follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Hawaii

Hawaii Aloha!

User Tag List

Old 02-13-2013, 03:43 PM   #29
jstn

Drives: '15 Vortech Supercharged
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by travace View Post
yea the sound is embarrassing... "hey check out my car..... CHIRP CHIRP CHIRP"
No shit. People keep asking me if I have a fucked up belt somewhere or something.
jstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:31 AM   #30
jek127

Drives: Jonny - Hot Lava FRS [AT]
So I went to Kaneohe Toyota today and the rep that I got told me the TSB didn't apply to my car isn't acceptable because it's out of the vin # range and shouldn't affect my car. I stared at him blankly and said.."but it does. The problem is still there". he said that I would have to schedule a separate appointment for it.

I'm thinking I might just ignore it and leave it alone. Since my car isn't in the vin range he made it seem as though the fuel pump replacement would be on MY dime.
jek127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:11 AM   #31
Crackseed
Island Style Noob

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S [Ultramarine]
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jek127 View Post
So I went to Kaneohe Toyota today and the rep that I got told me the TSB didn't apply to my car isn't acceptable because it's out of the vin # range and shouldn't affect my car. I stared at him blankly and said.."but it does. The problem is still there". he said that I would have to schedule a separate appointment for it.

I'm thinking I might just ignore it and leave it alone. Since my car isn't in the vin range he made it seem as though the fuel pump replacement would be on MY dime.
That's still not acceptable. The chirp IS an issue and is still occurring on newer cars. Even if the VIN isn't in the range, it's obvious Toyota/Scion hasn't quite nailed the issue down.

You could check at the Mapunapuna Scion as when I spoke with them they both said "It shouldn't happen on your car but if it does, just bring it in and we will work on it per the TSB" so, you might have more luck there?
Crackseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:44 AM   #32
suaveflooder

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,052 Times in 664 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackseed View Post
That's still not acceptable. The chirp IS an issue and is still occurring on newer cars. Even if the VIN isn't in the range, it's obvious Toyota/Scion hasn't quite nailed the issue down.

You could check at the Mapunapuna Scion as when I spoke with them they both said "It shouldn't happen on your car but if it does, just bring it in and we will work on it per the TSB" so, you might have more luck there?
This. Picked up my car last week with six miles. Noticed the chirp the second day with less than 100 miles on the odometer. Still a problem
suaveflooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:37 PM   #33
markmatley
Shipping to Hawaii?...

Drives: '13 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I love my crickets under the hood at idle...then when I floor it they're all growling like Cujo!

It makes people take a second look at the car. =P

But I am trying to see if any additive would work to fix this. I just gave the car some Chevron fuel injector cleaner additive, and will try to listen to it more often today. I may have to gas up with no ethanol and see if the combo works too.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:08 PM   #34
SkullWorks
Banned

Drives: SSM LT MT BRZ
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmatley View Post
Yep, it's the high pressure fuel pump. Not really high pressure, but that's what they say. I don't mind the crickets and chirping and whatever extra noises the car makes. Part of being a boxer owner to hear all the mechanical nuances.
High pressure is realy the only way to describe a 200BAR capable fuel system buddy, not sure what to tell you...most fuel systems are 45-90PSI the DI pump underhood bumps pressure to 14.7x200 or 2940PSI, so yes really it is High Pressure.

Also FYI, the fact that it is a boxer has absolutely positively NOTHING to do with the fact that it chirps, in fact the only "boxer" noises that differ from a normal Inline motor is the exhaust note which is in large part due to the fact that most have unequal length exhaust paths due to the engine configuration.

Thanks for the use"full" post
SkullWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:45 PM   #35
Rougenite

Drives: Raven FR-S
Your tone is a little 'off' makes you sound like a total tool.

Its actually 14.5, not .7. Go ahead, check it.
Rougenite is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rougenite For This Useful Post:
SkullWorks (02-20-2013)
Old 02-19-2013, 07:50 PM   #36
markmatley
Shipping to Hawaii?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullWorks View Post
High pressure is realy the only way to describe a 200BAR capable fuel system buddy, not sure what to tell you...most fuel systems are 45-90PSI the DI pump underhood bumps pressure to 14.7x200 or 2940PSI, so yes really it is High Pressure.

Also FYI, the fact that it is a boxer has absolutely positively NOTHING to do with the fact that it chirps, in fact the only "boxer" noises that differ from a normal Inline motor is the exhaust note which is in large part due to the fact that most have unequal length exhaust paths due to the engine configuration.

Thanks for the use"full" post
Simmer down..my response was referring to what our dealership has told me. They are specifically stating that the noise (chirps) are from the high pressure pump. Sorry for the confusion on whether or not a high pressure pump is high pressure. Sentence structure error on my part.

As for the boxer engine noises, note I said all mechanical nuances...This means a sum of all the parts and their respective nuances (which includes sounds).

There are enough people here that are perturbed with the crickets, and some might say our crappy gas, and we (you and I) don't need to inflame it more than needed.

Cheers for the pressure specs and more detailed info on our high pressure pumps.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:51 PM   #37
markmatley
Shipping to Hawaii?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rougenite View Post
Your tone is a little 'off' makes you sound like a total tool.

Its actually 14.5, not .7. Go ahead, check it.
Besides that point, he did bring up useful pump specs for those who didn't know of it or cared for it until now. :happy0180:
Old 02-19-2013, 10:41 PM   #38
Shipwreck
Fanboy

Drives: Firestorm FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by suaveflooder View Post
This. Picked up my car last week with six miles. Noticed the chirp the second day with less than 100 miles on the odometer. Still a problem

I was the same way I got the chirps with less then 100 miles on it. doesnt relly bother me but I still want it fixed
Shipwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:48 PM   #39
Rougenite

Drives: Raven FR-S
0o i must be super lucky then, the only noice i get is from the tranny, gotta change that fluid out .
Rougenite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:43 AM   #40
Crackseed
Island Style Noob

Garage
Broke 500 miles today - no chirping yet. So it does seem to be hit or miss per car but I'll definitely keep listening for it.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:29 AM   #41
Sigh-on-Rice
Waited 5 years for this

Drives: '18 MX-5 Club
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackseed View Post
Broke 500 miles today - no chirping yet. So it does seem to be hit or miss per car but I'll definitely keep listening for it.
I think that's because you filled up with non-ethanol gas.
Sigh-on-Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:30 AM   #42
Crackseed
Island Style Noob

Garage
Well, I'm hoping that we can fine-tune and help to figure out why some people aren't getting it vs others getting it. I sympathize with the owners who are annoyed by the sound and even more so when they are doing everything possible to use quality gas, etc. and still having the issue.

It just seems to be completely random sometimes as I believe Jek noted he's using chevron premium [ethanol though] same as Rougenite but one has chirps, the other doesn't.

If non-ethanol is potentially one of the ways to really avoid the chirps, it's just good reporting to keep people posted. If chirps start on my car, then we'll know non-ethanol is obviously not the silver bullet.

Tags
engine chirping