follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
86WORX
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-12-2017, 07:11 PM   #15
Prog
Senior Member
 
Prog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Drives: 2016 Cadillac CTS
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 497
Thanks: 177
Thanked 135 Times in 95 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanguy View Post
no real clean way to do it unless you are ready to learn(or already know how) to fabricate custom dash pieces. this is what i did when i left the nexus 7 and went to an ipad mini install.
Yeeeupp. I eventually gave up on the magnet thing because it would just randomly fall apart (the glue that held the brackets wouldn't stick...even though it was for gluing plastic, I guess it didn't work well on that type of plastic).

I have Apple CarPlay now and I'd never try something like this again except for funsies. I just enjoy having something that works, is responsive, and automatically updates.
Prog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Prog For This Useful Post:
CxG (04-20-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 12:40 PM   #16
CxG
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Drives: Pearl White '13 ZN6
Location: Empire State, USA
Posts: 149
Thanks: 1,559
Thanked 27 Times in 23 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanguy View Post
no real clean way to do it unless you are ready to learn(or already know how) to fabricate custom dash pieces. this is what i did when i left the nexus 7 and went to an ipad mini install.
I'm and android fan so I'll be rooting my nexus this weekend, getting ready to install soon. I figure this with the little 3D printed plastic pieces for the edges should be clean enough (hopefully). I wouldn't mind learning how to make a custom dash but I want it to look good and don't know how long that'd take
CxG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 02:32 AM   #17
phanguy
Senior Member
 
phanguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: Scion FR-S Ultramarine
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 740
Thanks: 147
Thanked 291 Times in 194 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CxG View Post
I'm and android fan so I'll be rooting my nexus this weekend, getting ready to install soon. I figure this with the little 3D printed plastic pieces for the edges should be clean enough (hopefully). I wouldn't mind learning how to make a custom dash but I want it to look good and don't know how long that'd take
if you can use a dremel, bondo, sand paper, and spray paint then you're good to go.
phanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 12:40 AM   #18
kt45
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Drives: BRZ 2013 MT
Location: Arizona
Posts: 37
Thanks: 3
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I just removed the battery on my tablet and wired it into a constant 5V and it recieves power for timurs on/off function from my usb hub which is wired to accessory. Zip tied it to my bezel so no ghettoness on the outside.
kt45 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kt45 For This Useful Post:
CxG (05-03-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 10:50 AM   #19
CxG
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Drives: Pearl White '13 ZN6
Location: Empire State, USA
Posts: 149
Thanks: 1,559
Thanked 27 Times in 23 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kt45 View Post
I just removed the battery on my tablet and wired it into a constant 5V and it recieves power for timurs on/off function from my usb hub which is wired to accessory. Zip tied it to my bezel so no ghettoness on the outside.
Pictures?
CxG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 03:29 PM   #20
allowe
Senior Member
 
allowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Drives: FR-S
Location: mississauga
Posts: 566
Thanks: 225
Thanked 119 Times in 86 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prog View Post
Yeeeupp. I eventually gave up on the magnet thing because it would just randomly fall apart (the glue that held the brackets wouldn't stick...even though it was for gluing plastic, I guess it didn't work well on that type of plastic).

I have Apple CarPlay now and I'd never try something like this again except for funsies. I just enjoy having something that works, is responsive, and automatically updates.
are you still using the nexus 7? did you do anything differently? hows sound quality?
allowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 05:55 PM   #21
kt45
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Drives: BRZ 2013 MT
Location: Arizona
Posts: 37
Thanks: 3
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CxG View Post
Pictures?
Ill probably put together a build thread in a bit. But basically you wire in a usb car phone charger to your 12v constant. Then you take a usb cable and solder the v+ and GND to the wires and pcb of the nexus 7 battery after you separate the connector/pcb from the battery. Theres a video on youtube somewhere.

Heres how it looks mounted.

kt45 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kt45 For This Useful Post:
CxG (05-11-2017)
Old 05-09-2017, 05:58 PM   #22
allowe
Senior Member
 
allowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Drives: FR-S
Location: mississauga
Posts: 566
Thanks: 225
Thanked 119 Times in 86 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Removable Nexus 7 install

Why don't people just use the tablet mount instead? It's a lot easier to install and you can take it out whenever u want and be able to keep your volume knob

Also, anyone using nexus 7 2nd gen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
allowe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to allowe For This Useful Post:
CxG (05-11-2017)
Old 05-09-2017, 06:04 PM   #23
Andrew025
Senior Member
 
Andrew025's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Drives: WRB BRZ
Location: Portland
Posts: 3,848
Thanks: 1,434
Thanked 3,491 Times in 1,798 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by allowe View Post
Why don't people just use the tablet mount instead? It's a lot easier to install and you can take it out whenever u want and be able to keep your volume knob

Also, anyone using nexus 7 2nd gen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Because it looks a lot better integrated into the dash.
I had a 2nd gen in dash with my WRX with working steering wheel controls, auto power on/sleep etc...
__________________
Andrew025 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew025 For This Useful Post:
CxG (05-11-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 03:41 PM   #24
kt45
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Drives: BRZ 2013 MT
Location: Arizona
Posts: 37
Thanks: 3
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Yep actually looks like it belongs there instead of hanging off of your dash. I feel like it can be mistaken as a oem unit this way. Integrated SWC working as well. Only issues I have with my 2nd gen are with Timurs kernel not turning off and has to be unplugged to suspend. His blog says its likely a cranking issue. Anyone come across this?
kt45 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nexus 7 Install and Customization gdrider77 Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment 18 06-07-2016 12:35 PM
Nexus 7 DIY dash install Casper Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment 16 01-17-2016 01:28 PM
Another Nexus 7 install: Clean and Easy Sojhinn Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment 264 10-30-2015 09:26 AM
Problems with NEXUS 7 Install Rhamzy Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment 6 01-03-2014 04:43 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.