follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 03-31-2015, 01:21 PM   #155
Hyper4mance2k
Shadetree Project Ratchet

Drives: series.Blue
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBrass View Post
It's times like this that make me wish I'd majored in mechanical or aerospace engineering instead of EE.

Thanks for the lesson (without the math... otherwise I'd need to go dig up my old college notes).

I majored in Political Science LOL. I only know this stuff becauseI have spent the vast majority of my free time over the last 20 years readingabout cars. I never sold a book back in college and I think my automotivelibrary trumps my collegiate library.
Old 03-31-2015, 01:27 PM   #156
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Drives: 2019 WRX Limited (WRB)
Thanked 1,251 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper4mance2k View Post
I majored in Political Science LOL. I only know this stuff becauseI have spent the vast majority of my free time over the last 20 years readingabout cars. I never sold a book back in college and I think my automotivelibrary trumps my collegiate library.
I get distracted by many interests, and now with wife (who is a lawyer, so that makes it worse :P ), I have even less of a budget to fund them all .

Like "cascams, or get that RC heli & transmitter I really want..."

Recommended reading for us engineers who want to know more would be helpful, though .

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SirBrass For This Useful Post:
wparsons (03-31-2015)
Old 03-31-2015, 03:24 PM   #157
RobertPaulson
Hisnamewasrobertpaulson

Drives: 2017 Golf R
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2d4 View Post
If someone spends money building a high rise out of tissue paper, would you also thank them for spending money and showing you that it doesn't work?
not only would i thank Donald Trump, but i'd set that bitch on fire.
Koa (04-01-2015)
Old 03-31-2015, 06:33 PM   #158
KoolBRZ

Drives: Silver 2013 BRZ Ltd Auto 45,000 mi
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Valve timing has aboslutely nothing to do with compression ratio. Small amounts of overlap exist for a reason; they increase cylender flow rates by allowing the intake ports to remain open longer. Thus, the incoming intake charge helps expell exhaust gasses.
Where do you learn these things? I suggest reading a book on basic automotive engineering, or taking a class before you go any further. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but seriously... Go take a class at your local CC, or UTI, or something, anything. You know the basic terminology, but your understanding is fundamentally flawed. I really am starting to think you might just be the biggest, most epic troll and you're just pranking everyone.
There are no books to read about dual AVCS tuning. It's too new. Our motors have electrically adjustable hydraulically actuated intake and exhaust cam adjusters. In the past there were lots of motors with an adjustable exhaust cam, but very few had intake and exhaust adjustable. If the intake cam is advanced and the exhaust cam is retarded there is so much valve overlap that the exhaust pushes out some of the intake charge coming in. This lowers the peak pressure in the cylinder, and it's as good as lowering the compression ratio. This overlap is used for better economy, not for more power. When more power is needed both intake and exhaust cams adjust for no overlap up to a certain point, then gradually move to give more exhaust overlap while leaving the intake cams at TDC. In the past a turbo car had to run low compression to keep from pinging itself to death, now people are turboing this car with 12.5:1 compression. Most of the rules in your old-timey petrol motor handbook no longer apply. You gotta start thinking outside the box if you want to understand the inner workings of this engine.

KoolBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 07:10 PM   #159
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,513 Times in 18,917 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolBRZ View Post
I gotta start studying if I want to understand the inner workings of this engine.

fify

You think you have the basics but once again you've shown us just how much you're deluding yourself. SMH
Old 03-31-2015, 07:33 PM   #160
burdickjp

Drives: 2013 ultramarine Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Cam timing isn't a new phenomenon. The effects of timing are well known. It being dynamic is relatively new, but even that has been around for over a decade. Even so, it doesn't suddenly change the thermodynamics of the engine.
burdickjp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to burdickjp For This Useful Post:
Dipstik-sportech (03-31-2015), mig86 (03-31-2015), SirBrass (03-31-2015), Ultramaroon (03-31-2015)
Old 03-31-2015, 07:55 PM   #161
Hyper4mance2k
Shadetree Project Ratchet

Drives: series.Blue
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
There are no books to read about dual AVCS tuning. It's too new. Our motors have electrically adjustable hydraulically actuated intake and exhaust cam adjusters. In the past there were lots of motors with an adjustable exhaust cam, but very few had intake and exhaust adjustable. If the intake cam is advanced and the exhaust cam is retarded there is so much valve overlap that the exhaust pushes out some of the intake charge coming in. This lowers the peak pressure in the cylinder, and it's as good as lowering the compression ratio. This overlap is used for better economy, not for more power. When more power is needed both intake and exhaust cams adjust for no overlap up to a certain point, then gradually move to give more exhaust overlap while leaving the intake cams at TDC. In the past a turbo car had to run low compression to keep from pinging itself to death, now people are turboing this car with 12.5:1 compression. Most of the rules in your old-timey petrol motor handbook no longer apply. You gotta start thinking outside the box if you want to understand the inner workings of this engine.

Volumetric efficiency changes, not compression...
Once again you're wrong. Bosch first developed variable valve and cam timing for planes durrig... world war 2.
chaoskaze (03-31-2015), SirBrass (03-31-2015), Ultramaroon (03-31-2015), wparsons (03-31-2015)
Old 03-31-2015, 09:21 PM   #162
chaoskaze
The Fail Boat

Drives: CWP S.B.
Thanked 1,293 Times in 873 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
World's first FT86 Anti-Reversion,(A/R) Header

^ That's interesting to know. Never thought a plane need something like that. Wonder wut Honda planes is like lol.
chaoskaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 09:47 PM   #163
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
So much mis-information...

First, dual variable valve timing has been around for well over a decade.

Second, without knowing the valve timing in relation to BDC, knowing how much overlap you have doesn't tell the full story. If you get overlap by advancing the valve timing you'll get more scavenging (assuming a good header), but because of the timing you won't be losing compression.

How exactly does the exhaust push the intake charge out?

You're more likely to lose intake charge (or compression) by keeping either the intake or exhaust open as the piston passes too far past BDC than by having good overlap.

Some overlap is good because scavenging (high exhaust velocity creating a vacuum in the cylinder) will pull more intake charge into the cylinder. On a turbo or supercharged engine you don't need (or want) as much overlap because you're already forcing the intake charge in under pressure and will just blow it right out the exhaust. If anything, more overlap gives worse economy and emissions because you'll lose some intake charge out the exhaust.

You might want to take a look at what the intake and exhaust cam timing actually looks like in a datalog compared to throttle and rpm...

http://www.datazap.me/u/wparsons/jul...6&zoom=193-430

http://www.datazap.me/u/wparsons/jul...7-680&mark=611
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wparsons For This Useful Post:
boredom.is.me (04-01-2015), SirBrass (03-31-2015), Tcoat (04-01-2015), Turdinator (03-31-2015), Ultramaroon (03-31-2015)
Old 03-31-2015, 10:01 PM   #164
Turdinator
Seņor Member

Drives: 86 GT/'74 TA22 Celica/Kangaroo
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Volumetric efficiency changes, not compression...
Cam timing does have an effect on the dynamic compression ratio. It is why on NA engines when you go to larger duration cams higher static compression ratio is recommended.

This is the first link that came up in google and will give you an idea about it.
http://cochise.uia.net/pkelley2/DynamicCR.html

I don't agree with a lot of what OP says but don't automatically shoot him down because of who he is and potentially add to the misinformation. I think @Dimman was on the money.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:15 PM   #165
burdickjp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turdinator View Post
Cam timing does have an effect on the dynamic compression ratio. It is why on NA engines when you go to larger duration cams higher static compression ratio is recommended.

This is the first link that came up in google and will give you an idea about it.
http://cochise.uia.net/pkelley2/DynamicCR.html

I don't agree with a lot of what OP says but don't automatically shoot him down because of who he is and potentially add to the misinformation. I think @Dimman was on the money.
Dynamic compression ratio is a misnomer. There's nothing dynamic about it. What they're looking at is trapped volume and the ratio between trapped volume and compressed volume. Trapped volume compression ratio is probably the more correct term.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to burdickjp For This Useful Post:
Hyper4mance2k (03-31-2015), Ultramaroon (03-31-2015)
Old 03-31-2015, 10:19 PM   #166
Turdinator
Seņor Member

Drives: 86 GT/'74 TA22 Celica/Kangaroo
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bur****jp View Post
Dynamic compression ratio is a misnomer. There's nothing dynamic about it. What they're looking at is trapped volume and the ratio between trapped volume and compressed volume. Trapped volume compression ratio is probably the more correct term.
Perhaps, but is an accepted term and there is information on it out there.

EDIT: The forum thinks your name needs to be censored.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:28 PM   #167
burdickjp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turdinator View Post
Perhaps, but is an accepted term and there is information on it out there.

EDIT: The forum thinks your name needs to be censored.
When you get into real research from smart people who get their doctorates in things like this, such as Blair, Heywood, or Taylor, you won't find it.

Most people using the term dynamic compression ratio do so in ignorance of what's important and why. Sometimes they get it right, but usually in an indirect way.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to burdickjp For This Useful Post:
boredom.is.me (04-01-2015), Hyper4mance2k (03-31-2015), Turdinator (03-31-2015), Ultramaroon (03-31-2015)
Old 04-01-2015, 12:00 AM   #168
Poodles

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bur****jp View Post
When you get into real research from smart people who get their doctorates in things like this, such as Blair, Heywood, or Taylor, you won't find it.

Most people using the term dynamic compression ratio do so in ignorance of what's important and why. Sometimes they get it right, but usually in an indirect way.

Much like "backpressure."
Poodles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Poodles For This Useful Post:
Andrew025 (04-01-2015), boredom.is.me (04-01-2015), burdickjp (04-01-2015), SirBrass (04-01-2015), Ultramaroon (04-01-2015)

Tags
guy knows nothing, world's last, zero facts