follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 11-16-2016, 02:22 PM   #1
Da Brz

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Oil level on dipstick...

I've been checking my oil and seeing, I think, some drops in my oil level on my dipstick.

Right now, checking it when pulling into a gas station, it's right above the low mark. I imagine letting it sit for 5 minutes or so would bump that up some but that still seems low to me for a new car (18,000 miles).

The dealership has been the ones doing my oil changes (I got a free service plan with the car) so I'm not sure where the oil is when they've topped it off, but I would assume they'd fill it to the top mark?

Anyone else's oil normally run that low?
Da Brz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 02:52 PM   #2
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,285 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
It rarely gets filled to the top mark. As long as it is between the marks all is good. It will indeed go up after sitting a few minutes. It needs to flow back down. If you don't know where it started you certainly can not know if it has dropped.
Old 11-16-2016, 03:34 PM   #3
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,846 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
I'm not sure I agree with this statement.

The distance between the two marks is one quart. When I do an oil change and fill with 5.8q, the oil level is shown at the top mark when the car is on level ground and the engine is cold. Thus, the level of oil in the pan is being accurately shown on the dipstick.

I semi-regularly check the oil level and if it's at the half way point, I'll add a half quart to bring it back up to the full mark.

I don't understand the owner manual's suggestion of checking the oil level when refueling at a gas station, as the engine will be hot with a fair amount of oil stuck up in it, so the level shown on the dipstick at that time will not be giving you an accurate representation of the amount of oil in the pan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
It rarely gets filled to the top mark. As long as it is between the marks all is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 03:47 PM   #4
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipdat View Post
I'm not sure I agree with this statement.

The distance between the two marks is one quart. When I do an oil change and fill with 5.8q, the oil level is shown at the top mark when the car is on level ground and the engine is cold. Thus, the level of oil in the pan is being accurately shown on the dipstick.

I semi-regularly check the oil level and if it's at the half way point, I'll add a half quart to bring it back up to the full mark.

I don't understand the owner manual's suggestion of checking the oil level when refueling at a gas station, as the engine will be hot with a fair amount of oil stuck up in it, so the level shown on the dipstick at that time will not be giving you an accurate representation of the amount of oil in the pan.
The point I was making was that if you don't know where it started (he said as much) then you don't know how far it has moved if at all. It doesn't have to be to the top mark to be OK and we don't know if it started there or not. Wasn't trying to say it is OK to drive around with low oil.
Old 11-16-2016, 03:51 PM   #5
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Ok sorry, my mistake. I took the bold and italicized portion of your original comment out of context.

Yes, if he is checking the level while the engine is hot, then it's definitely OK for it to not be at the top mark.

...Which goes back to my confusion of why the manual recommends checking while hot... It doesn't seem to be of any value to check while hot haha.

Quote:
The point I was making was that if you don't know where it started (he said as much) then you don't know how far it has moved if at all. It doesn't have to be to the top mark to be OK and we don't know if it started there or not. Wasn't trying to say it is OK to drive around with low oil.

Quote:
I'm old and lazy
Old 11-16-2016, 03:55 PM   #6
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Brz View Post
The dealership has been the ones doing my oil changes (I got a free service plan with the car) so I'm not sure where the oil is when they've topped it off, but I would assume they'd fill it to the top mark?
Usually, they fill it up to the top mark.

Some remarks ...

You should have a hot engine when you're checking. Additionally, you'll need to wait at least 5 minutes. If you are measuring immediately, then a lot of the oil is still inside the engine. In general, modern engines burn some oil. This is by design.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 04:01 PM   #7
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipdat View Post
Actually this is better practice.

If you check when the engine is warm, you are fine as far as oil level as long as it is between the marks since there's enough oil in the pan for purposes of engine protection.

If you check when the engine is cold, you may end up below one of the marks when the engine is warm.

Some people make the mistake of checking oil when cold, and thinks it's okay to have it between the marks when cold. The owner's manual avoids this problem by having you check when the engine is hot, so as long as it is above the low mark you have enough oil for the engine.

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (11-16-2016)
Old 11-16-2016, 04:07 PM   #8
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
Usually, they fill it up to the top mark.

Some remarks ...

You should have a hot engine when you're checking. Additionally, you'll need to wait at least 5 minutes. If you are measuring immediately, then a lot of the oil is still inside the engine. In general, modern engines burn some oil. This is by design.
You can tell how much oil is blown by with a catch can. Burnt oil is... well... burnt.
Old 11-16-2016, 04:15 PM   #9
Da Brz

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
The point I was making was that if you don't know where it started (he said as much) then you don't know how far it has moved if at all.

This is true. I didn't check it right after they gave it back to me. But I did start checking it periodically a few weeks ago and back then it seemed to be more at the halfway mark. So while I may not know where it was when they did the oil change, I do believe it's dropped some since checking it a few weeks ago.

Really, there's not much to say until I get the oil changed again this weekend and I can start again and have a better benchmark.

I do try to check it in similar conditions each time.

I was just hoping maybe it was a common thing for the oil to be that low with these cars and everyone could tell me not to worry, lol.
Da Brz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Da Brz For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (11-16-2016)
Old 11-16-2016, 04:18 PM   #10
Tcoat

Quote:
This is true. I didn't check it right after they gave it back to me. But I did start checking it periodically a few weeks ago and back then it seemed to be more at the halfway mark. So while I may not know where it was when they did the oil change, I do believe it's dropped some since checking it a few weeks ago.

Really, there's not much to say until I get the oil changed again this weekend and I can start again and have a better benchmark.

I do try to check it in similar conditions each time.

I was just hoping maybe it was a common thing for the oil to be that low with these cars and everyone could tell me not to worry, lol.
If no spots on the ground where you park the car then you are not pissing it out and all is good. I take my oil changes right to the longest mile and have never even moved it on the dipstick so unless you are tracking or really giving it hell there should not be any huge change in levels between changes.
Old 11-16-2016, 06:08 PM   #11
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Interesting, I did not consider it from this perspective. Thank you, sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
Some people make the mistake of checking oil when cold, and thinks it's okay to have it between the marks when cold. The owner's manual avoids this problem by having you check when the engine is hot, so as long as it is above the low mark you have enough oil for the engine.
-alex

Quote:
I'm old and lazy
Old 11-16-2016, 10:18 PM   #12
MuseChaser
Feeling like thinking....

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,433 Times in 1,064 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
I've had three oil changes done at the local dealership (Toyota) so far. In every case, they've overfilled it, and my level reads a good 1/2" above the "high" mark. The bill always reads "6 quarts of 0w20 full synthetic." The car doesn't take 6 quarts. Granted, they probably wouldn't bill for 5.5 or 5.8 (or whatever the car actually takes.. I forget off the top of my head). The last time I went in, I specifically asked them not to overfill it. Sure enough... same thing... 1/2" over. Oh well. Any problems are their problems until July of 2019 or 100,000 miles. I tried.

My levels haven't moved appreciably between oil changes, even with cam coverplate leaks (seems to be fixed on the second dealer's attempt. Funny story... the last time I had them fix it, the tech said that the repair wasn't done properly the first time and wanted to know where I had it done. It was fun saying.. "I had it done here.").
MuseChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 11:34 PM   #13
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,858 Times in 16,438 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
This is true. I didn't check it right after they gave it back to me. ...........
I make it a practice of checking the oil level after an oil change, before I drive it off the lot. Why?

* to find out if in fact, they did change the oil

* to make sure they put oil in the car

* to determine how much oil they put in the car

I also mark the old filter, so I can make sure it was changed.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
geezerbrzeezer (11-18-2016), guybo (11-17-2016)
Old 11-17-2016, 03:12 AM   #14
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
You can tell how much oil is blown by with a catch can. Burnt oil is... well... burnt.
Exactly
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote