follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 06-16-2015, 03:50 PM   #15
Koa
Sweeper

Drives: '02 RA Bugeye | '15 FRS
Thanked 1,488 Times in 788 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by waisuk View Post
Mine does get freezing cold at LO. Ironically, I can't reproduce the issue all the time. Yesterday, even at 60 (1 above LO), it was blowing slightly warm air. I drove the dealer right away, and the service manager was there to capture that precious moment with me. He agreed that didn't seem normal. I will bring it in as soon as the annoying clicking noise in the back is getting more frequent (yes mine has that rattling noise, AND IT COMES BACK after 1.5 years, because Subaru didn't wield the frame well enough).

The 10-15min they mentioned was for the AC blowing fully cold air when set at LO (you know they don't write you a full essay on the service report).

I am definitely looking into trading in for the new Miata.
new miata loool
Koa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 08:58 AM   #16
PatSciFRS

Drives: Scion FRS 10 Series
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by waisuk View Post
Call out to fellow 10 series owner, or monogram or RS1.0 owner. Does your Auto AC blow out warm air on regular basis above 63 on the display no matter AC/recirculation on or off?

Dropped off the car at dealer. Say they can't reproduce the issue and it's normal that it takes 10-15min to get cold. I drove the car for 10min from the dealer to work after picking it up. Set temp at 65 with both AC and recirc on. It was not very warm but definitely what I expect from 65. Anyone has the same issue?
It appears that the damper between the hot air stream and the cool air stream is stuck and/or is not responding to the thermostat's temperature setting. As to how long it takes to cool down depends on many factors, such as, how hot and sunny it is outside and how cool you like it. Regardless, if you want to cool the cabin fast, you need to set the temperature setting to "Lo", which should completely close the damper to the heater radiator.
As someone else has mentioned, it is also possible that during hard acceleration, the hot air damper opens slightly (defect) and lets unwanted hot air into the cabin.
You should definitely take it to another dealership to have it checked out.
PatSciFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 09:01 AM   #17
Shady195

Drives: '13 10 Series FRS #1203
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Keep in mind also, that at least in my experience the AC does not blow as cold on these cars at idle as it will when moving. I've been in 3 twins now, 2 of my own and 1 other persons car that all do the same thing. It gets cold at idle, but gets REALLY cold when cruising.
Shady195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 04:12 PM   #18
Abraxus

Drives: Scion FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I have noticed this with my 10 series, as well. Where I live (Northern Cali) it can get pretty hot so that's definitely playing a factor. But it takes a bit long to get somewhat cold. Like Shady said, it gets cold when cruising but for me, I think it would take a while to get cold while idle. Just blows warm air for a while. Doesn't seem normal.
Abraxus is offline   Reply With Quote