follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 01-07-2015, 06:25 PM   #85
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Drives: Limited Red 6MT BRZ
Thanked 1,167 Times in 644 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad1723 View Post
Can't wait to get feedback @Sojhinn ! I'm waiting on mine, can't wait to hear external opinions on this!

Install complete. Review in 15 mins.Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420673155.425521.jpg
Views: 2084
Size:  283.6 KB

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Sojhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sojhinn For This Useful Post:
ScionOfHorus (01-07-2015)
Old 01-07-2015, 06:54 PM   #86
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Mishimoto Build Thread: BRZ/FR-S Direct Fit Baffled Catch Can Kit!

Review:

Let me start with the bad, so that I can get passed it and move onto the overwhelmingly good.

Upon receiving the kit and starting to setup the parts I decided to open the catch can. When I did I found some threads that were stripped. If it wasn't for the fact that it made the can a lot harder to open I would ignore it but there was an issue.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420674203.365803.jpg
Views: 839
Size:  302.9 KB

Credit goes here for John and mishimoto who are going to replace the catch can top for me immediately. This doesn't hamper performance or even affect the product but John wants me to get a perfect catch can and they are replacing the defective part. Thanks John!

Now for the rest:

The catch can is well built and well thought out. I really like the placement of the can as I am running the phantom electric supercharger and do not have room for a can near the batteries since I already have a bunch of stuff there.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420674357.605141.jpg
Views: 823
Size:  378.5 KB

The can looks like it belongs in the engine bay but I kinda wish the red was a bit darker. Oh well.

Install:

I had plans on making an install video and found out upon opening the box that one was already made by mishimoto.

No point in remaking the wheel but I want to clarify a few things.

When removing the engine cover be careful that you don't break the rear tabs. Just push in the tab from the front and rotate. It should pop off easily. Don't force anything.

When removing the pcv tube (oem) I could smell oil and fuel. Ugh should of gotten a can sooner.

When installing the clamp on the pcv valve slide your hand under the jumbles of wires... It makes it easier to tighten, and also make sure it's pretightened so you don't waste time around the engine. (If engine is hot be careful because everything around this part of the car is hot.) Picture below you can see how my hand goes underneath

Also for tightening I recommend a 7mm socket screwdriver instead of a flat head screwdriver.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420674652.720048.jpg
Views: 779
Size:  328.9 KB

Everything else is pretty is simple but I am curious why the tube that leads from the catch can to the intake doesn't have a clamp on the intake side. (Can has one)

Finishing touches:

On my drive around I didn't hear any noises from the can and time will tell how well it works. Here's a few shots on how it looks. I'm happy with my purchase thus far and kinda wish I had done this sooner after smelling the tube.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420674810.149575.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  349.8 KB

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420674825.790716.jpg
Views: 756
Size:  309.3 KB
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420674836.963432.jpg
Views: 775
Size:  342.8 KB
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420674860.357812.jpg
Views: 809
Size:  379.8 KB

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel

Last edited by Sojhinn; 01-07-2015 at 07:12 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sojhinn For This Useful Post:
Cockatoo (01-07-2015), DAEMANO (01-07-2015), Mad1723 (01-07-2015), quicksilver30 (01-07-2015), The Tengu (01-07-2015)
Old 01-07-2015, 07:11 PM   #87
zoth

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium Dark Gray Metallic
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Ordered, can't wait...
Moto-East Flex-Fuel Kit (Almost running 100% E85 all the time)
DW 700 cc Injectors-Tune by (Moto-East)-KW Oil Cooler
zoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 07:31 PM   #88
Mad1723

Drives: Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Thanks @Sojhinn ! Can't wait to receive mine to see how good it looks Report back when you have a bit of oil in there
Mad1723 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mad1723 For This Useful Post:
Sojhinn (01-07-2015)
Old 01-08-2015, 05:29 AM   #89
keen as

Drives: 86 GT MT
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
I already have your mini catch can I received a month ago. Is it possible to have just the bracket and the moulded tubes sent to me in Australia? They would make it a very neat installation.

I replied to a PM you sent me previously.
keen as is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:56 AM   #90
Mishimoto

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojhinn View Post
John I'm pming you. I have a question.
Thanks!

Quote:
Can't wait to get feedback @Sojhinn ! I'm waiting on mine, can't wait to hear external opinions on this!
+1. All orders have been shipped so you should have your kit very soon.

Quote:
Review:

Let me start with the bad, so that I can get passed it and move onto the overwhelmingly good.

Upon receiving the kit and starting to setup the parts I decided to open the catch can. When I did I found some threads that were stripped. If it wasn't for the fact that it made the can a lot harder to open I would ignore it but there was an issue.

Credit goes here for John and mishimoto who are going to replace the catch can top for me immediately. This doesn't hamper performance or even affect the product but John wants me to get a perfect catch can and they are replacing the defective part. Thanks John!

Now for the rest:

The catch can is well built and well thought out. I really like the placement of the can as I am running the phantom electric supercharger and do not have room for a can near the batteries since I already have a bunch of stuff there.

The can looks like it belongs in the engine bay but I kinda wish the red was a bit darker. Oh well.

Install:

I had plans on making an install video and found out upon opening the box that one was already made by mishimoto.

No point in remaking the wheel but I want to clarify a few things.

When removing the engine cover be careful that you don't break the rear tabs. Just push in the tab from the front and rotate. It should pop off easily. Don't force anything.

When removing the pcv tube (oem) I could smell oil and fuel. Ugh should of gotten a can sooner.

When installing the clamp on the pcv valve slide your hand under the jumbles of wires... It makes it easier to tighten, and also make sure it's pretightened so you don't waste time around the engine. (If engine is hot be careful because everything around this part of the car is hot.) Picture below you can see how my hand goes underneath

Also for tightening I recommend a 7mm socket screwdriver instead of a flat head screwdriver.

Everything else is pretty is simple but I am curious why the tube that leads from the catch can to the intake doesn't have a clamp on the intake side. (Can has one)

Finishing touches:

On my drive around I didn't hear any noises from the can and time will tell how well it works. Here's a few shots on how it looks. I'm happy with my purchase thus far and kinda wish I had done this sooner after smelling the tube.
Thanks for the awesome review Steve!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoth View Post
Ordered, can't wait...
Thanks for the order!

Quote:
Thanks @Sojhinn ! Can't wait to receive mine to see how good it looks Report back when you have a bit of oil in there
Looking forward to everyone's results and feedback. Feel free to post up your installed shots once you have the kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keen as View Post
I already have your mini catch can I received a month ago. Is it possible to have just the bracket and the moulded tubes sent to me in Australia? They would make it a very neat installation.

I replied to a PM you sent me previously.
Sending you a PM shortly!
Mishimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 11:46 AM   #91
Mad1723

Drives: Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
@Mishimoto I'm not worried about it, I have the tracking and everything. The car is stored for winter here anyway, so it's not going to be installed until snow starts melting
Mad1723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 07:25 PM   #92
maxjedi
The Cloudmaker

Drives: GT86, G37S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I was lucky to order mine, with blue hoses, just a few hours before the pre-sale was closed.

... my build thread: maxjedi's turbo "daily drifter" GT86 ...
maxjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:01 PM   #93
sid325

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Installed mine, nice and clean. Did everyone use a hose clamp on lower hose on top of the engine? The factory hose didn't use one. I had an extra spring type clamp that I used.Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420768908.926155.jpg
Views: 1377
Size:  248.4 KB
sid325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:14 PM   #94
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid325 View Post
Installed mine, nice and clean. Did everyone use a hose clamp on lower hose on top of the engine? The factory hose didn't use one. I had an extra spring type clamp that I used.Attachment 99969

I used three of included clamps on the following areas:

Both in/out of the catch cans.

Pcv valve connection.

I am adding a clamp to the Intake manifold connection.

Installed Mods:
Old 01-09-2015, 12:02 PM   #95
Mishimoto

Thanks for all of the orders guys! This pre-sale is now closed. Looking forward to more feedback as these kits start arriving at your doorsteps!

Quote:
@Mishimoto I'm not worried about it, I have the tracking and everything. The car is stored for winter here anyway, so it's not going to be installed until snow starts melting
Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxjedi View Post
I was lucky to order mine, with blue hoses, just a few hours before the pre-sale was closed.
Thanks for the order!

Quote:
I used three of included clamps on the following areas:

Both in/out of the catch cans.

Pcv valve connection.

I am adding a clamp to the Intake manifold connection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sid325 View Post
Installed mine, nice and clean. Did everyone use a hose clamp on lower hose on top of the engine? The factory hose didn't use one. I had an extra spring type clamp that I used.
Sounds like these kits are missing a clamp! We intended for each hose connection to use one of our included clamps. Sounds as if you guys have sorted out a solution, let us know if you would like us to send out an additional clamp!

Thanks
-John
Old 01-09-2015, 12:27 PM   #96
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishimoto View Post
Thanks for all of the orders guys! This pre-sale is now closed. Looking forward to more feedback as these kits start arriving at your doorsteps!

Awesome!

Thanks for the order!

Sounds like these kits are missing a clamp! We intended for each hose connection to use one of our included clamps. Sounds as if you guys have sorted out a solution, let us know if you would like us to send out an additional clamp!

Thanks
-John

John I think it's intended as the video didn't show a clamp on the intake manifold. Am I wrong? Would love to know.

Installed Mods:
Old 01-09-2015, 04:24 PM   #97
Mishimoto

Quote:
John I think it's intended as the video didn't show a clamp on the intake manifold. Am I wrong? Would love to know.
Yes, it appears as though we did not install the fourth clamp in the video, whoops! I spoke with the engineer who developed this kit and he did intend for four clamps to be installed (one on each connection point).

Thanks
-John
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mishimoto For This Useful Post:
Sojhinn (01-09-2015), WRB5titch (01-09-2015)
Old 01-09-2015, 08:10 PM   #98
Cockatoo
TALLY FT86

Drives: 2014 FR-S Monogram -- SBD Turbo --
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishimoto View Post
Yes, it appears as though we did not install the fourth clamp in the video, whoops! I spoke with the engineer who developed this kit and he did intend for four clamps to be installed (one on each connection point).

Thanks
-John
So free extra clamps for everyone?
Cockatoo is offline   Reply With Quote