follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List

Old 08-05-2021, 09:07 PM   #1
Ryuken

Drives: Subaru BRZ STI Cool Grey Khaki
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question 18x9.5 +38 on 245/35/R18 - Stock Coils

Hi All,
I recently bought a Rays 57CR 18x9.5 +38 to put on my Subaru BRZtS 2019/2020 Cool Grey Khaki

Originally, I was going to run a 255/35/R18 (Potenza RE003) with Silver Neomax S for BRZ/86.

However, I'm hearing/reading that 245/35/R18 should work with no clearance issues if I'm still on stock coils/struts

Now, I'm thinking of running 245/35/R18 (Yokohama Advan Fleva V701) with WHITELINE F AND R COIL SPRINGS LOWERED - SUBARU BRZ/TOYOTA 86

My questions are :
Will it fit properly with no clearance issues.
Will it stretch a bit? (If so, i wouldn't mind)
Recommendations for tyres if Yokohama is not good?

Thank you in advance!
Ryuken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 09:31 PM   #2
meWant

Drives: '16 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Hiya Ryuken and welcome to the forum.

As far as your fitment is concerned, I have similar wheel specs at 18x9.5 with a +35 offset on a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S and clearance is pretty tight behind the wheels.

Suspension wise, I am lowered on RaceComp Yellows and stock stocks, you might be able to get away with the wheel size that you've ordered but with minimal clearance. I would definitely go with a 245 rather than a 255 section tire though to help fit the wheels to the car. Maybe expect some slight rub as well
meWant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 09:18 PM   #3
Ryuken

Quote:
Originally Posted by meWant View Post
Hiya Ryuken and welcome to the forum.

As far as your fitment is concerned, I have similar wheel specs at 18x9.5 with a +35 offset on a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S and clearance is pretty tight behind the wheels.

Suspension wise, I am lowered on RaceComp Yellows and stock stocks, you might be able to get away with the wheel size that you've ordered but with minimal clearance. I would definitely go with a 245 rather than a 255 section tire though to help fit the wheels to the car. Maybe expect some slight rub as well
Thank you @meWant!
Yeah, i'm leaning to 245/35 at the moment - are you running the same tyres?
Might run Yokohama AF V701 or Michellin PS4 as well
I also got told to roll my guards? but yeah, will be expecting slight rub as long as it doesn't ruin anything else.

I'm pretty new to modding cars and doing some research too! Really appreciate the help
Old 08-10-2021, 12:18 PM   #4
meWant

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuken View Post
Thank you @meWant!
Yeah, i'm leaning to 245/35 at the moment - are you running the same tyres?
Might run Yokohama AF V701 or Michellin PS4 as well
I also got told to roll my guards? but yeah, will be expecting slight rub as long as it doesn't ruin anything else.

I'm pretty new to modding cars and doing some research too! Really appreciate the help

Oops realized I forgot to mention tire size. But yes I am currently running 245/35/18 PS4s tires. They currently have a slight stretch on them but I don't feel any rubbing at full lock when turning or going over bumps.

I may go wider eventually whenever I go to aftermarket coilovers instead of just being lowered on springs.

As far as rolling the fenders, I haven't done anything of that sort and still good. I'll try to get some pics for you and link them here soon
Old 08-10-2021, 07:52 PM   #5
Ryuken

Quote:
Originally Posted by meWant View Post
Oops realized I forgot to mention tire size. But yes I am currently running 245/35/18 PS4s tires. They currently have a slight stretch on them but I don't feel any rubbing at full lock when turning or going over bumps.

I may go wider eventually whenever I go to aftermarket coilovers instead of just being lowered on springs.

As far as rolling the fenders, I haven't done anything of that sort and still good. I'll try to get some pics for you and link them here soon
Sweet!
Thanks again @meWant and yes if you can show me some pics that'll be great!
Looks like I'm locked in for 245/35/18 with Whiteline or Eibach lowered springs
Old 08-11-2021, 01:13 AM   #6
Pluse

Drives: 2014 Toyota GT86 6AT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I've got the same wheel with all stock suspension on 235/40/18 Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tires. This is the clearance you will have with -0°45' camber, which is the limit from factory. Should have no issues if your alignment is within factory spec. I have camber bolts installed but had no luck gaining any additional negative camber past factory values without rubbing on the spring. Hope this helps
Attached Images

Pluse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pluse For This Useful Post:
meWant (08-12-2021)
Old 08-12-2021, 12:05 AM   #7
meWant

Garage
Quote:
Sweet!
Thanks again @meWant and yes if you can show me some pics that'll be great!
Looks like I'm locked in for 245/35/18 with Whiteline or Eibach lowered springs
here's some fitment pictures. Pluse has a good idea of the clearance in his picture

Again my car is lowered on RaceComp Engineering Yellows (springs)
Old 08-18-2021, 06:36 PM   #8
APEX Race Parts
FT86Club Official Vendor

Drives: Launch-Year Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
We also make an 18x9.5" wheel with a similar offset, and we highly recommend running aftermarket coilovers that have a slimmer silhouette in comparison to stock. Not only will this give you the proper clearance needed, you will also be able to leverage the wider wheel width by running 255/35-18 (or for those with significant power 265/35-18).

Note that mewant is running a 9.5" ET35, so he is going to have an extra 3mm of strut clearance in comparison to you with an ET38. It sounds like pulse has the same wheel specs as you, however, they are running an even slimmer 235 tire. Rubbing plastic fender liners under compression or at full lock is not the end of the world, but you don't want your wheel or tire making contact with your spring or lower spring perch at speed.

It is also important to note that any negative camber dialed in (which you'll want for fender side clearance) via camber bolts will further diminish the clearance between the wheel/tire and strut - and you don't have any room to give here. This is why adjustable camber plates are a better solution, as they offer a broader range of camber and they do not compromise inner strut clearance.

- Ryan

Last edited by APEX Race Parts; 08-18-2021 at 06:54 PM.
APEX Race Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to APEX Race Parts For This Useful Post:
meWant (08-19-2021), Wally86 (08-19-2021)
Old 10-18-2021, 07:30 PM   #9
Ryuken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluse View Post
I've got the same wheel with all stock suspension on 235/40/18 Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tires. This is the clearance you will have with -0°45' camber, which is the limit from factory. Should have no issues if your alignment is within factory spec. I have camber bolts installed but had no luck gaining any additional negative camber past factory values without rubbing on the spring. Hope this helps
Hey @Pluse!

Is it too stretched or just slight?
I was also considering a 235/40/18 RE003 or Dragon Sport for my 18x.95 +38

I just received my Whiteline Lowered Springs!
Apologies for the late reply!
Old 11-03-2021, 12:42 PM   #10
APEX Race Parts
FT86Club Official Vendor

Drives: Launch-Year Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Hey @Pluse!

Is it too stretched or just slight?
I was also considering a 235/40/18 RE003 or Dragon Sport for my 18x.95 +38

I just received my Whiteline Lowered Springs!
Apologies for the late reply!
It will be noticeably stretched. More track oriented tires that run a bit wider size for size will lessen the issue compared to an all season. Here's a pic I found to give you an idea of the look:

-Ian
Attached Images

APEX Race Parts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
18x9.5+38, australia, brz, fitment