follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Southwest

Southwest AZ, NM, NV, OK, TX, UT

User Tag List

Old 10-14-2015, 06:01 PM   #1
Zubit

Drives: 15-BRZ/65-Fastback
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Austin/San Antonio Monthly Meet

Helloes! Let us make this all official and stuff...

Mission Statement
The general purpose of this is to invite people to get together, talk, share memories, and enjoy a drive together. Whether you drive an AE86, FT86, or another vehicle - all are welcome. The driving location will be split between Austin, Texas and San Antonio, Texas on a monthly basis. The drive is a spirited/enthusiast drive.

What Not to Do
Do not be a show off and don't discourage drivers from wanting to attend. Do not do burnouts or rev your engine purposely while waiting.* Do not be careless while driving. This is NOT a race, do not treat it like one. If you are reckless while driving you will not be invited to future events. Do not exceed your driving capability nor push it.
*If someone asks you to rev your engine while parked do not go above 3,000RPMs.

Leads // There is Room
@Zubit - I'm huge on safety.

Interested?
If anyone is curious about how the event runs, attending, have questions, etc... I encourage you to ask here or in the Facebook groups for SATX86Club and Austin 86 Club. You will not be shunned away if it is your first time attending one of these nor will you be called out for being slower than others. The drive will be at various speeds from fast, moderate, to slow. However, if someone is being a bit of a tard on on the road - when we stop - address it. If you do not feel comfortable addressing it inform the lead of the group and he/she will talk to the individual. We're a community, we are here to help each other, and we're here to make sure everyone has an enjoyable time and makes it back safe.

If there is anything you want to know, am curious of, whatever you feel you need to ask - by all means ask it. My hope is that the members here that have attended any of the previous events will answer your questions about how the drive goes. My own opinion, being a lead, it is not my place as I control the pace of the group. What matters more is how those who attended viewed the event and what they took away from it.

Austin // San Antonio
Location: Fox's Pizza Den, 1551 North Walnut Avenue, New Braunfels, TX 78130
Date: 30 OCT 2016 // 0830 meet up // 0900 Start
Route: https://goo.gl/maps/bZajFvHzvrw

5 DEC - Second Austin/San Antonio Meet in Austin // Photo Credit: @Jollibee86

===Previous meets/photos===
27MAR16 - Fredericksburg Meet/Cruise (Route: Fredericksburg)
@Zubit - http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=47
2JAN16 - Austin Meet/Cruise Photos (Route: Twisted Sisters)
@Zubit - http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=39
5DEC - Austin Meet/Cruise Photos (Route: https://goo.gl/maps/Vbc1uT7iYvC2)
@trumpet_bro - http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=26
@Jollibee86 - http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=27

Last edited by Zubit; 10-27-2016 at 08:23 PM.
Zubit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Zubit For This Useful Post:
Extreme86 (10-16-2015), TEWwild (10-14-2015), weederr33 (10-14-2015), zombieite (03-16-2016)
Old 10-14-2015, 06:24 PM   #2
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,586 Times in 2,928 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I'm in! Just not gonna have time for the run, but I'll show up to mingle for a bit!

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 07:39 PM   #3
Zubit

Okay, bam, updates and a photo for the post now. It's from my trip in California though so don't have any bias please. That trip is actually one of the huge factors to creating this post. Hard parking game is real here >_O I'm pretty sure I'm one of a limited few who has put on 13,000 miles in three months of ownership... heh... heh...
Old 10-16-2015, 10:54 PM   #4
Extreme86
Live Free, Drive Hard

Drives: 13 BRZ, 19 WRX, 10 GMC, 20 RAV4
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Garage
@Zubit Wish I could make it but, have other plans on Sunday. Next time for sure!
Old 10-17-2015, 09:50 PM   #5
Jyn
Noob

Drives: FR-S Mammogram
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Will be in Houston for Wekfest that day, but I was in San Antonio today for SASCA AutoX

Great idea!
Old 10-18-2015, 03:09 PM   #6
Zubit

So, it was just TEWwild and myself that showed up. We hung around until about 0914ish and took off. Roads were pretty empty for the most part. Instead of doing the full sisters we ended up going from FM335 to 41 to 55 and down... that and some bikers played a role in that too. But! The route 55 change up was pretty good. It's a nice break that allows you to turn at some speed instead of the constant braking.

I suppose we will have to see what the turnout is for Austin when the time comes.
Old 10-19-2015, 10:13 AM   #7
Jyn
Noob

You will have more feedback if you post on the facebook groups: SATX 86 Owners Club and Austin 86 Club.
Old 10-19-2015, 02:14 PM   #8
wjr1991

Drives: 2015 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Unfortunately, I couldn't make it yesterday, I had previous engagements. I'll try and make the November meet!
@Zubit Nice to know I'm not the only one to put on 13k in three months!
wjr1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 06:22 PM   #9
Zubit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyn View Post
You will have more feedback if you post on the facebook groups: SATX 86 Owners Club and Austin 86 Club.
Already put a post up in the SATX 86 group - not a lot of feedback. The only group I have noticed that is huge on that is Houston so far. Austin/SA are both relatively dead. I have come to find out that the average driver here does not want to do anything but drive their car for the their daily activities.

My own opinion - there is a gap that exists within the car community here (specifically mentioning the eightsixers). You have the group of people who just care about the appeal of the car and drive it for daily functions // you have the group that enjoy driving the car (enthusiasts). Enthusiasts vary from person to person. You've got the people who modify their car and track it/hard park it. There are some who do the same; however, they also enjoy drives away from everything (if that makes sense). Then, you have the hard parkers who just do it for the style. We can agree that some people do it for the drive, style, or horsepower.

Regardless of the above - the average person here, in Texas, just drives their car for daily activities and nothing more. When one attempts to bridge that gap and converse and create a friendship one is often met with "nope." As to why? Who knows, everyone is different. I've left various notes on cars with my name and number on it asking that if they feel like doing a nice drive or just hanging out to let me know. Those end terribly as only one person has actually contacted back. Not saying you should do that, but I do it because I want to drive my car with people that also drive a twin.

I will say I do have an issue with people who do it for the style. That is personal preference though. If I own it, I drive it. That is the whole point, no? If the point was to stare in awe and wonder then I would have just bought a model. Again, opinion though. I was raised driving vehicles... so if it runs I will drive it. I drove my Fastback for three months because I had no other vehicle. When I had two I drove that on the weekends. Why own it if I'm not going to use it for what it is designed to be used for? I understand everyone feels differently about it and that is just my opinion. I will not speak ill of you for just style; however, it does bother me. I can appreciate what has been done, but it destroys me on the inside a little bit to learn that it's not actually driven the way it is supposed to be driven. It's like keeping something caged it's entire life and not allowing it to have moments of freedom and release from the restraints that bind it.

And I rambled of course I did... Please do not take my personal view the wrong way - it is an opinion - and I'm just not fond of hard parking. It is great to create friendships, but one seeks more than just a monthly event to sit and talk. Thus, I attempt to bridge that and invite people on the drives I will be doing with the hopes that more than just me will attend and enjoy a drive. It's always better with more than just one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjr1991 View Post
Unfortunately, I couldn't make it yesterday, I had previous engagements. I'll try and make the November meet!
@Zubit Nice to know I'm not the only one to put on 13k in three months!
No worries. I'll have to start looking at roads in the near future to drive. Whenever I find some and route it I will post a date and a meet place if you want to do a dry run during the weekend. As long as I'm in Texas I will do my best to keep it going so one has to hope that, indeed, Austin is more active. I do not know though - this is a new thing to me. But, if you want to do it and you have buddies who want to drive (they just do not own an Eight Six) they're more than welcome to come along.
Old 10-20-2015, 03:30 PM   #10
Jyn
Noob

Houston group is big/close. Austin group is growing, but 2 "leaders" don't really do much. San Antonio group used to be really active, but like you said are pretty quiet this past year.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:24 PM   #11
Zubit

I'll be active so anyone ever wants to do anything that is close to here I'm pretty much game. I'm going to be gone for four months in Jan-Apr this year though. I just got my course reservation so I will be gone. I will have to ask the guy I'm talking to in Austin to take over for organizing if all goes well. I won't say who it is until I can ask him about it. If the answer is yes then I can still update the post with whatever routes are posted I just won't be able to scout/lead.

Side note: Timing goes both ways on that part. But I was definitely not expecting that to happen this soon... it was looking more like two years from now.

I'll be making another trip to California after my course is over to spend time with the guys out there. I should be back to organize the APR event... which... should fall in... time to look at a calendar here... San Antonio again. But if anyone wants to drive out to California to visit and drive back more than welcome to. I'm hoping to spend three weeks, maybe four, out there prior to driving back to Texas. If someone is interested in that I can post the dates as it comes later in the year.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:32 PM   #12
Zubit

For those interested in doing the scouting run, and possibly providing more roads, the meet up will be Kerbey Lane Cafe @ 0800-0830 on Saturday 14NOV.
Kerbey Lane Cafe: 13435 US-183 #415, Austin, TX 78750

We do have a route planned out; however, it is subject to change. If someone just wants to show up and chat prior to the drive it is encouraged. The main post has been updated to reflect the scouting time/location.
Old 11-18-2015, 12:16 AM   #13
trumpet_bro

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ HyperBlue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zubit View Post
For those interested in doing the scouting run, and possibly providing more roads, the meet up will be Kerbey Lane Cafe @ 0800-0830 on Saturday 14NOV.
Kerbey Lane Cafe: 13435 US-183 #415, Austin, TX 78750

We do have a route planned out; however, it is subject to change. If someone just wants to show up and chat prior to the drive it is encouraged. The main post has been updated to reflect the scouting time/location.
I just saw this thread I'll be out of town on the 28th but am interested in future meetups. Just got my BRZ and have been driving it a ton but I haven't taken it to any track or autocross runs... yet
trumpet_bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 05:35 PM   #14
Zubit

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpet_bro View Post
I just saw this thread I'll be out of town on the 28th but am interested in future meetups. Just got my BRZ and have been driving it a ton but I haven't taken it to any track or autocross runs... yet
I understand it is thanksgiving weekend. I might push it back to the first weekend of December.