follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 03-25-2014, 02:21 AM   #1
l0aded
Addicted

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Wax Sealant Pad Questions / Care Questions

I am somewhat new to polishing and machine waxing and have a few questions for any veterans. I use a LC black pad from autogeek which claims to have no cut and meant for waxes and sealants. Using a DA polisher at 1000 rpm is it possible to have caused swirls on my paint because of it? I assumed no cut means no way but I noticed a few swirls on my paint today, could it be because of this or is it more likely to have been something else?

I wash my pads with dawn after each wax to make sure they are clean, is this method ok?
Phantom Supercharger | Tsudo Cat-Back Exhaust | K&N Drop-in Filter | Winjet Headlights | Opti-coated | 35/20 Tint | Radar/Dashcam Hardwired | OFT tuned | OEM Audio+ Reference 400CF | Uber Sound Deadened | LED DRL strips | JPM Coachworks Kneepads
l0aded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 02:32 AM   #2
Ec1990

Drives: '14 BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
DA's don't operate in terms of RPM but if you mean speed 1, then it is still possible. It is still turning and if the pad was dirty or there was dirt on the paint it could have picked it up and scratched.

It is more likely that you are focusing on your paint more so you are more attentive to scratches and swirls.

As for Dawn to clean pads it's perfect. I soak mine in the sink for 15-30 minutes after using them then rinse them out thoroughly.
Ec1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 02:47 AM   #3
l0aded
Addicted

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ec1990 View Post
DA's don't operate in terms of RPM but if you mean speed 1, then it is still possible. It is still turning and if the pad was dirty or there was dirt on the paint it could have picked it up and scratched.

It is more likely that you are focusing on your paint more so you are more attentive to scratches and swirls.

As for Dawn to clean pads it's perfect. I soak mine in the sink for 15-30 minutes after using them then rinse them out thoroughly.
Yeah I figured as much. Is it even possible to tell if there are micro bits of dirt on the black pad though? I am a little afraid that dirt may have gotten lodged inside as I hung them to dry and someone may have knocked them on the ground or something.

Also if it picks up dirt would it be localized swirls or would it stay in the pad and swirl the whole car?
Phantom Supercharger | Tsudo Cat-Back Exhaust | K&N Drop-in Filter | Winjet Headlights | Opti-coated | 35/20 Tint | Radar/Dashcam Hardwired | OFT tuned | OEM Audio+ Reference 400CF | Uber Sound Deadened | LED DRL strips | JPM Coachworks Kneepads
l0aded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:19 AM   #4
Ec1990

Drives: '14 BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
It's pretty difficult to see dirt, I keep mine in plastic containers that are closed. It would likely stay in the pad and diminish over time as you polish the car. But washing the pad should clean them right out.
Ec1990 is offline   Reply With Quote