follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-27-2020, 06:17 PM   #29
Joveen
Senior Member
 
Joveen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Drives: Bone stock
Location: Windsor, CT
Posts: 741
Thanks: 507
Thanked 223 Times in 156 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
Build pause- following months of an odd rattle at certain RPM and random VVT issues, my timing chain broke.
What tha heck man... Sorry to hear that

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Joveen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joveen For This Useful Post:
DarkPira7e (02-27-2020), mrg666 (03-01-2020)
Old 02-27-2020, 10:02 PM   #30
DarkPira7e
Yes, my car does run!
 
DarkPira7e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Location: Vermont
Posts: 3,550
Thanks: 2,780
Thanked 3,538 Times in 1,797 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joveen View Post
What tha heck man... Sorry to hear that

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
It's life! I'll get over it it's because they gave me a used engine after they blew my original engine up twice for the recall
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 11:11 AM   #31
DarkPira7e
Yes, my car does run!
 
DarkPira7e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Location: Vermont
Posts: 3,550
Thanks: 2,780
Thanked 3,538 Times in 1,797 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
The money burning begins!
Purchased my first exhaust for the car after owning for 4 years- the FT86Speedfactory x Remark quad tip 3" catback. I wanted so badly to go single exit with the Greddy RS, but I just don't have the exterior swag to pull it off (I'm not even lowered)

With this, I bought torque solutions engine mounts, and new hangers for the exhaust.

I also purchased a new GT3076R with the .82ar housing in 4 bolt 3" outlet. I'll be having VEMS can a new downpipe for me. I still plan to use the cxracing intercooler and manifold.

Spent money on a used car so that I can build the FRS right-






2002 Civic LX in a 5 speed from out west, no rust! It has 190,000 miles and I plan to run it until the odometer runs out of numbers.

More updates when parts arrive, I know everyone loves pix.
Unsure what clutch I want. I plan to get DSS axles and bigger wheels/tires to support around 400whp. Trying not to resolve problems that aren't problems yet though.

Also updated thread title; this no longer could be considered budget by any stretch of the imagination

Last edited by DarkPira7e; 03-26-2020 at 11:28 AM.
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
BrahmaBull1990 (05-11-2021), Dzmitry (08-19-2020), Joveen (03-26-2020)
Old 03-26-2020, 08:18 PM   #32
Joveen
Senior Member
 
Joveen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Drives: Bone stock
Location: Windsor, CT
Posts: 741
Thanks: 507
Thanked 223 Times in 156 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Do it!! Might as well go all in on that engine. Get all the goodies. Since the transmission is out get the verus carbon synchros.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Joveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 08:55 PM   #33
DarkPira7e
Yes, my car does run!
 
DarkPira7e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Location: Vermont
Posts: 3,550
Thanks: 2,780
Thanked 3,538 Times in 1,797 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Update!

I had a GT3076R that I was going to use, but I changed my mind- a smaller turbo will help me capitalize on torque all around rather than betting on torque in the later power band.
I chose a Boostlab BL-5858 with a bullet wheel. Same turbo frame I had, much better CHRA and wheel designs.

Also cleaned up my pulleys and some other hardware.
Attached Images
    
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 09:00 PM   #34
Joveen
Senior Member
 
Joveen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Drives: Bone stock
Location: Windsor, CT
Posts: 741
Thanks: 507
Thanked 223 Times in 156 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Very inexpensive turbo. Why this over a gt2860rs?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Joveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 09:43 PM   #35
DarkPira7e
Yes, my car does run!
 
DarkPira7e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Location: Vermont
Posts: 3,550
Thanks: 2,780
Thanked 3,538 Times in 1,797 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joveen View Post
Very inexpensive turbo. Why this over a gt2860rs?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
It would be a ton more work to fit the larger 3076r, and the 2860rs is smaller than I'd like. This turbo will have the top end I'd like without the fuss of changing my downpipe or intercooler location.
I've seen a lot of the Boostlab turbos, they're well built and reliable as anything else. Worst comes to worst I'm out $850 right?
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
Joveen (08-18-2020)
Old 08-19-2020, 08:56 AM   #36
Dzmitry
Senior Member
 
Dzmitry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Limited with PP
Location: Phildalphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 876
Thanks: 1,839
Thanked 552 Times in 356 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
The money burning begins!
Purchased my first exhaust for the car after owning for 4 years- the FT86Speedfactory x Remark quad tip 3" catback. I wanted so badly to go single exit with the Greddy RS, but I just don't have the exterior swag to pull it off (I'm not even lowered)

With this, I bought torque solutions engine mounts, and new hangers for the exhaust.

I also purchased a new GT3076R with the .82ar housing in 4 bolt 3" outlet. I'll be having VEMS can a new downpipe for me. I still plan to use the cxracing intercooler and manifold.

Spent money on a used car so that I can build the FRS right-






2002 Civic LX in a 5 speed from out west, no rust! It has 190,000 miles and I plan to run it until the odometer runs out of numbers.

More updates when parts arrive, I know everyone loves pix.
Unsure what clutch I want. I plan to get DSS axles and bigger wheels/tires to support around 400whp. Trying not to resolve problems that aren't problems yet though.

Also updated thread title; this no longer could be considered budget by any stretch of the imagination
A little late on this but just wanted to say love this gen civic as a backup car, I got the same one as my second daily to the BRZ. Reliable to death. Had an 04 LX manual that I bought for 1k, was indestructible at 260k mi until a 50 ft tree fell with the heaviest part of it right dead center on the hood (Funny enough, when i managed to pry the hood open, the engine was untouched with just a few things bent out of place and the air filter cracked). Bought an 02 LX manual a couple months back to replace it, drives like a champ!
Dzmitry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dzmitry For This Useful Post:
DarkPira7e (08-19-2020)
Old 08-19-2020, 09:15 AM   #37
DarkPira7e
Yes, my car does run!
 
DarkPira7e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Location: Vermont
Posts: 3,550
Thanks: 2,780
Thanked 3,538 Times in 1,797 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzmitry View Post
A little late on this but just wanted to say love this gen civic as a backup car, I got the same one as my second daily to the BRZ. Reliable to death. Had an 04 LX manual that I bought for 1k, was indestructible at 260k mi until a 50 ft tree fell with the heaviest part of it right dead center on the hood (Funny enough, when i managed to pry the hood open, the engine was untouched with just a few things bent out of place and the air filter cracked). Bought an 02 LX manual a couple months back to replace it, drives like a champ!
My only gripe is the transmission input shaft bearing is going, which apparently is a common issue with these. Just makes loud scary noises, hasn't affected everything. And the clutch pedal squeak is nuts! Not even white lithium grease can silence this beast.
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
Dzmitry (08-19-2020)
Old 08-19-2020, 09:39 AM   #38
Dzmitry
Senior Member
 
Dzmitry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Limited with PP
Location: Phildalphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 876
Thanks: 1,839
Thanked 552 Times in 356 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
My only gripe is the transmission input shaft bearing is going, which apparently is a common issue with these. Just makes loud scary noises, hasn't affected everything. And the clutch pedal squeak is nuts! Not even white lithium grease can silence this beast.
Lol! I had that issue on the 04, thought the shaft was definitely going soon after I bought it (as it already had the issue), but it lasted me a year and a half before the car was crushed and was still going strong. And yes hahaha, though my squeak has been fairly tame.
Dzmitry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dzmitry For This Useful Post:
DarkPira7e (08-19-2020)
Old 08-26-2020, 11:23 PM   #39
randing
Member
 
randing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Drives: 2015 FR-S
Location: LA
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks for documenting this. The big brand kits are beautiful and well crafted, but you're proving it doesn't have to be expensive big brand stuff to make good power.
randing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 11:27 PM   #40
DarkPira7e
Yes, my car does run!
 
DarkPira7e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Location: Vermont
Posts: 3,550
Thanks: 2,780
Thanked 3,538 Times in 1,797 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by randing View Post
Thanks for documenting this. The big brand kits are beautiful and well crafted, but you're proving it doesn't have to be expensive big brand stuff to make good power.
It really doesn't. People over complicate turbo kits- it's not expensive to have exhaust that doesn't leak, but polishing turds can get old- you're paying for someone else to do the polishing before you get it when you spend big $ on a nice kit. Sometimes the luxury is nice- I just prefer the road less traveled, even at my own expense.

I am not getting the JDL manifold, I'm sticking with what I've got- it works well enough, though I am having the flex sections taken out and replaced
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 11:41 PM   #41
randing
Member
 
randing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Drives: 2015 FR-S
Location: LA
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
It really doesn't. People over complicate turbo kits- it's not expensive to have exhaust that doesn't leak, but polishing turds can get old- you're paying for someone else to do the polishing before you get it when you spend big $ on a nice kit. Sometimes the luxury is nice- I just prefer the road less traveled, even at my own expense.

I am not getting the JDL manifold, I'm sticking with what I've got- it works well enough, though I am having the flex sections taken out and replaced
I'm probably going to follow your lead and piece together a kit using some nicer parts, but not shelling out $5k for a turn key setup.
randing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to randing For This Useful Post:
DarkPira7e (08-26-2020)
Old 08-27-2020, 12:18 AM   #42
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER
 
Clipdat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Drives: Family Sedan
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 7,301
Thanks: 6,152
Thanked 6,023 Times in 3,236 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Bump for updates.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Tags
brz, frs, iag, jdl, turbo

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Joel's BRZ - Low Budget Time Attack Build DIY Member's Car Journals 392 11-25-2022 10:12 PM
Cxracing turbo problem Kalebhall Forced Induction 10 11-16-2017 08:57 AM
Tony's Budget Turbo Build glorydays Member's Car Journals 22 01-26-2015 12:02 AM
My boosted build...on a budget PineappleFriedRice Member's Car Journals 95 08-17-2014 10:29 PM
Aznsky's budget STX build Aznsky Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting 13 05-12-2014 09:44 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2022 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.