follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 08-14-2021, 09:08 AM   #1
gpvecchi

Drives: Toyota 86 GT Limited PP (Model G)
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Effects of spacers/ET on suspensions?

I know the effect of spacers on handling, but I'm interested in understanding what are the effects of spacers or different ET on spring and dampers stiffness.
My behavior (but I'm not an engineer) is that dampers will be softer, because they are more sensitive to unsprung mass movement, and the lever with spacer will be longer, while the body roll will be less. Is this correct?
gpvecchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 10:52 AM   #2
marco_mc22

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I don’t think so, motion ratio variations (different length arms or different knuckles which could change both the knuckle pivot point and or the spring centerline) and spring inclination (more or less SAI with camber plates for example) should be the only factors which could change the final wheel rate on two identical struts with the same spring rate.

The biggest variation of high positive ratios is the dynamic toe change Imo, very noticeable during hard braking, I’m currently using et35 rims (17x7.5 with 215 tyres) plus 20mm spacers on the front only to test wider front track and the difference is high, for reference alignment is always the same, just added spacers.
marco_mc22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to marco_mc22 For This Useful Post:
gpvecchi (08-15-2021)
Old 08-18-2021, 12:29 PM   #3
Icecreamtruk

Drives: Track preped NA FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marco_mc22 View Post
The biggest variation of high positive ratios is the dynamic toe change Imo, very noticeable during hard braking, Iím currently using et35 rims (17x7.5 with 215 tyres) plus 20mm spacers on the front only to test wider front track and the difference is high, for reference alignment is always the same, just added spacers.
What did you find specifically with the spacers up front? It toes-out more during compression? I've driven with spacers in the back and without (20mm) and without them the car wanders a lot more on hard braking (not enough toe-in, or maybe its even toeing-out during braking)
Icecreamtruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 02:51 PM   #4
marco_mc22

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecreamtruk View Post
What did you find specifically with the spacers up front? It toes-out more during compression? I've driven with spacers in the back and without (20mm) and without them the car wanders a lot more on hard braking (not enough toe-in, or maybe its even toeing-out during braking)
Yep, Iím also using static toe out which doesnít help. Probably using spherical joints for the steering arms would reduce the wandering.
marco_mc22 is offline   Reply With Quote