follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 07-30-2015, 01:20 PM   #1
neroman98

Drives: 2014 Scion FRS Track Build
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
300HP Jackson Supercharged BRZ

I'm trying to build a 300HP BRZ at a reasonable cost. I've decided that I want to supercharge it because the predictable power provided by a supercharger will make the car easier to control in canyons than a turbocharger. That being said, I've done a lot of research and have decided on the Jackson Racing Supercharger. If you can make an argument for Vortech being superior to Jackson, I would be happy to listen, but from what I've read, Jackson is overall better. Delicious Tuning in SoCal said they could tune a Jackson Racing Supercharged BRZ to 275 WHP. That's almost there. Any advise to get the extra 15 HP on 91? My OCD is pushing me to figure out how to make an even 300. Also if you recommend parts such as pullies to up the power, give me some recommended brands. Thanks guys
Also I'm pretty new to the aftermarket world seeing as the only aftermarket thing I've ever done or had done to my cars is I installed a permanent AUX cord into one of my cars... So a description of what some of the parts to increase my HP actually do would be much appreciated.
neroman98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 01:24 PM   #2
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
Try getting ACE EL long tube headers, go catless and I can see you getting close. But then you have to go back to stock for your stupid SMOG laws in California
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 01:46 PM   #3
MisterSheep
Killed Scion

Drives: 2013 FR-S Whiteout
Thanked 7,307 Times in 4,485 Posts
Mentioned: 334 Post(s)
Tagged: 185 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by go_a_way1 View Post
Try getting ACE EL long tube headers, go catless and I can see you getting close. But then you have to go back to stock for your stupid SMOG laws in California
In california you dont have to smog a new car until it's 5 years old. With that being said if a CHP officer pulls you over for "loud exhaust" he can require you to get your car smogged. But with Jackson Racing supercharger you can get a CARB legal one with the sticker which will get you to pass smog when they open your hood. Going catless is the only thing to worry about and just keep your stock exhaust system handy for when the smog day comes.

Anyways, OP, I dont think with the supercharger you can get a 300whp flat with 91. Maybe with better gas and full catless exhaust. Tune will be your best bet. Maybe 93? or e85. Dont forget to upgrade your brakes when you go higher power! good luck with your quest to 300whp
Originally Posted by KR-S 86 View Post
What are you talking about? You just killed one of the worst brands in history according to enthusiasts. People will be worshipping you like sheep.
MisterSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 01:49 PM   #4
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSheep View Post
In california you dont have to smog a new car until it's 5 years old. With that being said if a CHP officer pulls you over for "loud exhaust" he can require you to get your car smogged. But with Jackson Racing supercharger you can get a CARB legal one with the sticker which will get you to pass smog when they open your hood. Going catless is the only thing to worry about and just keep your stock exhaust system handy for when the smog day comes.

Anyways, OP, I dont think with the supercharger you can get a 300whp flat with 91. Maybe with better gas and full catless exhaust. Tune will be your best bet. Maybe 93? or e85. Dont forget to upgrade your brakes when you go higher power! good luck with your quest to 300whp
Good to know! I come from a magic place where we have no SMOG laws I know nothing about those laws haha!
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 01:51 PM   #5
MisterSheep
Killed Scion

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by go_a_way1 View Post
Good to know! I come from a magic place where we have no SMOG laws I know nothing about those laws haha!
What are you talking about? You just killed one of the worst brands in history according to enthusiasts. People will be worshipping you like sheep.
Old 07-30-2015, 02:03 PM   #6
neroman98

Drives: 2014 Scion FRS Track Build
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSheep View Post

I don't think any of my local stations sell 93 and there's a station about 30-45 minutes away that sells e85 but I probably will only get that on special occasions haha. And are you saying that with the supercharger I will get a sticker that says its CARB legal and so they will think it is even though the exhaust isn't?
neroman98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 02:28 PM   #7
kch
Senior Misanthrope

Drives: 2015 BRZ Series.Blue CWP
Thanked 1,168 Times in 645 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by neroman98 View Post
I'm trying to build a 300HP BRZ at a reasonable cost. I've decided that I want to supercharge it because the predictable power provided by a supercharger will make the car easier to control in canyons than a turbocharger. That being said, I've done a lot of research and have decided on the Jackson Racing Supercharger. If you can make an argument for Vortech being superior to Jackson, I would be happy to listen, but from what I've read, Jackson is overall better. Delicious Tuning in SoCal said they could tune a Jackson Racing Supercharged BRZ to 275 WHP. That's almost there. Any advise to get the extra 15 HP on 91? My OCD is pushing me to figure out how to make an even 300. Also if you recommend parts such as pullies to up the power, give me some recommended brands. Thanks guys
Also I'm pretty new to the aftermarket world seeing as the only aftermarket thing I've ever done or had done to my cars is I installed a permanent AUX cord into one of my cars... So a description of what some of the parts to increase my HP actually do would be much appreciated.
Probably not gonna happen on 91. It was a big deal when a guy here in the local club hit 300 on E85.
kch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 02:29 PM   #8
tahdizzle
So elite I'm 1338

Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,934 Times in 982 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Garage
Exhaust is a Sound modification. It doesn't tamper with any emission components.
Old 07-30-2015, 02:58 PM   #9
MisterSheep
Killed Scion

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by neroman98 View Post
I don't think any of my local stations sell 93 and there's a station about 30-45 minutes away that sells e85 but I probably will only get that on special occasions haha. And are you saying that with the supercharger I will get a sticker that says its CARB legal and so they will think it is even though the exhaust isn't?
I would look more into the Jackson Racing supercharger. There's a thread on here that tells everything about it. Theres 2 different models, the tune it yourself which comes only jackson racing supercharger the other one comes with ecutek and a off the shelf tune for stock parts, its also CARB legal. Once you tune it with ecutek and a tuner, add full catless exhaust and see where you're at after that. If you get smogged with full catless exhaust you wont pass emissions due to the fact you have no cats. But thats easily reversable with just putting on your old stock exhaust.
Old 07-30-2015, 03:00 PM   #10
MisterSheep
Killed Scion

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahdizzle View Post
Exhaust is a Sound modification. It doesn't tamper with any emission components.
Depends. Catback.. maybe, once you replace headers and cats then they will not pass you unless you have a CARB sticker. You'll fail visual. If you pass visual and then get a smog you can still fail due to the fact that you're aftermarket exhaust might be exhibiting too much emmissions.
The Following User Says Thank You to MisterSheep For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (07-30-2015)
Old 07-30-2015, 03:12 PM   #11
f0rge
head of infinite swagger

Drives: 2013 FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Garage
IMO i wouldn't push for "numbers". Numbers are only good for internet bragging and when you're sitting on the side of the road with a hole in the block you're going to wish you had gotten a nice conservative tune.
2013 Ultramarine FR-S 6MT - Car Journal - SOLD
2004 AlpineWhite M3 6MT - SOLD
f0rge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to f0rge For This Useful Post:
10Stars (08-02-2015), MisterSheep (07-30-2015), soulreapersteve (08-03-2015), strat61caster (07-30-2015), Tcoat (08-03-2015)
Old 07-30-2015, 03:18 PM   #12
MisterSheep
Killed Scion

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by f0rge View Post
IMO i wouldn't push for "numbers". Numbers are only good for internet bragging and when you're sitting on the side of the road with a hole in the block you're going to wish you had gotten a nice conservative tune.
^^^^^
Old 07-30-2015, 03:25 PM   #13
ryoma

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
keep in mind that you might make the numbers on a dyno, but after real-world use the power might go down due to heat soaking, engine temps, altitude, etc. and different dynos read differently. dyno numbers on the same dyno are for tuning mainly

also, if you modify anything in regards to the cat (even an aftermarket header w/ cat is illegal AFAIK) then you will fail visual. I haven't smogged a newer car yet, but I heard that they no longer dyno your car and instead use an OBD2 plug to raise the engine RPM's to test emissions and check for codes. if you get a more lenient station, they might pass you on the visual if you have modified your cats or removed them, but you will still fail the emissions unless you go through a backdoor. I think if you get a catted header or catted front pipe (or both) all you need is to find a more lenient station that will pass your visual. your emissions SHOULD be good enough to pass. I have no idea if anyone has tried it though. and of course get a tune to erase your cat efficiency CEL

btw, cat backs are legal. you just can't touch the cats

as for the CARB sticker, it has a specific ID number on it and once the tech types that into their database, it pulls up the smog exception. it will clearly state what the sticker covers. so if you have a full exhaust, the sticker won't mention it and just say it covers the supercharger. that's how I understand it with the way it was explained to me.
Old 08-01-2015, 08:35 AM   #14
industrial
Add lightness!

Drives: 17' WRX
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Why don't you go kraftwerks, upgrade to high boost pulleys and upgrade the fuel system?
industrial is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aftermarket, mods, speed, supercharger, tuner