follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 01-31-2019, 06:36 PM   #1
itzaustin

Drives: 2013 FRS 10 series
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thumbs down Long crank startup

Alright guys been having this issue for a while. Searched far and wide through the forums and looks like most people only have this issue sometimes, other than this issue starting when the car is driving it drives amazing. I have this long crank issue every morning when I start the car up and anytime the car has been sitting for longer than 30/45 min. Custom turbo kit tuned on ecutek. Running 850cc injectors and a full blown 485 fuel pump. Just tried switching back to a stock pump with no luck. I prime the fuel pump and let it sit for at least 10 seconds every startup. No luck their either, no codes or anything either. Any suggestions on what I should look out for would be great.
itzaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 06:39 PM   #2
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,240 Times in 8,609 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
What fuel? Has it always acted this way with current tune?
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 06:52 PM   #3
itzaustin

Drives: 2013 FRS 10 series
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphireho View Post
What fuel? Has it always acted this way with current tune?
Running 92, and it acted like this for a bit. Brought it to see if my tuner could change anything he changed something in the tune but it didn’t fix it. Then it just started to bug me so much I went and changed the spark plugs and messed with the fuel pump and it stopped doing it for about a week and then gradually got worse and started doing it again.
itzaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 07:04 PM   #4
Grady

Drives: BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger, 2011 Evora
Thanked 1,475 Times in 771 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
My call is a tune issue. Not mechanical.
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 07:58 PM   #5
x808drifter
LMGTFY

Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,625 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Try have someone jump you.
If that doesn't do it, I'd say it's tune related.
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 08:13 PM   #6
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by itzaustin View Post
Alright guys been having this issue for a while. Searched far and wide through the forums and looks like most people only have this issue sometimes, other than this issue starting when the car is driving it drives amazing. I have this long crank issue every morning when I start the car up and anytime the car has been sitting for longer than 30/45 min. Custom turbo kit tuned on ecutek. Running 850cc injectors and a full blown 485 fuel pump. Just tried switching back to a stock pump with no luck. I prime the fuel pump and let it sit for at least 10 seconds every startup. No luck their either, no codes or anything either. Any suggestions on what I should look out for would be great.
Considering your modifications and that your car runs good after it gets started, I would just consider the relatively long start time just the nature of the modified beast -

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 12:53 AM   #7
mswbrz

Drives: 2013 brz limited / galaxy blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Having forced induction myself on my twin I have a Jackson racing supercharger and I noticed that the crank would take a second when I had a regular battery however when I upgraded to an Optima the crank was very much a shortened With shorter cranking time. I also have an amp connected with the car for the stereo and that was an extra load on the car as well. so perhaps trying an Optima battery or a battery with more cranking amps may help . ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mswbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 01:00 AM   #8
mswbrz

Drives: 2013 brz limited / galaxy blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Has it Alwys cranked this long ? Was it cranking this long at the start of the install ?? Are you able to flash to stock tune with eku Tek to start the car of stock tune ?

mswbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 01:10 AM   #9
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mswbrz View Post
Has it Alwys cranked this long ? Was it cranking this long at the start of the install ?? Are you able to flash to stock tune with eku Tek to start the car of stock tune ?

No he cannot as he has 850 cc injectors and a different MAP sensor and a turbo
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 01:20 AM   #10
steve99
Banned

Quote:

With those mods you going to meed to do a lot of investigation.

Check for intake leaks especially bov

Check that map sensor reads 1bar with ignition on and mptpr stopped
Cgeck it reads about 0.3 bar with motor idling.

Check di computer is bolted to side of engine with ALL three mount bolts

Check the port injectpr scaling latemct min open time are correct in tine, check the tune compensates for the 850 cc injectors during cranking as they are 3 times size of srock 228 cc. This can be done is nimber of ways in tune.

Of you have flex check sensor is reading correctly amd inpit getting to ecu.

It appears it may not be getting enough fuel, tgeor are dozzens of tables in tune that control cranking fueling depemding on pressure temperature and more so without access to tune and logging device your not going to get anywhere unless your very lucky

I think their were some problems lile this with older versions of ecutek racerom runnog speed density if your on racerom 9 or better its likely ok
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
mswbrz (02-01-2019)
Old 02-01-2019, 07:45 AM   #11
Brz_racer

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Also you might consider getting a battery with more CCA, your putting a bigger load on everything when your starting because of the mods done.
Brz_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brz_racer For This Useful Post:
mswbrz (02-01-2019)
Old 03-23-2019, 12:26 AM   #12
86joe

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Garage
Quote:
Have you resolved this issue yet? I have the same fuel system setup and tuner has not been able to resolve it. Except my issue is opposite of yours -- Cold start first in morning starts good (a little sloppy but fires up) and the rest of the day when warm it cranks forever just like your video. Same 850 injectors.
86joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 06:25 PM   #13
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86joe View Post
Have you resolved this issue yet? I have the same fuel system setup and tuner has not been able to resolve it. Except my issue is opposite of yours -- Cold start first in morning starts good (a little sloppy but fires up) and the rest of the day when warm it cranks forever just like your video. Same 850 injectors.

Id say cranking fueling too rich
Start ok on cold morning as you need more fuel at lower temps
When you put in bigger injectors like 850 cc in place of 228 cc stock you need to male corresponding change to cranking fueling as its a raw pulsewidth, hence almost 4 times bigger injecgors you need to reduce cranking pulses by corresponding amount can also be injectpr lanency issue not set correctly
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
humfrz (03-23-2019)