follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 04-03-2023, 10:57 AM   #15
zc06_kisstherain

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
I wouldnt bring modified car to dealer ever even they say yes.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
zc06_kisstherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 11:20 AM   #16
wheelhaus

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2020 KTM Super Duke 1290R
Thanked 1,141 Times in 624 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Exhaust issues, MAF, and CEL need to be resolved. Dealer techs are really only trained on OEM stuff. Performing the recall is one thing, fixing a flaky custom turbo system is not something they're equipped to do. "Make it right" may not be a realistic option.

If you can't do the diagnostic work yourself, you will need to find a shop that's well versed in troubleshooting and diagnosing aftermarket/custom engine work. It may be simple solution- replace MAF, replace the stripped stud, refit all exhaust parts with new gaskets. Without more info its impossible to know.

The dealer can't really be held responsible for things working incorrectly here, as there was already things going wrong before the dealer touched it. If they blatantly broke something, sure, but we have no idea how well this kit was put together in the first place; it may have been "running fine" but hanging on by a thread. Simply removing some parts and putting them back in could have been the proverbial straw. If the MAF is epoxied into place and it already has exhaust leaks, those are pretty big red flags that make me think there's probably other issues as well; vacuum hoses, fouled sensors, etc.

Your tuner may be able to help if you send them a log. They can see what the ECU is seeing, whether there's a CEL or not, and might give you a list of things to look at.
wheelhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 12:28 PM   #17
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,284 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelhaus View Post
Exhaust issues, MAF, and CEL need to be resolved. Dealer techs are really only trained on OEM stuff. Performing the recall is one thing, fixing a flaky custom turbo system is not something they're equipped to do. "Make it right" may not be a realistic option.

If you can't do the diagnostic work yourself, you will need to find a shop that's well versed in troubleshooting and diagnosing aftermarket/custom engine work. It may be simple solution- replace MAF, replace the stripped stud, refit all exhaust parts with new gaskets. Without more info its impossible to know.

The dealer can't really be held responsible for things working incorrectly here, as there was already things going wrong before the dealer touched it. If they blatantly broke something, sure, but we have no idea how well this kit was put together in the first place; it may have been "running fine" but hanging on by a thread. Simply removing some parts and putting them back in could have been the proverbial straw. If the MAF is epoxied into place and it already has exhaust leaks, those are pretty big red flags that make me think there's probably other issues as well; vacuum hoses, fouled sensors, etc.

Your tuner may be able to help if you send them a log. They can see what the ECU is seeing, whether there's a CEL or not, and might give you a list of things to look at.
Why do people think that dealer techs are baffled by things beyond their training? Joe Enthusiast with some Harbor Freight wrench's seem to manage OK but trained and experienced tech with a full arsenal of equipment are baffled as soon as something is remotely different?
Working on modified cars has nothing do do with dealer training it is just a bad business idea as this thread has already proven.
soundman98 (04-03-2023), wheelhaus (04-06-2023), WildCard600 (04-03-2023)
Old 04-06-2023, 01:24 PM   #18
wheelhaus

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2020 KTM Super Duke 1290R
Thanked 1,141 Times in 624 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Why do people think that dealer techs are baffled by things beyond their training? Joe Enthusiast with some Harbor Freight wrench's seem to manage OK but trained and experienced tech with a full arsenal of equipment are baffled as soon as something is remotely different?
Working on modified cars has nothing do do with dealer training it is just a bad business idea as this thread has already proven.
Fair enough, but I think you misread my point of view or took offense to something that I wasn't intending. I'm just trying to adjust expectations. Ultimately, declining work and then blaming the shop accomplishes nothing.

I never said dealer techs are idiots. But, we're also not talking about something like control arms or a cold air intake or big brakes; I trust most competent techs can work around that stuff no problem. A custom turbo kit however, is not "remotely different." It's kind of a big deal, especially for liability when working on someone's engine that appears to have a bevy of other problems. Could they figure it out? Eventually, sure, but where is their parts support? Documentation? Are they going to read data logs and communicate with the tuner? Send out the exhaust for welding if something doesn't fit quite right? They focus on OEM repairs using OEM procedures and this isn't in their purview, nor should it be expected. That's what I meant by "not equipped," it wasn't a dig on anyone's intelligence.

You're right, working on modified cars has little to do with dealer-specific training or dealer technician competence, so when do they get the training on custom turbo kits on cars that weren't designed to have one from the factory? Work with people who have insight and experience. The dealer is the expert on OEM. Work with the tuner and/or take the FRS turbo kit to a tuning/race shop that does FRS turbo kits to troubleshoot the FRS turbo kit problems.
wheelhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wheelhaus For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (04-06-2023), soundman98 (04-06-2023)

Tags
check engine light, help needed, maf sensor, recall, service