follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86

User Tag List

Old 11-19-2023, 10:51 PM   #1
Sjej

Drives: 2010 Ford Edge Sport
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Help Me Choose: 2nd Gen or Facelift BRZ

Hey everyone,
A while back, I sought advice here on whether to go for a BRZ as my next car, and the responses convinced me it's the right choice. Now, as the time to buy approaches, I'm torn between a 2nd gen BRZ and a facelift BRZ.

Currently driving a '10 Edge, it's reliable and semi-fun but not a sports car. Financially, with good habits, a part-time job, and some parental support, affording a BRZ seems feasible. But here's the dilemma:

A brand new BRZ is $30k minimum, while a facelift BRZ ranges $20-24k. Affording both is possible, but as second car, it might be too much. Monthly costs for a new BRZ could potentially put me in a less-than-ideal financial situation. Waiting seems logical, but will the price increase, and will it still be sold new?

I test drove a facelift BRZ, and it was a blast. However, a $6k difference gets a much more refined, brand new car, with warranty, and much better looks (to me). I got to feel how great the car handles, how quick it feels, how basic, but nice the interior is, and most importantly, I got it sideways. It was overall a great experience, and I got to do plenty of things I've been wanting to do, and feel how the car handles. I also aim to keep it for a long time as well, which is why I want to get the second gen.

I've discussed this with others, and opinions vary. Some say it's a good idea, but many advise saving for a house. I get it, but the desire for the BRZ persists.

Concerns also arise about having a sports car at my age. I've invested in sim-racing to improve skills, but I'm not a pro, and RWD IS risky. I get that. I've had my close calls on the street and moments where I realized I'm not a good driver, and I should not act like one. I've learned a lot of lessons.

The BRZ would split daily driving duties with the edge and be a fun car/weekend car. I would only take the edge to work, as taking the BRZ to worksites does not sound like a good idea.

In summary, I'm torn between the facelift and new BRZ, considering the financial impact and potential risks. I'd love to hear others' thoughts and experiences.
Thanks!
Sjej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 11:20 PM   #2
VoltsFRS2013

Drives: 2022' GR86 Premium 6MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
As someone who has owned all three, the GR86 / BRZ 2022+ is a fantastic car. Arguably the best car you can buy brand new for the money if you want that specific format under $45,000 - $50,000 with a warranty.

That being said, If it's going to put you in a financial pickle I think a 17+ BRZ makes way more sense and you can 100% find a clean one second hand for a great deal. In the grand scheme if you get one that's fully loaded it really isn't that much less "nice" than a 2022+ nor are they that much slower in the grand scheme either. Both are fantastic cars.

Ultimately would boil down to what you can justify financially. If you were worried about finances I'd hop in a decently used (50,000 miles or more) well maintained 17+ model. Get one private party for a good deal, enjoy it for a year or two. Sell it for around what you paid given you mentioned its going to be your weekend car and then upgrade to a 2022+ CPO model.
VoltsFRS2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VoltsFRS2013 For This Useful Post:
Sjej (11-20-2023)
Old 11-19-2023, 11:59 PM   #3
Sjej

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoltsFRS2013 View Post
As someone who has owned all three, the GR86 / BRZ 2022+ is a fantastic car. Arguably the best car you can buy brand new for the money if you want that specific format under $45,000 - $50,000 with a warranty.

That being said, If it's going to put you in a financial pickle I think a 17+ BRZ makes way more sense and you can 100% find a clean one second hand for a great deal. In the grand scheme if you get one that's fully loaded it really isn't that much less "nice" than a 2022+ nor are they that much slower in the grand scheme either. Both are fantastic cars.

Ultimately would boil down to what you can justify financially. If you were worried about finances I'd hop in a decently used (50,000 miles or more) well maintained 17+ model. Get one private party for a good deal, enjoy it for a year or two. Sell it for around what you paid given you mentioned its going to be your weekend car and then upgrade to a 2022+ CPO model.

Thank you! This sounds like a good solution. That may be what I have to do. I was planning on financing from 5-10k on a 2022+ brz if i did buy brand new, and I'd want at least 30-40k saved up before I do go to buy it. I was thinking should I not meet those goals it would be wise to just go and do exactly as you said, buy a 17-20 brz and enjoy it until i can afford a 22+.
Old 11-20-2023, 01:25 AM   #4
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,433 Times in 6,148 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
As an alternative, why not save more money and get a pre-facelift year? Sub $20k car that's just as fun, and you can save more for a new 2nd gen (or some other nice car) a few years down the road, maybe when you have said house others were suggesting to park it at.

I will say I bought my '13 new a year after I started working (with a little help from my aunt), but I wouldn't have if I wasn't 100% sure I could afford it. I suggest not getting too much in debt on a new car due to depreciation issues.
The Following User Says Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
x808drifter (11-20-2023)
Old 11-20-2023, 03:11 AM   #5
alex87f
Meow

Drives: GT86, Volvo 996
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Based on your prior posts, you're still studying and very young, in which case I see very little sense in having two cars.

Either ditch the Edge and get into a used 86 (with the driver aids on, it's not riskier to drive than any other car on the market), or get a sports car later. They'll still be around.
alex87f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 08:38 AM   #6
fredzy
Mebmer

Drives: Sienna, GR86, FL5
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
I was going to say financing a used car might shake out to being near as expensive as new since rates are usually a lot higher, but you're talking about buying one of these mostly cash? Hard to say for your situation, I'd consider financing more and then decided after living with it a year or two what you want to do long term. Maybe (hopefully an option soon) refi to a lower rate and can plunk some extra cash down at that point if you want to minimize payments etc. You might want all that cash for a house or something.

If you were planning to do a lot of modding I'd 100% go 2nd gen and hold off on any modding for a few years instead.
fredzy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fredzy For This Useful Post:
Sjej (11-20-2023)
Old 11-20-2023, 10:14 AM   #7
foshjowler

Drives: 2022 BRZ; 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I've owned a fair number of cars, a first and second gen BRZ are the current stable mates, and I would absolutely say, don't put yourself in a compromised financial position over a car. It's not worth it. I did it after I got my first adult job, and found myself with more credit card debt than I was comfortable with.

I'm confident in saying the 2nd gen a $10k better car, but only spend that money if it doesn't materially hurt your day to day life and being able to do other things that you enjoy.

Autox Videos
foshjowler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foshjowler For This Useful Post:
Lantanafrs2 (11-20-2023), Sjej (11-20-2023)
Old 11-20-2023, 10:42 AM   #8
x808drifter
LMGTFY

Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,625 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by foshjowler View Post
I've owned a fair number of cars, a first and second gen BRZ are the current stable mates, and I would absolutely say, don't put yourself in a compromised financial position over a car. It's not worth it. I did it after I got my first adult job, and found myself with more credit card debt than I was comfortable with.

I'm confident in saying the 2nd gen a $10k better car, but only spend that money if it doesn't materially hurt your day to day life and being able to do other things that you enjoy.
But you have to agree...
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to x808drifter For This Useful Post:
bcj (11-20-2023), pope (11-22-2023), Sjej (11-20-2023)
Old 11-20-2023, 02:15 PM   #9
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,230 Times in 703 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I'd be hesitant to buy a $30k car with only a part-time job.
Spuds (11-21-2023), vindiesel (11-30-2023)
Old 11-20-2023, 02:31 PM   #10
HKz
Reformed

Drives: '23 GRC, '11 Prius, '04 RAV4
Thanked 1,133 Times in 588 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
if you're single, sell the edge and get lowest mileage 1st gen you can afford...love the 2nd gen but in your financial situation it isn't worth the premium for a car that is essentially the same.

just be prepared, you never know how badly beaten on the twin was before you take over...bad TOB, tired synchros, leaking valve cover/block plate, hopefully no 2013 so you avoid valve spring fiasco, etc...so in short you never know and you could always end up getting stuck with a large bill. so that gives some merit to a new twin with a warranty but i still don't think it is that wise financially in your situation....insurance alone will be a bitch. hard to say, maybe keeping the edge and finding an even cheaper fun car like a nc miata/350z might be the better option that way you always have something you can rely on and not be on the hook for a newer vehicle.
HKz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HKz For This Useful Post:
Sjej (11-20-2023)
Old 11-20-2023, 09:05 PM   #11
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,654 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I don't see you getting out the door for 30k if you're buying a new one.
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 09:21 PM   #12
Sjej

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
As an alternative, why not save more money and get a pre-facelift year? Sub $20k car that's just as fun, and you can save more for a new 2nd gen (or some other nice car) a few years down the road, maybe when you have said house others were suggesting to park it at.

I will say I bought my '13 new a year after I started working (with a little help from my aunt), but I wouldn't have if I wasn't 100% sure I could afford it. I suggest not getting too much in debt on a new car due to depreciation issues.

Yeah I was thinking of doing this too, but I'm worried about spending a lot on mods. Seems like something I'd do, while the 2nd gen would be stock for a while. But the first gen is a great car and I was actually considering it because it is less refined and since it wouldn't be my only car seems like that'd be more fun
Old 11-20-2023, 09:22 PM   #13
Sjej

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex87f View Post
Based on your prior posts, you're still studying and very young, in which case I see very little sense in having two cars.

Either ditch the Edge and get into a used 86 (with the driver aids on, it's not riskier to drive than any other car on the market), or get a sports car later. They'll still be around.

You're not wrong, but since I'm going directly into the trades as soon as I graduate I'm working with a relative who owns a company. I'd be doing side jobs with him after work or by myself in the future that would require some sort of transportation for me and my tools and not worrying about it getting dinged up. If I ditch the edge and go with only an 86, it would work, and its possible, but it's not ideal. It might end up being what happens though
Old 11-20-2023, 09:24 PM   #14
Sjej

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
I'd be hesitant to buy a $30k car with only a part-time job.

I might've worded my post badly. I have a part-time job now, but by the time I go to buy it I'd have a full year of full-time work experience, and I would likely have quit the part-time job by then. I might even wait until I'm 20/21.