thrilling. But what everyone will tell you is it is ultimately down to your threshold for risk vs reward. I see many people using standard harness bars and those Schroth ASM harnesses and they are comfortable with that. Other like the bolt in style roll bars that are on the market. I just made the decision based on my personal preference, how I ultimately plan on using my car and tolerance for risk.

This is what is in my car -- http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96984
IPGJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 01:54 PM   #3
Sleepless

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ka-t_240 View Post
Hi Everyone,

What are you all using for either a harness bar, or a "back half" cage in your car? I know autopower isn't a valid option.

I am doing more and more HPDE events, and would like to start using a HANS device, so I need to properly install harnesses.
What is wrong with the AutoPower bar?
Old 12-28-2015, 04:21 PM   #4
ka-t_240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepless View Post
What is wrong with the AutoPower bar?

I've seen a number of people who are not happy with the 4 point. The main issue is related to the mounting that comes with for the front.
Old 12-28-2015, 04:25 PM   #5
Sleepless

Quote:
I've seen a number of people who are not happy with the 4 point. The main issue is related to the mounting that comes with for the front.
There really aren't a lot of choices on the front mounting. You need to weld in a support plate. It should be a fine roll bar. I have a custom one from Cantrell Motorsports and we ended up doing the same thing. I haven't seen anyone do it differently with a bolt in; at least not a way that I'd feel confident it will not push through the floor in a roll over.
Old 12-28-2015, 10:31 PM   #6
redlined600

Drives: Fr-s
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPGJames View Post
I weighed all my options and ended up just having a custom 4 point roll bar welded in locally. The other options that I see on the market are not thrilling.
X2

Quote:
That and from what I can tell the the rear legs land on the wheel arch rather than the "frame rail" or next to the shock mount.
redlined600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 10:52 PM   #7
ka-t_240

Quote:
I weighed all my options and ended up just having a custom 4 point roll bar welded in locally. The other options that I see on the market are not thrilling. But what everyone will tell you is it is ultimately down to your threshold for risk vs reward. I see many people using standard harness bars and those Schroth ASM harnesses and they are comfortable with that. Other like the bolt in style roll bars that are on the market. I just made the decision based on my personal preference, how I ultimately plan on using my car and tolerance for risk.

This is what is in my car -- http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96984

What did you end up paying for this? Do you know why they decided to terminate at the strut bar vs down to the "body"?

Last edited by ka-t_240; 12-28-2015 at 11:03 PM.
Old 12-28-2015, 11:32 PM   #8
Sleepless

Here is my Cantrell bar: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=16
Old 12-29-2015, 12:12 AM   #9
ka-t_240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepless View Post
If you took the bar out, would the rear seat function properly again? The idea of a bolt in option would be the ability to return the car to stock if I see it.
Old 12-29-2015, 01:09 AM   #10
Sleepless

Quote:
If you took the bar out, would the rear seat function properly again? The idea of a bolt in option would be the ability to return the car to stock if I see it.
Yes. In fact, I only remove the rear cross bar to get the rear seat to close (flip up fully). Fifth pic in that post shows my 'street' configuration. For track days I remove the seat back and put in the rear cross bar.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:37 AM   #11
IPGJames
Banned

Quote:
What did you end up paying for this? Do you know why they decided to terminate at the strut bar vs down to the "body"?
you can expect to pay about $1k for something similar from a good fab shop...Mazworx actually made a jig on this one when they bent mine up so you could possibly buy a u-weld type kit from them that would replicate what i have.

when looking for the best place to mount the rear bars there are a couple of options to pick up strong, frame locations on the chassis...we have done the strut tower bar integration on other cars that we have worked on together and it turns out well....I was hesitant at first to do it in this chassis because I was concerned about having usable space and being able to get to the top of the struts, fitting the interior back in, etc but it came out great...I would do it over again just like that in a heartbeat...all the interior except the rear seat backs fit back in nicely with some trimming.
Old 12-29-2015, 09:53 AM   #12
ka-t_240

Quote:
you can expect to pay about $1k for something similar from a good fab shop...Mazworx actually made a jig on this one when they bent mine up so you could possibly buy a u-weld type kit from them that would replicate what i have.

when looking for the best place to mount the rear bars there are a couple of options to pick up strong, frame locations on the chassis...we have done the strut tower bar integration on other cars that we have worked on together and it turns out well....I was hesitant at first to do it in this chassis because I was concerned about having usable space and being able to get to the top of the struts, fitting the interior back in, etc but it came out great...I would do it over again just like that in a heartbeat...all the interior except the rear seat backs fit back in nicely with some trimming.

Guess I live in the wrong part of the country. I have talked to people with similarly designed items to yours, they have all paid 2-3k.
Old 12-29-2015, 10:09 AM   #13
IPGJames
Banned

Quote:
Guess I live in the wrong part of the country. I have talked to people with similarly designed items to yours, they have all paid 2-3k.

Geez......that is quite high for a 4 point....

This is another car of mine...this full cage cost $2600 from BSI Racing in Daytona (these people I use are not the "cheapest" by any means..they are all well known, national level companies)

Old 12-29-2015, 11:14 AM   #14
ka-t_240

$2600 painted and floor work? Sounds like one could ship a car there and back for cage work and come out ahead in some cases.