follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine Swaps

Engine Swaps Discussion of engine swaps.

User Tag List

Old 09-14-2020, 10:03 PM   #1
LSX_Corolla

Drives: 1983 LSX Corolla Wagon; 2017 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Steering rack relocation

With my TSS crossmember, the engine mounts have two mounting holes - an upper and lower. With the lower hole used (keeping the engine higher) everything bolts up great. If i want to use the upper hole (placing the entire engine an inch lower) the steering rack is too tall and will interfere with the oil pan... Has anyone relocated their rack 1" down, and would there be any downside to that? I realize the outer tie rods will more than likely have to be adjusted, but would this affect any geometry or create any weird handling effects? Does anyone make a kit to space a factory rack down from stock position?
Old 09-16-2020, 02:53 PM   #2
TRS

Drives: 2013' Toyota 86 (EU spec)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Sikky offers excentrical bushings for a slight lowering, but I think not even close to 1".

This beeing said, Im not quiet sure if I understand your attempt. With the applicable oil pan options the LS sits pretty much as far down to the crossmember as possible. Any more and there will be no room for crank rotating over the crossmember. I think there is less than 1" between upper edge of the 86 crossmember and the crank Rotation circle when using a GTO pan and placing it with 3-4mm distance to the crossmember hight wise. (assuming we talking about a LS based engine taking your User name into consideration)

Edit: Forget my question. Just realized you are not using the OEM subframe. Still, sikky makes "relocation" bushings for the steering rack.
TRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 10:09 PM   #3
LSX_Corolla

This might help...Yes, this isn't the stock X member, but you can see how the physical rack mounts are on the bottom of the rack, and where they mount to the member it will put it up into the pan. I can make an adapter I was more curious about the geometry. I figured the swap section would be better to ask about this rather than the Chassis because I dont think a stock engine car would ever have to worry about this.
Old 09-17-2020, 03:38 AM   #4
TRS

Hmm, good question. I could imagine bumpsteer could be a serious issue, especially if the car is lowered in addition. Maybe you find a way to exchange the tie rod ends to something like the whiteline bumpsteer correction kit, but even longer, so you get down the connection point to the wheel hub by the same distance as you change the rack position. No idea if there is something like that available on the market.

OT: how much lower is the pan compared to that front cross beam seen on your picture? Seems like the pan will nearly scrape the street. This is a very deep Position for the engine! Im very curious how this will turn out, also concerning transmission postioning.
Old 09-17-2020, 10:33 PM   #5
LSX_Corolla

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRS View Post
OT: how much lower is the pan compared to that front cross beam seen on your picture? Seems like the pan will nearly scrape the street. This is a very deep Position for the engine! Im very curious how this will turn out, also concerning transmission postioning.

In this position I'd say it may be a 1/2" lower than the entire frame assembly around the steering area. With it mounted in the lower holes it's above everything.

This is the way it is now - keep in mind, this is an Escalade motor so it has truck drive and still fits behind the X member with no trimming. I still plan on going to a vette or camaro drive as I plan to run an 88-92MM turbo in front.

I had the trans in on the other hole, but havent gotten around to it sitting lower. This is the bell housing on it now, looking down the tunnel...

and this is both in the car when it was moved to the lower holes - they were also not moved all the way back towards the firewall. Spitsnaugle gott the TSS measurement from my car and it was appx 70MM, but in the upper hole (lower engine, I can get it all the way to 45MM.

Old 09-18-2020, 06:29 AM   #6
TRS

Ok, very interesting! Assuming the 70mm is left head to firewall I believe the trans and bell Do not fit the tunnel without some mods on the tunnel as long as you are in the upper position, correct? How do you manage the longitudinal adjustment of the engine? Are there multiple holes in the engine mounts to?

Nice work so far. I was also thinking about FI by BiTurbo, but since it is hard to fullfill everything to get the car street legal even without FI this could get tricky. Theres room enough for a Turbo on each side, also for the intercooler and Routing to and from it I have a concept. But my issue is that I have no room left for Filters and frech air tubing. At least not without modifications on the chassis and crossmember, what would be a nearly 100% nogo for street usage in Germany.
Old 09-18-2020, 07:23 AM   #7
LSX_Corolla

Quote:
Ok, very interesting! Assuming the 70mm is left head to firewall I believe the trans and bell Do not fit the tunnel without some mods on the tunnel as long as you are in the upper position, correct? How do you manage the longitudinal adjustment of the engine? Are there multiple holes in the engine mounts to?

Nice work so far. I was also thinking about FI by BiTurbo, but since it is hard to fullfill everything to get the car street legal even without FI this could get tricky. Theres room enough for a Turbo on each side, also for the intercooler and Routing to and from it I have a concept. But my issue is that I have no room left for Filters and frech air tubing. At least not without modifications on the chassis and crossmember, what would be a nearly 100% nogo for street usage in Germany.

Yes, the measurements are for the driver side head. With the engine in upper position you are limited, with it lower you cn get it father back, but you run into the rack issues. The mounts that mount to the engine block have slotted holes - that's where the longitudinal adjustments come from.

Where are you located in Germany? I visited Munich and Mittttenwald a few years back!Very cool place, all of my family comes from there.
Old 09-18-2020, 04:11 PM   #8
TRS

Im living near Chemnitz/Saxony. Outer east pretty much. I had a job near in a small town east of Munich for about two years during my studies. Small world...

BTT: Wouldnt it be a good Chance, if you mount the engine that low, to use a SC instead of a Turbo? I could imagine that this would turn out easier as long as you have the necessary space in hight. Also you have the space for the long SC pulley with that rack. It should be same length as Vortech spacing while utilizing corvette spacing for main and AC belt.
Old 09-20-2020, 09:51 PM   #9
LSX_Corolla

Quote:
Im living near Chemnitz/Saxony. Outer east pretty much. I had a job near in a small town east of Munich for about two years during my studies. Small world...

BTT: Wouldnt it be a good Chance, if you mount the engine that low, to use a SC instead of a Turbo? I could imagine that this would turn out easier as long as you have the necessary space in hight. Also you have the space for the long SC pulley with that rack. It should be same length as Vortech spacing while utilizing corvette spacing for main and AC belt.

TSS that made the X member built it originally for a car that had an LSA blower on it, that why it sits lower than most others... I just like turbos better, they seem to be more efficient, plus I plan on doing a rear mount radiator set up to help w space, too.