follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 01-21-2016, 01:38 AM   #29
jawn

Drives: 2015 CWP BRZ Limited
Thanked 3,946 Times in 1,757 Posts
Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom86 View Post
So now that I have settled on the BRZ Limited. What are the typical failures of these cars? Typical ones on my BMW are waterpump and HPFP. What are items I should budget for?
For stock cars? Cam plate might leak oil eventually, and coil pack failures on cars that get run really hot, like on a track. Tail light condensation. The stock battery sucks.

These cars do run hot, so if you do plan on tracking it, oil cooling should be a priority.

Most of the rattles and stuff have mostly been resolved in the 2015/2016 cars, but the earlier ones were a little bit more prone to developing rattles.

Your fuel pump will probably make a chirping noise at some point. It's normal, and doesn't hurt anything.
jawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 01:39 AM   #30
PandaSPUR
PandaPandaPandaPandaPanda

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
So now that I have settled on the BRZ Limited. What are the typical failures of these cars? Typical ones on my BMW are waterpump and HPFP. What are items I should budget for?
Around here... so far the number 1 killer of our cars is irresponsible boost LOL.

Seriously though, I haven't noticed much in terms of serious reliability/car ending issues being mentioned on these forums. Plenty of smaller issues that people run into though, like crickets (shouldnt happen on MY2016), misaligned windows that push up the rubber window seals, and condensation in tail lights.

I cant say much from experience though, my car is only 1 year old with 4,400 miles on it right now. But I've had no issues so far.
PandaSPUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 01:41 AM   #31
ADRNLNE

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawn View Post
For stock cars? Cam plate might leak oil eventually, and coil pack failures on cars that get run really hot, like on a track. Tail light condensation. The stock battery sucks.

These cars do run hot, so if you do plan on tracking it, oil cooling should be a priority.

Most of the rattles and stuff have mostly been resolved in the 2015/2016 cars, but the earlier ones were a little bit more prone to developing rattles.

Your fuel pump will probably make a chirping noise at some point. It's normal, and doesn't hurt anything.
Yeah, the DI system in the BMW was the same way; Runs quite hot.
Good to know the fuel pumps hold out for you guys!

Thanks for the info
ADRNLNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 01:43 AM   #32
ADRNLNE

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaSPUR View Post
Around here... so far the number 1 killer of our cars is irresponsible boost LOL.

Seriously though, I haven't noticed much in terms of serious reliability/car ending issues being mentioned on these forums. Plenty of smaller issues that people run into though, like crickets (shouldnt happen on MY2016), misaligned windows that push up the rubber window seals, and condensation in tail lights.

I cant say much from experience though, my car is only 1 year old with 4,400 miles on it right now. But I've had no issues so far.
I doubt I will boost it. (famous last words)

Yours is the second mention of condensation in tail lights. That means they would then fail, I assume? Are the taillights warrantied items since they are well known?

Old 01-21-2016, 01:46 AM   #33
jawn

Quote:
I doubt I will boost it. (famous last words)

Yours is the second mention of condensation in tail lights. That means they would then fail, I assume? Are the taillights warrantied items since they are well known?

For the first 3 years, 36K miles. The shape of the trunk causes water to pool behind the tail lights, so any gasket will be under a good amount of stress. Fortunately, there's a healthy aftermarket, and used stock tails are easy to find, too. It's also not terribly difficult to retrofit a new gasket.
The Following User Says Thank You to jawn For This Useful Post:
PandaSPUR (01-21-2016)
Old 01-21-2016, 01:52 AM   #34
ADRNLNE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawn View Post
For the first 3 years, 36K miles. The shape of the trunk causes water to pool behind the tail lights, so any gasket will be under a good amount of stress. Fortunately, there's a healthy aftermarket, and used stock tails are easy to find, too. It's also not terribly difficult to retrofit a new gasket.
Hmm... Has anyone found a long-term fix with stock? Or is there a known aftermarket part that can solve it?
Old 01-21-2016, 01:57 AM   #35
jawn

Quote:
Hmm... Has anyone found a long-term fix with stock? Or is there a known aftermarket part that can solve it?
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26217
The Following User Says Thank You to jawn For This Useful Post:
PandaSPUR (01-21-2016)
Old 01-21-2016, 02:01 AM   #36
ADRNLNE

Thanks!
Old 01-21-2016, 07:37 AM   #37
Deslock

Drives: 2013 DZE/01 (sold for MX5 ND1)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
TSB thread (and forum): http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21868

In my case, I've dropped it off at the dealer twice in the last 3.5 years:

Dealer drop-off #1 (after 1 year of ownership):
Symptom: GPS sometimes failed to get a lock
  • TSB: 15-158-12
  • Fix: Dealer replaced GPS antenna bracket and updated software.
  • Comment: Affected early units (I have one of the first 1k BRZs produced).
Dealer drop-off #2 (after 2.5 years of ownership):
Symptom: Occasional rattling from rear deck
  • TSB: 12-140-12 (maybe doesn't apply)
  • Fix: Turn stereo up. Dealer applied TSB fix.
  • Comment: Still does it now and then, so I don't think the popping TSB addresses the rattle. Whatever.
Sympton: Frozen/torn window strips
  • TSB: 07-79-13R
  • Fix: Dealer replaced window strips and applied fix in TSB.
  • Comment: New England winters + freeze/thaw cycles + automatic window movement when opening/closing door = bad combination
Symptom: Condensation in rear tail lights
  • TSB: 12-131-12
  • Fix: Dealer replaced tail lights.
  • Comment: This was only cosmetic, so I never worried about it. Since I brought the car in for the torn window strips and rear-deck rattle anyway, I got this taken care of too.
Old 01-21-2016, 03:07 PM   #38
ed_423

Drives: 2016 BRZ Limited
Another common failure?

Failure to overtake the Camry on the freeway LOL
ed_423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 12:36 AM   #39
ADRNLNE

Thanks for the comprehensive list. the more I look, the more I am saddened by how different a "trackable sports car" can be between companies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deslock View Post
TSB thread (and forum): http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21868

In my case, I've dropped it off at the dealer twice in the last 3.5 years:

Dealer drop-off #1 (after 1 year of ownership):
Symptom: GPS sometimes failed to get a lock
  • TSB: 15-158-12
  • Fix: Dealer replaced GPS antenna bracket and updated software.
  • Comment: Affected early units (I have one of the first 1k BRZs produced).
Dealer drop-off #2 (after 2.5 years of ownership):
Symptom: Occasional rattling from rear deck
  • TSB: 12-140-12 (maybe doesn't apply)
  • Fix: Turn stereo up. Dealer applied TSB fix.
  • Comment: Still does it now and then, so I don't think the popping TSB addresses the rattle. Whatever.
Sympton: Frozen/torn window strips
  • TSB: 07-79-13R
  • Fix: Dealer replaced window strips and applied fix in TSB.
  • Comment: New England winters + freeze/thaw cycles + automatic window movement when opening/closing door = bad combination
Symptom: Condensation in rear tail lights
  • TSB: 12-131-12
  • Fix: Dealer replaced tail lights.
  • Comment: This was only cosmetic, so I never worried about it. Since I brought the car in for the torn window strips and rear-deck rattle anyway, I got this taken care of too.
LMAO! Well my current car can blow most out of the water but that's not what I am looking for. I want a lightweight tossable car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed_423 View Post
Another common failure?

Failure to overtake the Camry on the freeway LOL
Old 01-23-2016, 08:18 AM   #40
pfaffendorn

Drives: 2014 ssm BRZ Limited 6M
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
I'd like to see how close I can get to $25k for a limited (is that feasible?).
Last year I found a 2014 Limited with 6700 miles on it, immaculate garage queen condition, with every gizmo and doodad in the catalogue and more (including red and black seat covers which I ripped out as soon as I got home), plus two years left on the warranty, for $23k.

Just think outside the box a little. You can always put high power LEDs in your fog lights (yellow) so they function, and take some time to learn the stupidities of the head unit so it functions well on its own (this car is jealous -- if you don't give it both eyes and both hands at all times, it will slap you), and you will still have the greatest young man's car on earth.

PS: I may be just an old fud, but when I come up behind that Camry, I leave it in 6th and just a few seconds of pedal-to-the-metal gets me a sudden half mile down the road. Taking my motoring thrills one at a time these days.
pfaffendorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 12:11 PM   #41
TommyC

Drives: 2016 BRZ
Quote:
Thanks for the comprehensive list. the more I look, the more I am saddened by how different a "trackable sports car" can be between companies.

LMAO! Well my current car can blow most out of the water but that's not what I am looking for. I want a lightweight tossable car.
I have owned a number of BMWs, including a tuned 135i, e30, e92 M3, and M Coupe. I absolutely love them, and love how they drive (except F30 onward).

That said, they really aren't great on the track. Being so heavy, they wear through consumables and just aren't that tossable. On the street, it doesn't matter, but when you are actually driving at 9/10ths on the track it quickly becomes apparent.

That is why I got my 2016 BRZ. I will be doing some minor upgrades to improve some minor items (flat spot in torque range, track pads, lowered a bit etc), and in the end will have a car that is 600 lbs lighter than my M3, and more fun to drive. Will it be faster? Nope. But I'm fine with that. Stock vs stock, it already is more engaging.
TommyC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TommyC For This Useful Post:
jawn (01-23-2016), Tcoat (01-23-2016)
Old 01-23-2016, 05:31 PM   #42
ADRNLNE

I totally agree!

As much as I loved having a powerful project car it didn't feel like my old lightweight Acura integra. The closest I've felt it is the Subaru. I can't wait to jump into one!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyC View Post
I have owned a number of BMWs, including a tuned 135i, e30, e92 M3, and M Coupe. I absolutely love them, and love how they drive (except F30 onward).

That said, they really aren't great on the track. Being so heavy, they wear through consumables and just aren't that tossable. On the street, it doesn't matter, but when you are actually driving at 9/10ths on the track it quickly becomes apparent.

That is why I got my 2016 BRZ. I will be doing some minor upgrades to improve some minor items (flat spot in torque range, track pads, lowered a bit etc), and in the end will have a car that is 600 lbs lighter than my M3, and more fun to drive. Will it be faster? Nope. But I'm fine with that. Stock vs stock, it already is more engaging.