follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Northern California

Northern California NorCal

User Tag List

Old 10-17-2018, 01:38 AM   #1
Bonburner
6/22/12-2/6/24

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S M/T Argento
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
The Driveway (Shout Out)

I wanted to give a shout out to these guys because they're pretty awesome and they're having an event this Sunday 10/21/18 from 12-3.

Yelp: https://www.yelp.com/biz/the-driveway-san-jose

My review is on yelp, but I wanted to add to it - I started working on my spark plugs and I got tools stuck in the spark plug tunnel. I gave them a call and wondered how much a tow would be, but they just asked for my address so they can take a look and see if they could do anything before trying for a tow.

They were working on an Evo already so they told me they would come later in the afternoon. Well I managed to get past my tool getting stuck (wrench to hold back the 14 mm socket in the chamber while I pulled on the extension), they were still willing to drop by when I told them I was working on my last spark plug.

These guys might not have actually done any work on my car, but the fact that they were willing to get the extra (5) miles to come by and see how wit was going on my spark plugs really meant a lot to me.

They gave great prices and they're super chill.

Their mechanic really goes the extra mile, he consolidated all my remaining fluid in the bottles for me without me asking.

I can't attest to their repair work as I haven't had to do any, but I'm sure they got a good guy for that stuff.

2020/06/27 Update: These guys helped me out again. This time with Dayco serpentine belt, EBC Yellowstuff brake pads, Eneos Racing Street oil, and LiquiMoly Ceratec!
They have some Euro customers that live and preach by Ceratec so I thought I'd give it a try.

The combined Ceratec with the Eneos Racing Street is wild. The engine is ridiculously smooth (the change in smoothness is akin to Mobil1 to Idemitsu Zepro, except I've been using Zepro).
I think the Ceratec added viscosity back into the oil so the engine's revs don't drop as quickly (caught me by surprise)? I don't think the rev slowing speed is to a bad level though. Overall, I would recommend people to try out the Ceratec. It's pretty awesome feeling how smooth the engine feels (although some of that could be the Eneos Street Racing, which I'm also a big fan of because the specs are amazing).

I also didn't like how the PowerStop pads felt so I threw in some EBC Yellowstuff

Last edited by Bonburner; 06-27-2020 at 08:38 PM.
Bonburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 12:04 PM   #2
Nero_tDriveway

Drives: 2009 M3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thank you for the Shoutout!
Nero_tDriveway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 01:57 PM   #3
Simpleviet
Right Foot Flat

Drives: Asphalt Lucille
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
For 25th of November 2018

I shopped around and reached out to several different places for an autoshop...I read many reviews and called to find out prices, how long, and what they're schedule is like. The yelps schedule are old and wrong...google reviews knows the autoshop correct schedule. I was looking for an autoshop that has worked on several 86s... I learned a lot of autoshops worked on week days..I can't go to any of them due to how far my job is by the time I come home and try to go to any of the autoshops, its heavy traffic hahaha. I wanted a peace of mind that it will be done right. By pure luck and curiosity, I decided to check on the forum, ftclub86, I saw a post under Norcal and this began a magical moment for my 2013 Asphalt Scion FRS to be refined a bit.

What my car will be worked on;

1. AP Racing Sprint Big Brake Kit.
2. Spiegler SS Brake Lines installed on 4 wheels
3. Change Brake Fluid, RADI-CAL™ R1
4. Oil and Filter Change, Mobil 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy and Toyota Filter

We chatted through Yelp and discussed about price and to schedule an appointment on 8th of December. Lucky for me and I'm very grateful that they opened on Sunday to help me out! I appreciate them so yes I'm definitely being baised about it... Plus it made my girlfriend very happy hahaha...Anyways I spoke with Kevin who helped schedule an appointment on Sunday via texting as I was on a light rail heading towards San Francisco to the AT&T Sprint Stadium to do a Spartan Race Sprint in order to earn my Spartan "Trifecta". Which I did finish and got my Spartan Trifecta under 2 months. We scheduled for 2PM Pacific.

Sunday arrived and I was getting ready to drive to their place. They were few miles away from my home and I got a little bit lost as I was confuse to where they were as I followed google maps. I parked at some spot. There were no signs about them. Lucky for me, a fancy looking mean machine light grey car rolled by and parked few parking spots away from me. Two gentlemen came out of the car. Kevin was the passenger who came by to greet. I was assured, I was at the right spot. Kevin drove my car into their garage and parked on-top of this blue car lift made of steel perhaps? Well..I wish I had that in my own garage! I grabbed the parts out of my car with the help of Kevin and Mike(Mechanic) and Mike who began to organize the parts how he wanted to set up and prepare for the great change!

It was definitely cold, I was still sore from the Spartan Race. Kevin offered me to spend time in the room to play a car racing game in a fancy car like simulator with racing seats and wheel as a controller. However I declined.

I wanted to hang out with the mechanic, Mike, to watch him how he does things and ask few questions to understand and why he does it. I wanted to learn and see. He was all right with me watching. I appreciate, he lets me watch. Mike is definitely passionate about working on cars as he explain since he was little he's been working on them. He passionately talks about driving and gave some advice when he tracked his car. I don't know too much about cars the mechanics and the terms to say or use...I know, I love to drive and I have a fiery passion for it.

Mike, removed the lugnuts on all the weels, removed the tires, remove the front brakes, installed the AP racing Sprint brakes, installed the Spiegler lines on the front and backed, changed the brake fluid, and changed the oil and filter last. Mike made it looked very easy as I watched what tools he used and techniques. I see torque wrench, break wrench, and removing the stock brakes using another screw that the stock brakes for this particular has with the two small holes that help pop the rotors out and not all manufacturers does that. I learned providing some type of lubricant helps prevent it from being stuck so tight like that again, sealers that seals the brake fluids tight, tools that made an oil filter change so magically easy compared to what I did last time using a tool that has a belt to wrap it around and remove the oil filter at a strange angle, last but not least brake fluid change requiring two people one person to pump the the brakes to drain the fluid and the other gathering the fluid and removing any air in the brake fluid lines. Overall, I thought it was fun to watch and a great learning experience.

I met with one other person...Justin maybe? I don't recall he was the one pumping the gas and helped with lifting the boxes back into the trunk filled with car stock parts. It was definitely much more heavier than the Sprint brakes....

From the 1 week of driving the car...I've notice it has a harder bite to it. I was able to reduce speeds so fast with just a little light touch of braking. I notice a significant lightness to my car. I was able to drive fast and hear a lesser dip of power band as I accelerate my car. I was able to get to 60 much more quicker. Maybe its just me, I notice my car stays longer driving constant without slowing down when I'm not braking or accelerating if you know what I mean. I did find one bad side to having aftermarket brakes....I had a high screech squeal in town. I was like oh goodness probably many people are looking at me wondering if my car had issues or something. I knew from reading from the forums and listening to other people's experience that the rotors and brake pads needs to get hot in order not to squeal. I can feel when I brake I can feel the feedback more thanks to the Spiegler. I feel much more confident! hahahah I love it and I'm glad I was able to get a mod that I wanted for a looooong time.

Anyways back to the review, Thank you very much The Driveway for getting out of your way in your busy schedule to help me out I appreciate it a lot and I'm very grateful. Thank you for helping me make a change to one of my many goals for this car! Thank you!

For now I haven't checked my grammar or anything like that..Just wrote it. Forgive me, I hope I got the names right! Maybe I'll come back and fix it. For now I'm done with my review hehe. Sorry I have no photos, I believe Driveway has them.
Old 12-08-2018, 03:13 PM   #4
Bonburner
6/22/12-2/6/24

Garage
Yeah, I dropped by a while ago and I saw their Gran Turismo racing simulator with their racing seat and steering column with pedals. I wasted an hour on that lol
Old 12-08-2018, 04:00 PM   #5
Nero_tDriveway

Drives: 2009 M3
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpleviet View Post
For 25th of November 2018

I shopped around and reached out to several different places for an autoshop...I read many reviews and called to find out prices, how long, and what they're schedule is like. The yelps schedule are old and wrong...google reviews knows the autoshop correct schedule. I was looking for an autoshop that has worked on several 86s... I learned a lot of autoshops worked on week days..I can't go to any of them due to how far my job is by the time I come home and try to go to any of the autoshops, its heavy traffic hahaha. I wanted a peace of mind that it will be done right. By pure luck and curiosity, I decided to check on the forum, ftclub86, I saw a post under Norcal and this began a magical moment for my 2013 Asphalt Scion FRS to be refined a bit.

What my car will be worked on;

1. AP Racing Sprint Big Brake Kit.
2. Spiegler SS Brake Lines installed on 4 wheels
3. Change Brake Fluid, RADI-CAL™ R1
4. Oil and Filter Change, Mobil 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy and Toyota Filter

We chatted through Yelp and discussed about price and to schedule an appointment on 8th of December. Lucky for me and I'm very grateful that they opened on Sunday to help me out! I appreciate them so yes I'm definitely being baised about it... Plus it made my girlfriend very happy hahaha...Anyways I spoke with Kevin who helped schedule an appointment on Sunday via texting as I was on a light rail heading towards San Francisco to the AT&T Sprint Stadium to do a Spartan Race Sprint in order to earn my Spartan "Trifecta". Which I did finish and got my Spartan Trifecta under 2 months. We scheduled for 2PM Pacific.

Sunday arrived and I was getting ready to drive to their place. They were few miles away from my home and I got a little bit lost as I was confuse to where they were as I followed google maps. I parked at some spot. There were no signs about them. Lucky for me, a fancy looking mean machine light grey car rolled by and parked few parking spots away from me. Two gentlemen came out of the car. Kevin was the passenger who came by to greet. I was assured, I was at the right spot. Kevin drove my car into their garage and parked on-top of this blue car lift made of steel perhaps? Well..I wish I had that in my own garage! I grabbed the parts out of my car with the help of Kevin and Mike(Mechanic) and Mike who began to organize the parts how he wanted to set up and prepare for the great change!

It was definitely cold, I was still sore from the Spartan Race. Kevin offered me to spend time in the room to play a car racing game in a fancy car like simulator with racing seats and wheel as a controller. However I declined.

I wanted to hang out with the mechanic, Mike, to watch him how he does things and ask few questions to understand and why he does it. I wanted to learn and see. He was all right with me watching. I appreciate, he lets me watch. Mike is definitely passionate about working on cars as he explain since he was little he's been working on them. He passionately talks about driving and gave some advice when he tracked his car. I don't know too much about cars the mechanics and the terms to say or use...I know, I love to drive and I have a fiery passion for it.

Mike, removed the lugnuts on all the weels, removed the tires, remove the front brakes, installed the AP racing Sprint brakes, installed the Spiegler lines on the front and backed, changed the brake fluid, and changed the oil and filter last. Mike made it looked very easy as I watched what tools he used and techniques. I see torque wrench, break wrench, and removing the stock brakes using another screw that the stock brakes for this particular has with the two small holes that help pop the rotors out and not all manufacturers does that. I learned providing some type of lubricant helps prevent it from being stuck so tight like that again, sealers that seals the brake fluids tight, tools that made an oil filter change so magically easy compared to what I did last time using a tool that has a belt to wrap it around and remove the oil filter at a strange angle, last but not least brake fluid change requiring two people one person to pump the the brakes to drain the fluid and the other gathering the fluid and removing any air in the brake fluid lines. Overall, I thought it was fun to watch and a great learning experience.

I met with one other person...Justin maybe? I don't recall he was the one pumping the gas and helped with lifting the boxes back into the trunk filled with car stock parts. It was definitely much more heavier than the Sprint brakes....

From the 1 week of driving the car...I've notice it has a harder bite to it. I was able to reduce speeds so fast with just a little light touch of braking. I notice a significant lightness to my car. I was able to drive fast and hear a lesser dip of power band as I accelerate my car. I was able to get to 60 much more quicker. Maybe its just me, I notice my car stays longer driving constant without slowing down when I'm not braking or accelerating if you know what I mean. I did find one bad side to having aftermarket brakes....I had a high screech squeal in town. I was like oh goodness probably many people are looking at me wondering if my car had issues or something. I knew from reading from the forums and listening to other people's experience that the rotors and brake pads needs to get hot in order not to squeal. I can feel when I brake I can feel the feedback more thanks to the Spiegler. I feel much more confident! hahahah I love it and I'm glad I was able to get a mod that I wanted for a looooong time.

Anyways back to the review, Thank you very much The Driveway for getting out of your way in your busy schedule to help me out I appreciate it a lot and I'm very grateful. Thank you for helping me make a change to one of my many goals for this car! Thank you!

For now I haven't checked my grammar or anything like that..Just wrote it. Forgive me, I hope I got the names right! Maybe I'll come back and fix it. For now I'm done with my review hehe. Sorry I have no photos, I believe Driveway has them.
Wow I'm very glad you had a great experience with us at The Driveway! We certainly look forward to seeing you come back for more additional mods and/or maintenance on your wear and tear items! PS the name's Will =)

And of course, always a pleasure to see Bonburner come by the shop!
Nero_tDriveway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nero_tDriveway For This Useful Post:
Bonburner (12-08-2018)
Old 02-01-2019, 02:21 AM   #6
Bonburner
6/22/12-2/6/24

Garage
During one of my drives the USDM under panel that covers the brake line and fuel tank broke off. So I took this opportunity to purchase the JDM underpanels.

These guys ordered all the parts for me and helped me out.

I really appreciate how they first removed the US versions' rubber clips, which were painted over in the factory, that covered where the JDM panels' would clip. Mike painted over them to give a layer of protection and asked me to come back a couple days after to allow the paint to dry before clipping on the under panels.

Old 02-01-2019, 10:53 AM   #7
candygram4mongo

Drives: 2015 FR-s
I bought a pair of OEM headlights that they advertised on Facebook Marketplace. My GPS got confused on their location, but once you know where the place is, it shouldn't be too hard to find the next time.

Good price. Honest description. Cleaner than most shops I've been to. I'd have no problem recommending these guys.

Thanks Kevin.
candygram4mongo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to candygram4mongo For This Useful Post:
Bonburner (06-27-2020)
Old 02-23-2019, 02:08 PM   #8
maxpowa
iTea Boys Bay Area Rep

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Limited, White
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Also had a great experience at The Driveway! Was trying to find a low-car friendly alignment shop to get my rear end back into spec after another shop messed it up with a miscalibrated rack. The Driveway was able to fix it no problem and got my car driving straighter than it's ever been. Great shop, definitely recommend if you're looking for a shop in the south bay area.
maxpowa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to maxpowa For This Useful Post:
Bonburner (06-27-2020)
Old 02-28-2019, 06:16 PM   #9
Xxyion
Lowly Cartuber

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2005 Honda S2000
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
What are the rates? I live near and I'd like an alternative if The Racer's Line is booked out.
2016 Limited MT WR Blue BRZ | Delicious Flash n Go Tune | Delicious Flex Fuel Kit | Nameless 2.5" with 5" Mufflers | JDL UEL Headers | Bayson R Diffuser/Side Skirts | APR Front Splitter | VIS Racing GT Wing | ST Suspension Coilovers | Grammlights Rays 57CR 17x9 +38 | Sumitomo HTR Z iii 235/45/17 |
Xxyion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 08:05 PM   #10
Bonburner
6/22/12-2/6/24

Garage
These guys helped me out again. This time with Dayco serpentine belt, EBC Yellowstuff brake pads, Eneos Racing Street oil, and LiquiMoly Ceratec!
They have some Euro customers that live and preach by Ceratec so I thought I'd give it a try.

The combined Ceratec with the Eneos Racing Street is wild. The engine is ridiculously smooth (the change in smoothness is akin to Mobil1 to Idemitsu Zepro, except I've been using Zepro).
I think the Ceratec added viscosity back into the oil so the engine's revs don't drop as quickly (caught me by surprise)? I don't think the rev slowing speed is to a bad level though. Overall, I would recommend people to try out the Ceratec. [Edit: the loss of friction has removed one of the RPM dropping components, I now believe] It's pretty awesome feeling how smooth the engine feels (although some of that could be the Eneos Street Racing, which I'm also a big fan of because the specs are amazing).

I also didn't like how the PowerStop pads felt so I threw in some EBC Yellowstuff

Last edited by Bonburner; 07-23-2020 at 03:16 PM.
Bonburner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bonburner For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (07-03-2020), spike021 (06-29-2020)
Old 06-29-2020, 02:42 PM   #11
spike021

Drives: '17 Limited BRZ CWP w/ PP
Thanked 6,466 Times in 3,205 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Nice to see more positive comments for the guys at The Driveway!

When I've had issues with my car and went in for some basic mechanical checks, they were quite thorough and would follow up multiple times with me to see if I was still having issues/the issues were fixed, etc. Thought that was really great of them to take the initiative.

Definitely has helped me decide to want to go back to them for other service in the future.
It sounds to me like the delicate, metallic sounds of piston skirts slapping against the cylinder walls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Now, if it was three feet long and you were using all that leverage
spike021 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spike021 For This Useful Post:
Bonburner (06-30-2020), Clipdat (07-03-2020)
Old 07-03-2020, 05:09 PM   #12
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,845 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Very good. Thank you for reminding me that I need to schedule an appointment with these guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 03:17 PM   #13
sftateofmind
Evening Primrose

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
I needed to get my Perrin exhaust installed & front lip put on as I’ve been making some minor mods. Saw this post and decided to give these guys a call. My experience with them was absolutely solid.

They are quick and efficient, a combo I can appreciate quite a bit coming from the San Francisco area. The work done was solid, no complaints at all. Had a moment where I was missing a piece for the exhaust and they told me to just come back when the part came in to fix it no charge. I really appreciated that.

Everyone i talked to at the shop is super chill. I didn’t mind hanging out front while the car got worked on, due to Covid they try to keep the wait room closed. Didn’t get to check out the simulator as a result.

Anywho, I’ll be back for sure when I need some work done. Much love!
sftateofmind is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sftateofmind For This Useful Post:
spike021 (07-29-2020)