follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 09-21-2012, 10:16 AM   #15
JPxM0Dz
F Z1LLA

Drives: Lexus IS-F Series 2
Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,246 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoomers View Post
Mine is one the way and I have an AT. I hope there won't be any surprises. BTW, did you guys have to cut anything for the rear bar?

Rear mat required a small piece to be trimmed away on either side of the bar. If I had to guess, I would say the piece I notched out was roughly 2" x 3"
It does require some patience for rear bar install, unlike the front bar.
zoomzoomers (09-21-2012)
Old 09-21-2012, 01:39 PM   #16
zoomzoomers

Drives: 2013 Subaru SWP BRZ Limited 6AT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'm holding off on the rear strut bar indefinitely for now. In my experience the rear has been overkill. Especially for street use only.
Man Law#17:A man in the company of a hot, seductively dressed, woman MUST remain sober enough to fight!

MODS: AVO tubes + filter, Cusco (F) strut brace w/ MC brace, Perrin CBE, Subaru OEM trunk tray, Grimmspeed front license re-locator & hood struts and Beatsonic rear cam.
zoomzoomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:51 PM   #17
JPxM0Dz
F Z1LLA

Garage
Quote:
I'm holding off on the rear strut bar indefinitely for now. In my experience the rear has been overkill. Especially for street use only.

Yeah I agree, but it looks so sexy!
sbxjap (11-01-2012)
Old 09-21-2012, 06:45 PM   #18
RallySport Direct

Drives: 2014 Widebody Cosworth FR-S
Thanked 1,198 Times in 554 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Did you trace where those wires go? I'm assuming that it is for the AT, but now I'm curious.

-Zach
RallySport Direct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:47 PM   #19
zoomzoomers

I tried. It originates from the driver side firewall and goes to the top what looks like the top of the auto transmission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallySport Direct View Post
Did you trace where those wires go? I'm assuming that it is for the AT, but now I'm curious.

-Zach
Man Law#17:A man in the company of a hot, seductively dressed, woman MUST remain sober enough to fight!

MODS: AVO tubes + filter, Cusco (F) strut brace w/ MC brace, Perrin CBE, Subaru OEM trunk tray, Grimmspeed front license re-locator & hood struts and Beatsonic rear cam.
The Following User Says Thank You to zoomzoomers For This Useful Post:
CircuitJerk (09-23-2012)
Old 09-25-2012, 10:55 PM   #20
zoomzoomers

Ok, I just installed the Cusco front strut tower bar w/ the master cylinder brace. Got a few questions and an issue...

1. Doesn't the car need to be lifted to unload the struts and then the bolts tightened? I remember being told to do this for my other strut tower bar installs in the past.

2. The red button that braces the master cylinder isn't attached to the bolt that pushes against it. Isn't there a chance that the vibration from the car/motor will loosen the bolt and the red button come loose and lost? Makes me a little nervous seeing it like that. What have you guys done for it? Have you seen signs of any loosening? Issues?

3. I hand tightened the strut tower nuts. How hard do you need to tighten these?

4. How hard/tight do you need to brace the master cylinder?

5. I dropped, and lost, one of the washers that goes on the 8mm allen bolt that holds the tube to the strut towers. Anyone got an extra? Without it the bolt just spins free.

Otherwise, the strut tower bar looks awesome. I'll let you guys know how it feels/results once I get some seat time with it complete.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:29 PM   #21
RallySport Direct

Drives: 2014 Widebody Cosworth FR-S
Thanked 1,198 Times in 554 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Ok, I just installed the Cusco front strut tower bar w/ the master cylinder brace. Got a few questions and an issue...

1. Doesn't the car need to be lifted to unload the struts and then the bolts tightened? I remember being told to do this for my other strut tower bar installs in the past.

2. The red button that braces the master cylinder isn't attached to the bolt that pushes against it. Isn't there a chance that the vibration from the car/motor will loosen the bolt and the red button come loose and lost? Makes me a little nervous seeing it like that. What have you guys done for it? Have you seen signs of any loosening? Issues?

3. I hand tightened the strut tower nuts. How hard do you need to tighten these?

4. How hard/tight do you need to brace the master cylinder?

5. I dropped, and lost, one of the washers that goes on the 8mm allen bolt that holds the tube to the strut towers. Anyone got an extra? Without it the bolt just spins free.

Otherwise, the strut tower bar looks awesome. I'll let you guys know how it feels/results once I get some seat time with it complete.

1. I have heard this before somewhere, but I never bother to do it, as I figure the main point of the bar is just to tie the towers together to prevent movement, and once the bar is on, it will do just that regardless of the chassis load during the install.

2. I made sure ours was plenty snug, and then gave it another quarter turn to almost press the master cylinder into the firewall, I felt that was good enough and nothing was going anywhere lol.

3. Those will be 14.5 ft/lbs

4. I did not notice any torque specs, but according to my Rick hand-Torqueometer I would say 30ish Ft/lbs is what I did ours to.

5. I am assuming this is the lock washer correct? If so you should be able to pick one up from your local hardware or auto parts store

I dropped the nut when doing ours and spent a good 20 minutes fishing it out from the undertray lol.

Thanks,
Rick
RallySport Direct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:44 PM   #22
JPxM0Dz
F Z1LLA

Garage
1. No just install on a level surface
2. Just crank it nice and tight
3. Tighten them nice and tight. Don't go crazy using your body weight. Tighten them as much as you can by hand, then give them a good half turn or better with rachet
4. See number 3, but tighten a full turn or better with rachet
5. Take the existing washer you have and go match it up at your local hardware or automotive outlet

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-26-2012, 01:03 AM   #23
zoomzoomers

Thanks guys for the quick replies. Makes me feel better.

So all of you guys haven't seen the MC brace nuts get loose after regular use of your cars?

Old 09-26-2012, 02:39 AM   #24
JoeBoxer

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Thanked 1,627 Times in 997 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Do all strut braces require modification on AT cars or is only because of the master cylinder brace? Sorry i didn't read the thread thoroughly it's late lol.
JoeBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:44 AM   #25
zoomzoomers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBoxer View Post
Do all strut braces require modification on AT cars or is only because of the master cylinder brace? Sorry i didn't read the thread thoroughly it's late lol.
Yes, but it's really not a big deal. All you have to do is unscrew a bracket and re-route a wire.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:48 AM   #26
Ravenlokk

Drives: 2013 Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks guys for the quick replies. Makes me feel better.

So all of you guys haven't seen the MC brace nuts get loose after regular use of your cars?
Mine's still tight after a few hundred km driving.
Ravenlokk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:25 PM   #27
jumbaco

Drives: FD
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
you should raise the car and take the load off the strut towers. Install and torque bolts down then lower the car on the wheels. This will put more tension on the bar. Especially important on strut bars that don't have an adjustable preload feature.
jumbaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:56 AM   #28
CircuitJerk
Pull my finger...

Drives: Silver Scion Slushbox
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBoxer View Post
No. As you stated it is due to the MC brace on this particular product.
CircuitJerk is offline   Reply With Quote