follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
RR Racing
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-16-2015, 04:14 PM   #1
keonigt
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Drives: 2015 brz
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 83
Thanks: 3
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Stance SS and Fortune auto 500

I had a few questions regarding these for the users of these coils.

Which coil, the stance coil or fortune auto coil, will drop my car lower?

How do you know the suggested spring rate for brzs?

I noticed that the stance ss does not have the option of swift springs. Has anyone ever added swift springs to these coils?

Thanks!

Last edited by keonigt; 06-16-2015 at 05:42 PM.
keonigt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 04:45 PM   #2
boredom.is.me
Custom User Title
 
boredom.is.me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Drives: Asphalt FR-S MT
Location: Buford, GA/Daytona Beach, FL
Posts: 2,790
Thanks: 394
Thanked 1,180 Times in 697 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I don't want to lump anyone into any categories, but if you are interested in slamming your car, don't expect to keep a "high" level of performance. Your shocks can only do their job if they have a decent distance of motion to travel through. If you want to scrape frame, the performance quality of any coilover realistically doesn't matter.

Now the other option is to use control arms that actually lower the car without reducing shock travel. I don't believe there are any for the front though.

The Fortune Autos are meant for performance. They do not give you the ability to slam your ride.


Tell everyone how low you want to go. The community will let you know what your options are.
__________________
boredom.is.me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 05:10 PM   #3
Kami Speed
 
Kami Speed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Drives: Scion FR-S
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 3,433
Thanks: 324
Thanked 242 Times in 183 Posts
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Kami Speed
If you are looking to really slam the car then I would suggest a set of BC Racing coilovers with the Extreme Drop option over FA and Stance. Fortune will not drop your car that low.

You can also upgrade to Swift Springs and get a pretty comfortable ride with the BC Racing as well.

Let me know!
Kami Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 05:13 PM   #4
Vroomin86
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Drives: 2015 Fire
Location: South FLo-Rida
Posts: 447
Thanks: 264
Thanked 168 Times in 106 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I ride on FA and like most people are saying they do not go as low as you seem to want. Sounds like performance isn't the first priority so I too would suggest BC racing extreme lows.
__________________
2015 FireStorm FRS
HT Auto / TRD / Toms / FA 500 / Valenti / SPC / OFT / Borla / Flossy / Vigilant Motorsports / To be continued...
Vroomin86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vroomin86 For This Useful Post:
Kami Speed (06-16-2015)
Old 06-16-2015, 05:41 PM   #5
keonigt
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Drives: 2015 brz
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 83
Thanks: 3
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I am looking to lower the car about 3 inches for daily use, then for about every 1 week in 6 months lower it to the max.

Anyone know if stance will be as low as extreme lows?
keonigt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 06:21 PM   #6
ModinJapan
Senior Member
 
ModinJapan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Drives: 2013 SCION FRS
Location: Ontario, California
Posts: 1,453
Thanks: 5
Thanked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Either way what ever brand you decide on, make sure you keep an eye out on how it affects your suspension arms, bushings and ball joints. If you slam a car really hard, the right away of doing it is getting new arms that are shorter length so the geometry is still correct.

just understand the strain you are going to put on all other components of the suspension and how those can prematurely wear and fail without proper modifications.
ModinJapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 07:04 PM   #7
boredom.is.me
Custom User Title
 
boredom.is.me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Drives: Asphalt FR-S MT
Location: Buford, GA/Daytona Beach, FL
Posts: 2,790
Thanks: 394
Thanked 1,180 Times in 697 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
A 3" drop leaves your wheels almost 1.5" in the fender. You can forget about comfort and performance. Like @ModinJapan mentioned, that will also put a ton of stress on your driveline components, mainly the cv joints on your axles. If you are into the #cambergang "lifestyle" with super stretched tires and 10 degrees of camber, then you will also reduce your contact patch and kill tires which is a hazard for both yourself and everyone else on the road.

I'm not trying to be an a-hole, but I won't promote mods that compromise safety to such an extent. Would you consider airbag suspension instead? That would allow you to ride at normal (1"-2" drop) ride heights, but still let you lay frame when your parked.
__________________
boredom.is.me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 01:08 PM   #8
TylerLieberman
Senior Member
 
TylerLieberman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Drives: '20 Hakone 86 & '17 Tacoma TRD
Location: Arizona
Posts: 3,416
Thanks: 533
Thanked 2,787 Times in 1,363 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by keonigt View Post
I had a few questions regarding these for the users of these coils.

Which coil, the stance coil or fortune auto coil, will drop my car lower?

How do you know the suggested spring rate for brzs?

I noticed that the stance ss does not have the option of swift springs. Has anyone ever added swift springs to these coils?

Thanks!

Stance does have the option of swift springs. I had 8k/9k swift springs on mine.

If you're just trying to slam the car down as low as possible, the BC extreme lows will be best. Though I would never recommend BC to anybody. Against my better judgment, we put them on wife's Focus ST and sure enough, they were absolute shit.

I have friends that use them too and they've been pretty problematic. I think BC is absolute garbage.

I personally am a fan of STANCE products, as myself or any of my friends have not had a single issue with any of their products in almost 10 years. Solid product, fantastic customer service etc. @Touge Factory can help with purchasing Stance products and pairing them with Swift Springs if you want. Awesome group of guys there and they can answer your questions I'm sure.

I've been in a few cars with FA coilovers and I don't really have anything bad to say about them, though I wasn't exactly blown away by them or anything. They seemed fine for what they were. A lot of people run them and love them though.

Just remember that you aren't getting Ohlins/AST etc. level performance with ~$1,500 entry level coilovers. Just depends on what you're trying to do with the car.
__________________
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 03:36 PM   #9
keonigt
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Drives: 2015 brz
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 83
Thanks: 3
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerLieberman View Post
Stance does have the option of swift springs. I had 8k/9k swift springs on mine.

If you're just trying to slam the car down as low as possible, the BC extreme lows will be best. Though I would never recommend BC to anybody. Against my better judgment, we put them on wife's Focus ST and sure enough, they were absolute shit.

I have friends that use them too and they've been pretty problematic. I think BC is absolute garbage.

I personally am a fan of STANCE products, as myself or any of my friends have not had a single issue with any of their products in almost 10 years. Solid product, fantastic customer service etc. @Touge Factory can help with purchasing Stance products and pairing them with Swift Springs if you want. Awesome group of guys there and they can answer your questions I'm sure.

I've been in a few cars with FA coilovers and I don't really have anything bad to say about them, though I wasn't exactly blown away by them or anything. They seemed fine for what they were. A lot of people run them and love them though.

Just remember that you aren't getting Ohlins/AST etc. level performance with ~$1,500 entry level coilovers. Just depends on what you're trying to do with the car.
Thanks! I have ruled out BC.

Would you say that your 8k/9k spring rate was good for daily and an aggressive setup?
keonigt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 03:49 PM   #10
STV3
Señor Member
 
STV3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Location: Rockland County NY
Posts: 1,607
Thanks: 1,102
Thanked 1,320 Times in 645 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by keonigt View Post
Thanks! I have ruled out BC.

Would you say that your 8k/9k spring rate was good for daily and an aggressive setup?
It's good for a sore bottom and back because that is pretty stiff, but then again that is what you want if you are going super low.
STV3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 04:13 PM   #11
keonigt
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Drives: 2015 brz
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 83
Thanks: 3
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by STV3 View Post
It's good for a sore bottom and back because that is pretty stiff, but then again that is what you want if you are going super low.
Damn lol, I guess thats the tradeoff.

Would you say that with a 8k/9k spring rate I would be able to push down on the front with my hands and make the front move 0.5 - 1 inch? In hawaii we have a reconstruction permit and one of the tests make the drive push down on the rear and front and it is supposed to rebound a little.

Thanks for the input guys!
keonigt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 04:26 PM   #12
STV3
Señor Member
 
STV3's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Location: Rockland County NY
Posts: 1,607
Thanks: 1,102
Thanked 1,320 Times in 645 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by keonigt View Post
Damn lol, I guess thats the tradeoff.

Would you say that with a 8k/9k spring rate I would be able to push down on the front with my hands and make the front move 0.5 - 1 inch? In hawaii we have a reconstruction permit and one of the tests make the drive push down on the rear and front and it is supposed to rebound a little.

Thanks for the input guys!
if you are really strong or heavy lol
STV3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 05:21 PM   #13
TylerLieberman
Senior Member
 
TylerLieberman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Drives: '20 Hakone 86 & '17 Tacoma TRD
Location: Arizona
Posts: 3,416
Thanks: 533
Thanked 2,787 Times in 1,363 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by keonigt View Post
Thanks! I have ruled out BC.

Would you say that your 8k/9k spring rate was good for daily and an aggressive setup?
Quote:
Originally Posted by STV3 View Post
It's good for a sore bottom and back because that is pretty stiff, but then again that is what you want if you are going super low.
It's by no means "comfortable" but it was tolerable for every day use. The car was set like that because of what I did with the car; drifting.

I increased the front spring rates so I could ditch the front sway bar and increase the steering angle. I increased the rear rates to match and stiffen up the rear a bit more. In the end, it drove exactly how I wanted it to. It wasn't comfortable though, but then again, even in stock form I don't think the car is all that comfortable. It's not harsh, but it's not the plushest of rides.

If you run super low, you're going to need a the same spring rates or stiffer to keep from jacking up fenders and stuff.

If you don't need camber plates, and you aren't planning on scraping frame, my advice is to buy ST coilovers. $850, made by KW, and absolutely fantastic. I installed them on a friend's car a while back. The quality is very good, everything goes together nicely using some of the oem parts (which is a big plus), and it didn't make the ride any harder. Perfect entry level coilovers system for somebody just looking to have something that looks nice and drives well on a daily basis.
__________________
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TylerLieberman For This Useful Post:
STV3 (06-17-2015)
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WTB your Fortune 500 or Stance coils. Cash ready manualmotive Want-To-Buy Requests 8 04-12-2015 05:24 PM
Fortune Auto 500 or Stance Supper Sport Khánh Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing 12 04-19-2013 03:02 PM
Stance Vs Kw3 vs Fortune Autos? koyv90 Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing 57 12-29-2012 06:58 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.