follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 05-02-2014, 12:58 PM   #15
BC-Boy

Drives: 2013 Brz sport-tech
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven604 View Post
I have also run nothing but 94 chevron gas from coquitlam but don't have crickets. It's probably a manufacturing process error somewhere along the line that causes it. But I have no idea if 2 stroke oil / gas is a good idea.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
yah dude, our chevron here is total BS , i get a great tank where i can run a full 93oct tune with no knock, other times i get a tank where a 91tune is knocking like mad, i put 91vpower the knock stops and pulls smooth and steady, thus meaning at some times that 94 is of lesser quality than the 91. that is to me false marketing , to label a product as something it does not perform to
BC-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 12:59 PM   #16
FreshFRS
KCCO From Canada

Drives: Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC-Boy View Post
im going to wait and see how the VP additive works, if as advertised it does lubricate and clean injectors, if it doesnt work i have redline fuel additive, which is supposed to lubricate the upper cyl and clean / lubricate injectors, i will only go small doses, if still doesnt work im putting some ashless 2 stroke at a very very thin ratio no knowing how it will affect the VP stuff as well, the switch from chevron to shell might help as well.
to get the best results with chevron 94, make sure you find a pump that is constantly used, there are many gas stations that have it but don't sell enough to justify having the pump. I've had some great experiences and some shitty ones, it really depends on how long the fuel is sitting for. but i do agree v-power 91 is good gas!
FreshFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 01:02 PM   #17
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmearcampain View Post
Quite a few people are using 2-stroke oil to quiet their engines
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21980 (among other threads)
This is the thread that convinced me to go buy a bottle of 2 stroke oil with TCw3. My next tank of gas will be the inaugural tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC-Boy View Post
putting a animal i would go no lower than a honey badger
It's a low horsepower car, you probably don't need a full honey badger. I'd go with a mink first and work up from there. Mink are assholes.
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gramicci101 For This Useful Post:
SirBrass (05-02-2014)
Old 05-02-2014, 01:22 PM   #18
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Drives: 2019 WRX Limited (WRB)
Thanked 1,251 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL BRZ View Post
I've used 1-2oz of Lucas smokeless low ash 2 stroke oil in a full tank of gas many times before and it completely silences the crickets for the duration of that tank. Do a search and you'll find many others here use it with the same results and no ill effects. Just keep the concentration really low and you'll be fine.
Do you add it before or after you've filled the tank?

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 01:26 PM   #19
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFRS View Post
to get the best results with chevron 94, make sure you find a pump that is constantly used, there are many gas stations that have it but don't sell enough to justify having the pump. I've had some great experiences and some shitty ones, it really depends on how long the fuel is sitting for. but i do agree v-power 91 is good gas!
I'm sure v-power is good gas, but it's so massively overpriced per gallon here. We're talking almost $0.30 more per gallon depending on the station, unless you have a shell credit card (I have 2 credit cards, I don't want or NEED more... hell, I'd prefer to only have ONE), in which case it drops to only a painful bit more expensive than it ought to be.

Quick Trip's 91, though, is good stuff too. Not a fan of chevron ever since Clark Turner (almost a god among tuners of the turbo'd EJ motor) warned away turbo'd subies guys from it, saying how he can tell when an EJ has been running it for a while (significant loss of power from where it should be).

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
Old 05-02-2014, 01:30 PM   #20
BC-Boy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFRS View Post
yah i just made a overly long a detailed thread about my 94 chev experience
Old 05-02-2014, 01:33 PM   #21
stugray
Banned

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,445 Times in 711 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Any results with seafoam?

I was reading about "rejuvinating" a 99 Chevy Suburban, and a lot of people said it made a huge difference.
The procedure for the Chevy was to allow the seafoam to be "ingested" by a vacuum line, so that method wouldnt help the HPFP.
But putting it in the tank would make it pass through the hpfp.
stugray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 01:34 PM   #22
BC-Boy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBrass View Post
I'm sure v-power is good gas, but it's so massively overpriced per gallon here. We're talking almost $0.30 more per gallon depending on the station, unless you have a shell credit card (I have 2 credit cards, I don't want or NEED more... hell, I'd prefer to only have ONE), in which case it drops to only a painful bit more expensive than it ought to be.

Quick Trip's 91, though, is good stuff too. Not a fan of chevron ever since Clark Turner (almost a god among tuners of the turbo'd EJ motor) warned away turbo'd subies guys from it, saying how he can tell when an EJ has been running it for a while (significant loss of power from where it should be).
Oh totally, here in canada we are blessed with cold winters and bad gas, beautiful women and alot of hockey teams . Ok maybe not so many good looking women but we do have bad gas cold winters and alot of hockey to watch. all to say i dont have many choices, the shell thats the most used theres a little hottie that works there , it has the freshest gas, and .. thats 2 upsides to it. the chevs have not so good looking employees working there and bad gas time to time. 2
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BC-Boy For This Useful Post:
FreshFRS (05-02-2014), SirBrass (05-02-2014)
Old 05-02-2014, 01:36 PM   #23
gramicci101
Off Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBrass View Post
Do you add it before or after you've filled the tank?
I'd add it before, so the gas inflow would stir it around and provide a decent mix. If you pour it in after you put the gas in, you're basically depending on the additive to dissolve thoroughly into the full tank of gas.
SirBrass (05-02-2014)
Old 05-02-2014, 01:51 PM   #24
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramicci101 View Post
I'd add it before, so the gas inflow would stir it around and provide a decent mix. If you pour it in after you put the gas in, you're basically depending on the additive to dissolve thoroughly into the full tank of gas.
Where can you get this stuff?

I'm doing an all day corner-carving cruise around the back routes of central Arizona tomorrow, so I'll let that trip be the first several tanks of this stuff. I don't have crickets, but everyone always appends "yet" onto my statement.

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
Old 05-02-2014, 01:56 PM   #25
gramicci101
Off Topic

You can get it at Walmart, Autozone, anywhere that can service two stroke engines. I picked up a quart of Castrol 2-stroke with TCw3 from Autozone for about $4.

I'm using a 4 oz bottle from a previous fuel additive so I can keep it in the glove compartment. That'll get me through two tanks of gas.
SirBrass (05-02-2014)
Old 05-02-2014, 05:56 PM   #26
CircuitJerk
Pull my finger...

Drives: Silver Scion Slushbox
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
I grew up on sleds and bikes and I'm completely aligned with your thinking, OP.
However, I can't help but think that the wrong oil, and not used sparingly could foul plugs and the proposition of having to check/change/clean plugs on the boxer doesn't sit well with me when things go wrong.
Just a thought...
CircuitJerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 04:24 PM   #27
BC-Boy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CircuitJerk View Post
However, I can't help but think that the wrong oil, and not used sparingly could foul plugs and the proposition of having to check/change/clean plugs on the boxer doesn't sit well with me when things go wrong.
Just a thought...
for sure it will,and plugs are hard to get too on this platform. prob make its way past the rings and contaminate the engine oil im sure too, not like gasoline that can boil off. i was wondering if going a full synthetic would be better or worse, it does keep things clean but it doesnt completely burn in combustion. its a hard tradeoff, but im sure the key will be using the absolute minimal amount possible and having it completely burn in combustion. im just addicted to ipone cause it smells so good and i love the jugs it comes in
The Following User Says Thank You to BC-Boy For This Useful Post:
CircuitJerk (05-03-2014)
Old 05-05-2014, 01:57 AM   #28
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CircuitJerk View Post
Just a thought...
So the right 2-stroke oil would be...?

On phone I am. Therefore, if mistakes I make, Frank Oz blame you should.

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^

Tags
chirping, noise