follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 07-25-2018, 10:23 AM   #1
iff2mastamatt
Feeling Iffy?

Drives: it like I stole it
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Android Auto Issues 2018 BRZ starlink infotainment system

As a very proud owner of a 2018 Limited BRZ, I was excited to use the built in Android Auto functionalities built into the Subaru Starlink system. At first, it worked fantastically and I could use other apps such as Waze and Spotify.

Recently, I've had had connection issues with my Galaxy S8. The application will load, then suddenly crash after plugging in to the USB port. I've used different USB cables, and I've tried both ports to no avail. Has anyone else been experiencing this issue with Android Auto on the BRZ?
iff2mastamatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 10:41 AM   #2
Trueweltall

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I've never had Starlink work on my car with two different android phones.
Trueweltall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 12:34 PM   #3
rvoll

Drives: 2018 BRZ Limited, 2017 Sportage
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iff2mastamatt View Post
As a very proud owner of a 2018 Limited BRZ, I was excited to use the built in Android Auto functionalities built into the Subaru Starlink system. At first, it worked fantastically and I could use other apps such as Waze and Spotify.

Recently, I've had had connection issues with my Galaxy S8. The application will load, then suddenly crash after plugging in to the USB port. I've used different USB cables, and I've tried both ports to no avail. Has anyone else been experiencing this issue with Android Auto on the BRZ?
Initially it didn't work and it was a cable issue. Surprisingly, that cable did work in another car. I went to a high quality cable and all is fine now. I don't know if the problem is the conductivity of the cable or the port connection points. Fortunately, I have a bunch of micro-USB cables to try. By the way, the same thing happened with my USB drive. I had to transfer my music to a much newer USB drive for it to work properly. I do think it is a port issue having to do with newer connection standards.
rvoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 01:16 PM   #4
wolffbite
Just the tip

Drives: 2017 DGM BRZ
What version of android is your phone running at? Android 8.0 is known to completely break android auto. Some phones with the 8.1 update have been fixed, but I had to roll my phone back to 7.X to make it work again because that update was not available for me yet.
wolffbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 04:01 AM   #5
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trueweltall View Post
I've never had Starlink work on my car with two different android phones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvoll View Post
Initially it didn't work and it was a cable issue. Surprisingly, that cable did work in another car. I went to a high quality cable and all is fine now. I don't know if the problem is the conductivity of the cable or the port connection points. Fortunately, I have a bunch of micro-USB cables to try. By the way, the same thing happened with my USB drive. I had to transfer my music to a much newer USB drive for it to work properly. I do think it is a port issue having to do with newer connection standards.

I'd contact your dealer and see if theres a firmware update available to flash just in case by the way. These android auto powered head units are having alot of firmware updates pushed lately.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 09:50 AM   #6
iff2mastamatt
Feeling Iffy?

Garage
Thank you all for the helpful responses! I scheduled an appointment at my local Subaru dealer to see if they can diagnose the issue this Friday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolffbite View Post
What version of android is your phone running at? Android 8.0 is known to completely break android auto. Some phones with the 8.1 update have been fixed, but I had to roll my phone back to 7.X to make it work again because that update was not available for me yet.
I am using Android 8.0 so that may be the issue. Unfortunately I cannot update it to 8.1 yet otherwise I would have tried so.
Old 08-01-2018, 11:33 AM   #7
wolffbite
Just the tip

Drives: 2017 DGM BRZ
Quote:
Thank you all for the helpful responses! I scheduled an appointment at my local Subaru dealer to see if they can diagnose the issue this Friday.

I am using Android 8.0 so that may be the issue. Unfortunately I cannot update it to 8.1 yet otherwise I would have tried so.
Good luck! I hope for your sake it is not an android software issue, as downgrading a phone can be a real pain.
wolffbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 08:41 AM   #8
iff2mastamatt
Feeling Iffy?

Garage
Quick update: I brought my BRZ into my local dealer and didn't have any luck there. There were no new updates for the infotainment system and I had the latest version of Android auto at the time running on Android 8.0.

I was about to reset my phone after abstaining from Android auto usage for about two weeks, and after the latest Android auto update this week on my phone app the system works seamlessly now. Although I'm happy it works now, I was very dissatisfied with the experience and I don't use the app nearly as often anymore. Android auto was a selling point for me personally with the 2018 model but given it's mediocre screen resolution, terrible Bluetooth voice quality, and Android auto issues, I think I would have been better off with a '17 limited with an aftermarket infotainment system. All is well now, but a brand new car shouldn't have these issues.
Old 08-15-2018, 11:14 AM   #9
rvoll

Drives: 2018 BRZ Limited, 2017 Sportage
Quote:
Quick update: I brought my BRZ into my local dealer and didn't have any luck there. There were no new updates for the infotainment system and I had the latest version of Android auto at the time running on Android 8.0.

I was about to reset my phone after abstaining from Android auto usage for about two weeks, and after the latest Android auto update this week on my phone app the system works seamlessly now. Although I'm happy it works now, I was very dissatisfied with the experience and I don't use the app nearly as often anymore. Android auto was a selling point for me personally with the 2018 model but given it's mediocre screen resolution, terrible Bluetooth voice quality, and Android auto issues, I think I would have been better off with a '17 limited with an aftermarket infotainment system. All is well now, but a brand new car shouldn't have these issues.
I use Android Auto in several cars and aside from a cable issue in my 18 BRZ, most of the problems were in the phone app, not the car system. Phone updates have solved most of the car issues. Evidently, each phone is slightly different so it may work great on my LG, but you may have problems with your Galaxy. Screen resolution is low, but it is low on all systems -- even aftermarket. The built-in nav system is fine for most trips. The only time I use Android Auto is when I'm concerned about traffic or road closures -- it does a better job there. The internal system does have better screen resolution.

That said, the back-up camera is the worst I have experienced both in quality and features. It doesn't have good night resolution, has a fairly narrow view, and doesn't have directional lines that move with your steering wheel.
rvoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 06:27 AM   #10
iff2mastamatt
Feeling Iffy?

Garage
Looks like I have spoke too soon, and the head unit will charge my phone but will not boot Android Auto at all (again)... Should I contact Subaru customer service directly? The dealership couldn't help me last time either so I'm reluctant to go to them.
Old 09-27-2018, 12:02 PM   #11
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,004 Times in 1,452 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
I would factory reset the radio/head unit if you have that option.
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 02:44 PM   #12
tehShirt

Drives: 2014 Subaru Forester
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Garage
I don't have the 2018 HU, but I have an aftermarket Pioneer with AA and a Galaxy S7. With the stock radio and two different Pioneer units, the S7 has been problematic. At this point, I attribute the issues to something on Samsung's end. My Motorola and Sony phones haven't had issue with any of these radios.

Regarding the resolution when using Android auto; If you enable the developer options in AA, there are options to allow higher resolution modes. With my Pioneer radio, AA would default to a lower resolution than the radio supported, resulting in a blurry/washed out look. I'd check that option and see if it improves your AA experience visually.
tehShirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 05:00 PM   #13
Chuckls
Moutain Runner

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
my 2018 tS (which uses the next Gen Starlink) has these issues as well. It's kind of an annoyance.
Chuckls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 06:15 PM   #14
JonAvalon
SCBYD0

Drives: 18 BRZ (WRB)
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
It's going to be with something with Android / on Samsung's end. I have a S9 for work that I've tested on my 18 HU and it works but have had issues before. Mainly with trying to use OBD2AA (Torque plug-in) for Android Auto. I do have a spare S8 in my desk somewhere that I can try out but it has 7.0 installed. I'll see if I can get around to putting 8.0 on it to test.