follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Mid-Atlantic

Mid-Atlantic DC, DE, MD, VA, WV

User Tag List

Old 01-05-2019, 02:07 PM   #1
AsianStyle

Drives: Whiteout FR-S MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Valve Spring Recall Dealers

Hi All,

I wanted to know if any of you guys got the recall done and how it went. I thought it would be helpful to have a list of dealerships people recommend in our area.

I haven’t gotten anything done at my local dealerships and have no idea which are good or bad.
AsianStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 02:22 PM   #2
pooch

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S (M/T)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianStyle View Post
Hi All,

I wanted to know if any of you guys got the recall done and how it went. I thought it would be helpful to have a list of dealerships people recommend in our area.

I haven’t gotten anything done at my local dealerships and have no idea which are good or bad.

Dropped mine off and Ourisman Fairfax since I know the service writer, we’ll see how it goes when I get it back, apparently I’m the first one to one to drop my car off for this recall to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 06:55 PM   #3
kmbkk
First 86 Driver Baby!

Drives: FR-S, Flex
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I still haven’t gotten a letter from Toyota. I’m interested as well.
kmbkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 12:56 PM   #4
Bowflex

Drives: Scion FR-S
I got mine done at Toyota in Tysons. It was estimated to be 4-5 days but ended up taking about 2 weeks. They let me pick my loaner. They kept me updated throughout the process.
Bowflex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bowflex For This Useful Post:
AsianStyle (01-27-2019)
Old 01-27-2019, 02:00 PM   #5
AsianStyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowflex View Post
I got mine done at Toyota in Tysons. It was estimated to be 4-5 days but ended up taking about 2 weeks. They let me pick my loaner. They kept me updated throughout the process.
You got a free loaner for the full 2 weeks?

No, issues with the car, so far?
Old 01-29-2019, 08:59 AM   #6
Marcoscrdo

Drives: 13' DGM Built FBM BRZ
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Id be careful where you guys take your car. I heard of people having driving and stalling issues afterwards. Such a pain to deal with..
Marcoscrdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 05:31 PM   #7
rns294

Drives: 13 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Anyone know if it's required in VA to pass emissions? I was reading about people in CA saying it's mandatory to pass since the recall notice says something about emissions systems but I know they are more strict than VA.
rns294 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 02:19 PM   #8
kmbkk
First 86 Driver Baby!

I got my letter a couple of weeks ago and dropped by Priority and Lustine dealers to discuss my options. Priority is willing to do the recall on my car as-is, and not charge additional hours for removing the turbo kit. They’ll also change the plugs for free (of course the I’ll pay for the plugs). I also asked about the clutch and they want to charge 10 hrs labor to change it so I said no thanks. As for Lustine, they won’t touch my car with the kit installed.
The Following User Says Thank You to kmbkk For This Useful Post:
rns294 (02-05-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 01:19 PM   #9
Balf

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Limited 6MT
Got mine done at Sheehy Subaru in Springfield, VA. Dropped it off last Friday and I just got a call today saying it's ready. I do have mods (intake and gruppe-s header) which were not an issue at all. No questions about if it's modified or anything, they just said they would do it and gave me a loaner.

When i first received the mail notice I also called Beyer Subaru in Alexandria, VA and was told they would not do it if the engine had modifications.
Balf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 07:54 PM   #10
Bowflex

Quote:
You got a free loaner for the full 2 weeks?

No, issues with the car, so far?
Yes, loaner for the full 2 weeks. They can't leave you without a car. Toyota pays for the rental. No issues with the car so far. It's been driving fine. I've heard some horror stories online, but I assume Tysons would have some of the best techs.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:35 AM   #11
AsianStyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowflex View Post
Yes, loaner for the full 2 weeks. They can't leave you without a car. Toyota pays for the rental. No issues with the car so far. It's been driving fine. I've heard some horror stories online, but I assume Tysons would have some of the best techs.
Thanks for the update.

One final question do you have any mods on the car? I noticed a couple of posters above mention mods and how some places wouldn't touch the car due to it. I think that would be great info for everyone.
Old 02-07-2019, 01:30 PM   #12
Bowflex

Quote:
Thanks for the update.

One final question do you have any mods on the car? I noticed a couple of posters above mention mods and how some places wouldn't touch the car due to it. I think that would be great info for everyone.
I don't have any engine mods.
Old 02-19-2019, 01:19 PM   #13
kmbkk
First 86 Driver Baby!

Just dropped my car off at Priority in Springfield for the recall. They're replacing the spark plugs at no cost (labor-wise). Said they wouldn't charge me any additional labor for the turbo kit, but we'll see.
Old 02-19-2019, 01:47 PM   #14
Turbo

Drives: FR-S Turbo
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks for the update.

I do not know for sure, but my guess is that this is more of a superficial attempt to get you to take the car elsewhere so they have fewer 'headaches' as opposed to something they can legally do. The recall is government mandated, and I seriously doubt the franchise agreement lets any dealer weasel out of these responsibilities.

I'm not a lawyer, but I also highly doubt they can charge extra for anything additional they have to remove.

To me, the legal argument would be "I never would have modified the car or installed those aftermarket parts if I had known Toyota/Subaru had a manufacturing defect in their engine. An engineering defect which also happens to be very serious from a safety perspective".

I would love to hear actual legal opinions on this -even anonymously or via PM- from attorneys both in the U.S.A. and Canada. Understanding -of course- that they are not dispensing actual legal advice. Just background from an educational perspective.
Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Turbo For This Useful Post:
kmbkk (02-19-2019)