follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 07-04-2020, 10:24 AM   #1
SockMonkey

Drives: '13 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
08+ STI Brembo swap use 2017 BRZ Rotors?

Alright, I've been searching and my google skills are letting me down. I just sold my 08 STi that I built and picked up a 2013 BRZ Limited. Now, I know my OEM brakes are quite adequate for most situations, but I LOVE the look of the Brembo's, and I will be doing some autox. So I plan on doing a swap at some point.

All the tutorials I've found suggest using DBA dual drilled rotors or have sti rotors redrilled to fit the 5x100 on our cars. My question is, now that they make a performance package with brembos, can I do the STI Brembo swap, but use the BRZ Brembo rotors? From what I've found the dimensions are the same, so I am assuming they didn't move the offset of the rotor and they should work with STI Brembos.

Last edited by SockMonkey; 07-04-2020 at 03:34 PM.
SockMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 07:02 PM   #2
TylerLieberman

Drives: '24 GR86
Thanked 3,342 Times in 1,576 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
The different mounting position of the calipers between the STI and BRZ/86 make the OEM STI Brembos a less than ideal choice to use.

You don't really need a BBK for autox. Good pads/fluid properly matched with tires would suffice.
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TylerLieberman For This Useful Post:
timurrrr (08-04-2021)
Old 07-05-2020, 02:56 PM   #3
SockMonkey

The different mounting position is easily fixed. On the opposite side of the bleeder is a plug. You just swap the bleeders to the other side. This fixes any bleeding issue caused by the different mounting position and keeps the caliper on the proper side. So thats a moot point.

They are also significantly larger and therefore larger thermal mass and surface area for better cooling, but they also more weight on each wheel.

As I mentioned I know that the stock brake are probably more than adequate. But I also LOVE the way the Brembos look. So if I find a good deal on a set sometime in the future I'll probably pick them up.

It still doesn't answer my original question. Will 17+ BRZ Brembo rotors work with STI Brembos?
Old 07-05-2020, 09:42 PM   #4
TylerLieberman

Drives: '24 GR86
Thanked 3,342 Times in 1,576 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockMonkey View Post
The different mounting position is easily fixed. On the opposite side of the bleeder is a plug. You just swap the bleeders to the other side. This fixes any bleeding issue caused by the different mounting position and keeps the caliper on the proper side. So thats a moot point.

They are also significantly larger and therefore larger thermal mass and surface area for better cooling, but they also more weight on each wheel.

As I mentioned I know that the stock brake are probably more than adequate. But I also LOVE the way the Brembos look. So if I find a good deal on a set sometime in the future I'll probably pick them up.

It still doesn't answer my original question. Will 17+ BRZ Brembo rotors work with STI Brembos?
Wrong, and no.
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 10:55 PM   #5
SockMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerLieberman View Post
Wrong, and no.
Lol, K dude... how in any way is what I posted wrong?

08+ sti front brembos are rear mounted. When installed on a BRZ (front mounted) the bleeders point down. Simply swapping the plug and bleeder on each caliper prevents issues while bleeding the brakes and maintains proper piston orientation to prevent pads from tapering. They are larger and thicker, hence larger thermal mass, this also means they have more surface area for dissipating heat.

I'm guessing you are wrong and likely just don't know. The '17+ ts brembo rotors are the same diameter and thickness. So unless they changed the offset, which is doubtful, it is highly likely that they will work. Just seeing if anyone has tried them.

Thanks for being helpful.. lol

Last edited by SockMonkey; 07-05-2020 at 11:09 PM.
Old 07-05-2020, 11:27 PM   #6
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
more mass doesn't mean more area to dissipate. more mass firstly means more mass to retain.

dissipation has to do with exposed surface area, as well as the materials used that enhance coupling and transference into the air. cast steels don't dissipate heat as well as they retain it.

if you like the look, you like the look. just seems like your reaching for justification
DarkPira7e (07-06-2020)
Old 07-06-2020, 09:32 AM   #7
SockMonkey

I mean, if they are larger in diameter they have more surface area. And yes they have more mass so they retain more heat, that also means they take longer to over heat. So, not really reaching too far here. The negative IS that the rotors weigh more, but the calipers weigh less, so overall its not that bad a change. And again, I've already said I like the look so that is part of the motivation.

I just want to know if I HAVE to source the DBA dual drilled rotors or if I can get the 5x100 rotors used on the 17+. I don't care if people think the $/performance isn't worth it.
Old 07-06-2020, 09:45 AM   #8
Westen86
Purist

Drives: 2013 FRS - Hot Lava
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Everything Ive looked up says the mid-generation STi Brembos DONT FIT on the twins. Even if there was a magical bracket, and you moved the bleeder screw, the stock Master Cylinder cant push enough fluid into the new huge pistons. Your best bet is powder coating the PP brakes and making clones.

RaceComp SS-1, Complete SuperPro bushings, TR Motorsport FF10 17x9 +45, GruppeS UEL, HKS Hi-Power V2, OFT(93/E85)
Westen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 10:31 AM   #9
SockMonkey

Uhhh, not sure where you heard that... There are literally whole threads showing that 08+ sti brembos literally bolt right up, no brackets, anything, front and rear. Even the e-brake is identical to the sti. The oem brake system has no trouble running the brembos...

The only thing you need to do is get 5x100 sti rotors. DBA sells rotors that are dual drilled 5x100 and 5x114. These are what everyone uses, or you have to get other ones redrilled. The 17+ ts performance package has almost identical brembos to the sti, rotors are the same diameter and thickness to the STI, except they are 5x100, so it would make sourcing rotors easier with more options.
The Following User Says Thank You to SockMonkey For This Useful Post:
CrowsFeast (08-06-2021)
Old 03-10-2021, 01:09 PM   #10
Habofro

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Uhhh, not sure where you heard that... There are literally whole threads showing that 08+ sti brembos literally bolt right up, no brackets, anything, front and rear. Even the e-brake is identical to the sti. The oem brake system has no trouble running the brembos...

The only thing you need to do is get 5x100 sti rotors. DBA sells rotors that are dual drilled 5x100 and 5x114. These are what everyone uses, or you have to get other ones redrilled. The 17+ ts performance package has almost identical brembos to the sti, rotors are the same diameter and thickness to the STI, except they are 5x100, so it would make sourcing rotors easier with more options.
Crazy how uninformed people are willing to answer your very simply question with nonesense!

The front rotor of the tS will fit on your car with the STI brembo without any issue. The offset of the disc are only 0.1mm off from each other.

As for the rear, I'm not 100% sure but I'm pretty confident that they'll fit. Worth a shot before going with the DBA rotors
Habofro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Habofro For This Useful Post:
CrowsFeast (08-06-2021)
Old 03-10-2021, 01:29 PM   #11
Mike_ZN6

Drives: 2016 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I am pretty sure using the STI Brembos on the 86 platform alters the brake balance in a negative way.
Mike_ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mike_ZN6 For This Useful Post:
CounterSpace Garage (03-18-2021), DylanJZA (01-31-2023), timurrrr (08-05-2021)
Old 07-27-2021, 04:22 PM   #12
SockMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habofro View Post
Crazy how uninformed people are willing to answer your very simply question with nonesense!

The front rotor of the tS will fit on your car with the STI brembo without any issue. The offset of the disc are only 0.1mm off from each other.

As for the rear, I'm not 100% sure but I'm pretty confident that they'll fit. Worth a shot before going with the DBA rotors
Thank you! haha, for real though, it's annoying.. And that's good to know about the front, 0.1mm is basically nothing. I ended up selling the '13 but have a '22 ordered and it doesn't look like a Performance Package will be offered, so I will likely do this swap pretty quickly. I'll see what I can source, if I can find a good deal on the rears I'll give them a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_ZN6 View Post
I am pretty sure using the STI Brembos on the 86 platform alters the brake balance in a negative way.
It depends on which ones you use. The 04-17 front calipers are basically all identical. But the 04-07 and 08-17 rears are different. The 04-07 use a 36mm piston and the 08-17 use a 40mm. The 04-07 will move the bias significantly to the front, but according to the calculations I've seen done by several people, the 08-17 only shift the bias forward about ~1%, that's negligible as far as I'm concerned.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SockMonkey For This Useful Post:
CrowsFeast (08-06-2021), Mike_ZN6 (07-27-2021)
Old 07-27-2021, 08:42 PM   #13
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Thank you! haha, for real though, it's annoying.. And that's good to know about the front, 0.1mm is basically nothing. I ended up selling the '13 but have a '22 ordered and it doesn't look like a Performance Package will be offered, so I will likely do this swap pretty quickly. I'll see what I can source, if I can find a good deal on the rears I'll give them a try.
we'll see. the performance package didn't debut until 2017, so that would be 2026-ish if they keep to the same release schedule.
Old 07-27-2021, 09:28 PM   #14
SockMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
we'll see. the performance package didn't debut until 2017, so that would be 2026-ish if they keep to the same release schedule.
Well yeah, but that doesn't help me ordering my 2022... I'll just make my own performance package, with black jack and hookers.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SockMonkey For This Useful Post:
CrowsFeast (08-06-2021), soundman98 (07-27-2021), timurrrr (08-04-2021)