follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 08-24-2020, 03:18 PM   #1
prizmracer

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ 50th anniversary
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Kenwood dnx997xr install questions

Hello All,

Long time lurker first time questioner.

I just mostly installed a new kenwood head unit. I have a 2018 BRZ 50th anniversary (I believe its a premium). I had a few loose ends I’m trying to tie up. If anyone could help I would appreciate it.

1. Do I need to connect the starlink wire? I’m not sure I ever clicked that icon in 2 years of having the stock head unit.

2. Is there anyway to keep the stock GPS antenna? I’m not sure if there is an adapter available. I’m also not sure there is any benefit to using the stock over the new one.

3. Basically the same question but with the Satellite radio. I’m guessing I need a receiver. So the stock unit must have had the xm receiver built in?

Thank you!
prizmracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 01:46 PM   #2
prizmracer

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ 50th anniversary
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by prizmracer View Post
Hello All,

Long time lurker first time questioner.

I just mostly installed a new kenwood head unit. I have a 2018 BRZ 50th anniversary (I believe its a premium). I had a few loose ends I’m trying to tie up. If anyone could help I would appreciate it.

1. Do I need to connect the starlink wire? I’m not sure I ever clicked that icon in 2 years of having the stock head unit.

2. Is there anyway to keep the stock GPS antenna? I’m not sure if there is an adapter available. I’m also not sure there is any benefit to using the stock over the new one.

3. Basically the same question but with the Satellite radio. I’m guessing I need a receiver. So the stock unit must have had the xm receiver built in?

Thank you!
Here is what I ended up doing:

1. I gave up on Starlink, the last vestige of my highly flawed subaru stock headunit is gone. Doesn't seem to make any difference as starlink funstionality was basically no existent in the 2018 subaru anyway.

2. Yes you can kee the stock GPS antenna with the toyota gps retention kit. From idatalink

3. Same as above. I did need to buy a new siriusxm decoder

Last edited by prizmracer; 08-31-2020 at 04:53 PM.
prizmracer is offline   Reply With Quote